ELVIS WEEK

General music discussion.
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

ELVIS WEEK

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Happy Elvis week.

Listening to this collection of his more sentimental love song type stuff, to kick things off:

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Re: ELVIS WEEK

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Elvis fucking Presley
[youtube][/youtube]

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Listen to Presley on guitar. The man should never have put it down.

[youtube][/youtube]
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

For the record, if anyone thinks Elvis never did anything good after Sun/the Army/whatever arbitrary moment he ceased being "cool," then From Elvis In Memphis is your refutation/revelation.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Is any criticism allowed or is this purely a celebration of the fat bastard's music?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:Is any criticism allowed or is this purely a celebration of the fat bastard's music?
He's ripe for some ribbing right?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:Is any criticism allowed or is this purely a celebration of the fat bastard's music?
He's ripe for some ribbing right?
I've got a feeling the answer is no.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Criticism is fine. The man was amazing, but flawed Just remember that any criticisms of Elvis will be met with reminders that:

1. KISS and Starship exist.
2. If Elvis covered Black Diamond it would have OWNED the KISS version.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:Criticism is fine. The man was amazing, but flawed Just remember that any criticisms of Elvis will be met with reminders that:

So that'll mean you'll refrain from criticizing ANYONE in future, Dimebag?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:Criticism is fine. The man was amazing, but flawed Just remember that any criticisms of Elvis will be met with reminders that:

So that'll mean you'll refrain from criticizing ANYONE in future, Dimebag?
I found a cool video of Warrant playing in the early 90's right as grunge was coming into vogue and they were getting trash thrown at them and Dimebag came out and sang on the chorus ("Down Boys") with them.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

No, Vinnie. Some of us don't get our ankh in a bunch when our heroes turn out to have feet of makeupless clay.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:For the record, if anyone thinks Elvis never did anything good after Sun/the Army/whatever arbitrary moment he ceased being "cool," then From Elvis In Memphis is your refutation/revelation.
Wolter wrote:Criticism is fine. The man was amazing, but flawed
Okay, I'll bite. I won't say he didn't do anything good post-Army, but the drop in quality is astounding. Whether he got supremely lazy, spoiled, or lacked a capacity to say no to Tom Parker with all those awful movies (albeit awfully entertaining from another perspective) with even worse songs, taken as a whole his post-Army career is but a shadow of what he did when he first burst forth. Reminds me of Lydon in that respect—a mind-blowing initial output followed by ever-diminishing returns that make one wish he'd just stop. Elvis was undeniably talented but for the most part he squandered that talent once he'd made it.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:For the record, if anyone thinks Elvis never did anything good after Sun/the Army/whatever arbitrary moment he ceased being "cool," then From Elvis In Memphis is your refutation/revelation.
Wolter wrote:Criticism is fine. The man was amazing, but flawed
Okay, I'll bite. I won't say he didn't do anything good post-Army, but the drop in quality is astounding. Whether he got supremely lazy, spoiled, or lacked a capacity to say no to Tom Parker with all those awful movies (albeit awfully entertaining from another perspective) with even worse songs, taken as a whole his post-Army career is but a shadow of what he did when he first burst forth. Reminds me of Lydon in that respect—a mind-blowing initial output followed by ever-diminishing returns that make one wish he'd just stop. Elvis was undeniably talented but for the most part he squandered that talent once he'd made it.
I would never say otherwise. He had no fucking quality control and while there are always random gems, he was never as good post-Army...or even close. Laziness, substance abuse, weak will, a desperate desire to be a star in all media, the loss of his mother, whatever, there was a drop.

However, from about 1968-1971 or so, he got a lot of that spark back, and with an amazing set of sidemen and a mature voice, he had a hell of a short-term career Renaissance. I am speaking of the kind of person who writes off his entire career after an arbitrary set point, and refuses to even give the later Elvis a try. I'm willing to say that the post-comeback, Pre-lounge act Elvis is every bit as good in a different way as the Hillbilly Cat period on Sun or the early King of Rock 'n' Roll years when he was the biggest star on earth.

Sooner or later, Olaf will pop up with a more spirited defense of the Jumpsuit Years than I care to, but up through even the mid-70s, he could definitely turn on some amazing performances when the stars aligned.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I pretty easily listen to 68-71(ish) era Elvis more than the pre-army stuff. The peanut-to-shit ratio may be way out of whack relative to his earlier career, but when it works it works for me better than anything else in his catalog.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!