What Are you Listening to Right Now?

General music discussion.
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35331
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 5:51pm
Joe. St. Anne’s. 4/1/2002.
Result

I'm about to check Maj's "bunch of fives."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1702
Joined: 07 Jul 2008, 7:56am
Location: Dundee Scotland

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by dave202 »

Wolter wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 5:51pm
Joe. St. Anne’s. 4/1/2002.
I would love to listen to one of those St Anne's gigs again! I had the five on a hard drive that crashed many years ago, and all I have is fond memories. Good choice to play today.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35331
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston »

Fucking love this album...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2365
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 8:41pm
Fucking love this album...

Hello,

Agreed.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 92680
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »



Never would have expected Swans guitarist Norman Westberg to become an engrossing ambient composer, but for the last decade or so he's produced some hypnotic work. This is from a new ep, and it sounds like hope, like sunshine after a storm.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35331
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 8:49pm


Never would have expected Swans guitarist Norman Westberg to become an engrossing ambient composer, but for the last decade or so he's produced some hypnotic work. This is from a new ep, and it sounds like hope, like sunshine after a storm.
Was just about to click on it then I saw the small print.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 35331
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Heston »

Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 9:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 8:49pm


Never would have expected Swans guitarist Norman Westberg to become an engrossing ambient composer, but for the last decade or so he's produced some hypnotic work. This is from a new ep, and it sounds like hope, like sunshine after a storm.
Was just about to click on it then I saw the small print.
This is weird as fuck. Just after I wrote this I saw a post on my Facebook page that said this...
Just been to local refuse centre. I was asked by tip employee to turn my music (SWANS playing) off in car when unloading as it was upsetting fellow customers😀. Could have been a lot worse, track before was Whitehouse and Penderecki followed after Swans. They don't know how lucky they were.
I'm assuming he's talking about the same band?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 92680
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 9:40pm
Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 9:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 8:49pm


Never would have expected Swans guitarist Norman Westberg to become an engrossing ambient composer, but for the last decade or so he's produced some hypnotic work. This is from a new ep, and it sounds like hope, like sunshine after a storm.
Was just about to click on it then I saw the small print.
This is weird as fuck. Just after I wrote this I saw a post on my Facebook page that said this...
Just been to local refuse centre. I was asked by tip employee to turn my music (SWANS playing) off in car when unloading as it was upsetting fellow customers😀. Could have been a lot worse, track before was Whitehouse and Penderecki followed after Swans. They don't know how lucky they were.
I'm assuming he's talking about the same band?
No idea what Whitehouse and Penderecki is (a shady lawfirm?).

But NW's ambient work is nothing like Swans (tho perhaps in spirit; but not sound). If you don't like ambient, this will do nothing for you, but it's as far from terror music as you could imagine.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48589
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 9:40pm
Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 9:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 8:49pm


Never would have expected Swans guitarist Norman Westberg to become an engrossing ambient composer, but for the last decade or so he's produced some hypnotic work. This is from a new ep, and it sounds like hope, like sunshine after a storm.
Was just about to click on it then I saw the small print.
This is weird as fuck. Just after I wrote this I saw a post on my Facebook page that said this...
Just been to local refuse centre. I was asked by tip employee to turn my music (SWANS playing) off in car when unloading as it was upsetting fellow customers😀. Could have been a lot worse, track before was Whitehouse and Penderecki followed after Swans. They don't know how lucky they were.
I'm assuming he's talking about the same band?
Krzysztof Penderecki is a famous Polish composer who did the score for the Exorcist. He has collaborated with Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead in later years.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

laxman
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2802
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by laxman »

Ruts DC Electracoustic. A couple of tracks with the performance here;


Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 48589
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
26 Dec 2020, 2:48pm
Ruts DC Electracoustic. A couple of tracks with the performance here;

Boss!
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12945
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 4:48am
Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 9:40pm
Heston wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 9:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 8:49pm


Never would have expected Swans guitarist Norman Westberg to become an engrossing ambient composer, but for the last decade or so he's produced some hypnotic work. This is from a new ep, and it sounds like hope, like sunshine after a storm.
Was just about to click on it then I saw the small print.
This is weird as fuck. Just after I wrote this I saw a post on my Facebook page that said this...
Just been to local refuse centre. I was asked by tip employee to turn my music (SWANS playing) off in car when unloading as it was upsetting fellow customers😀. Could have been a lot worse, track before was Whitehouse and Penderecki followed after Swans. They don't know how lucky they were.
I'm assuming he's talking about the same band?
Krzysztof Penderecki is a famous Polish composer who did the score for the Exorcist. He has collaborated with Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead in later years.

I’m a big Penderecki fan. His chamber music is great.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4456
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by WestwayKid »

7AC79697-63B3-4899-BBFA-E01C990FBBF3.jpeg
I’m really loving this right now. Great song selection that works well with the minimalist approach he uses. Guy is a freaking genius.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Rock on George, one time for Ringo." - Ringo Starr

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 16425
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Silent Majority »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 2:02pm
7AC79697-63B3-4899-BBFA-E01C990FBBF3.jpeg

I’m really loving this right now. Great song selection that works well with the minimalist approach he uses. Guy is a freaking genius.
Funny, I'm just at the other end of time, listening to the Birthday Party's BBC sessions.
Once I got to the mountain top, tell you what I could see
Prairie full of lost souls running from the priests of iniquity


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12945
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: What Are you Listening to Right Now?

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 2:02pm
7AC79697-63B3-4899-BBFA-E01C990FBBF3.jpeg

I’m really loving this right now. Great song selection that works well with the minimalist approach he uses. Guy is a freaking genius.
I got a taste of this when I saw him on his speaking tour. Great stuff.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Post Reply