What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
101Walterton
The Best

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 4:52pm
BitterTom wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 4:32pm
A bit of a wanky album but this one is a great opener and song in general. Good build up, massive wall of sound in the chorus, very nice.
Oasis: Okay here goes some good tunes. However everything recorded way to fucking loud everything sounds bombastic there recordings are brickwalled to fuck.

Now if they had taken a different approach with a bit more finesse and care to their craft then maybe some of their music would stand the test of time but they were too big headed and arrogant and believed everything they did was awesome. But the truth is they sound really dated and half of their songs are at least 2 - 3 mins to long.

The band's that they stole from The Beatles/T. Rex/ The Faces and so on are all classic band's with awesome back catalogues whereas Oasis are not fit to be mentioned in the same breath.
It was after listening to this album that Noel realised the points you made. He subsequently sacked half the band and all later Oasis albums don’t sound like this (they are also not as good).

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 5:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 5:10pm
A quarter century later, plenty of time to evaluate, who was better: Oasis or Blur?

Was never a fan of either, but I'll take a Blur best-of over an Oasis one any day of the week.
Blur hands down no contest.
It would be interesting to make a combined top 10.
Blur would win they had more good songs.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
A bit of a wanky album but this one is a great opener and song in general. Good build up, massive wall of sound in the chorus, very nice.
Oasis: Okay here goes some good tunes. However everything recorded way to fucking loud everything sounds bombastic there recordings are brickwalled to fuck.

Now if they had taken a different approach with a bit more finesse and care to their craft then maybe some of their music would stand the test of time but they were too big headed and arrogant and believed everything they did was awesome. But the truth is they sound really dated and half of their songs are at least 2 - 3 mins to long.

The band's that they stole from The Beatles/T. Rex/ The Faces and so on are all classic band's with awesome back catalogues whereas Oasis are not fit to be mentioned in the same breath.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Saying that, my main bugbear with Oasis is Liam's nasally whining voice. Like nails down a blackboard to me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
A quarter century later, plenty of time to evaluate, who was better: Oasis or Blur?

Was never a fan of either, but I'll take a Blur best-of over an Oasis one any day of the week.
Don't need time to evaluate, I thought Blur were better then and think they're better now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 6:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Saying that, my main bugbear with Oasis is Liam's nasally whining voice. Like nails down a blackboard to me.
That’s why their best songs are sung by Noel.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Crab Juice... Now More than Ever

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Crab Juice... Now More than Ever
Ha! My original post included a "no crab juice" comment, but I figured it would encourage the choice."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 6:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Don't need time to evaluate, I thought Blur were better then and think they're better now.
But would you call yourself a fan? I could make an ep or mini-album of the Blur songs I genuinely like.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 7:19pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

But would you call yourself a fan? I could make an ep or mini-album of the Blur songs I genuinely like.
Could probably fill a cdr with no problem.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 7:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Always liked Graham Coxon's solo stuff more than Blur. "Freakin' Out" is better than any Blur tune.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 7:52pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Always liked Graham Coxon's solo stuff more than Blur. "Freakin' Out" is better than any Blur tune.
Hello,

Happiness in Magazines is solid throughout. I think the same for Love Travels at Illegal Speeds.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 7:52pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Happiness in Magazines is solid throughout. I think the same for Love Travels at Illegal Speeds.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Departure - Dirty Words. These guys form a pretty solid guitar band. I learned of them on a compilation called Future's Burning featuring a lot of 00's new wave revival guitar bands - some I heard of (Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs), and some I hadn't (these guys, for one). If you like Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs, etc., you'll probably like this band.

Heston

Post by Heston »

It often gets overshadowed by The Story of the Blues but I forgot what a great single this is. Moving lyric about the economic suffering of Liverpool in the 80s, and love the references to You'll Never Walk Alone and She Loves You. What really surprises me in retrospect is how much it sounds like the Manic Street Preachers.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 5:51pm
It often gets overshadowed by The Story of the Blues but I forgot what a great single this is. Moving lyric about the economic suffering of Liverpool in the 80s, and love the references to You'll Never Walk Alone and She Loves You. What really surprises me in retrospect is how much it sounds like the Manic Street Preachers.

Brilliant song and a brilliant band. Check out the single "Weekends" from the same album fantastic.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia