The Jam

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Jam

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:First heard The Jam when they went straight in at No.1 in 1982 and did 'Town Called Malice and 'Precious' back to back on TOTP when it was a rare thing for songs to be a new entry at number 1.
Not the first time The Jam had done it and not the last.
First time both sides of the No.1 single was played on TOTP's since The Beatles.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've just discovered this show and it sounds more like a set of high quality alternate takes as the recording is so good and the crowd noise is very low (Japan). Top notch stuff...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 7:25pm
I've just discovered this show and it sounds more like a set of high quality alternate takes as the recording is so good and the crowd noise is very low (Japan). Top notch stuff...

I've got that on vinyl.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 10:02pm
Heston wrote:

I've got that on vinyl.
They didnt move about much in their live perfromances did they?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 7:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I've got that on vinyl.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 7:15pm
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I've got that on vinyl.
Sorry, was a bad joke based upon the visual part of the live video. I realize not all youtube videos have a video compnemt.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 7:21pm
Kory wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 7:15pm
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I've got that on vinyl.
Sorry, was a bad joke based upon the visual part of the live video. I realize not all youtube videos have a video compnemt.
Oh NOW I get it

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:

They've been blessed with having some fantastic sounding live shows on tape. Fire and Skill is an incredible set. I'll have to give this one a listen, but from the first minute or so I heard - sounds good.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 2:36pm
Heston wrote:

They've been blessed with having some fantastic sounding live shows on tape. Fire and Skill is an incredible set. I'll have to give this one a listen, but from the first minute or so I heard - sounds good.
some of those Jam live shows that have made the deluxe edititions have not had the best mixes. There have been polarity issues and other problems noted by various fans. I guess it's a difficult thing to please fans who have heard great sounding radio shows and boots down the years. Fire & Skill is lovely packages set but it contained nothing new to the ardent fan.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Does anyone have an opinion on the Jam books out there? I've just ordered the Paolo Hewitt one, but at only 144 pages, it seems like it's not really going to give me all I need.

There's this one by Dennis Munday, but I can't find anything that says how many pages it is (though it seems to get some decent reviews): https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDe ... 1-_-title1

And then this one by "From the Jam," which many people seem to think has a bit of a sour grapes feel to it: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDe ... ortby%3D17

People seem to like this one, "Sounds From the Street": https://www.abebooks.com/9781905287628/ ... 287623/plp

I'm in the middle of this one right now, really enjoying it as a look into the life of a contemporary Jam fan: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDe ... 1-_-title1

Strikes me as kind of weird that the Jam were consistently voted higher than The Clash in the weeklies, but seem to be severely underrepresented in print—I can't find anything that might be at the level of the Marcus Gray or Pat Gilbert books. Anyone have any insight on the quality of the above books or have recs for other good ones?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

These are the ones I have. Though I also have "Sounds From the Street" but can't find it.

The Dennis Munday book is 401 pages.
Attachments
20220714_210657.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 4:10pm
These are the ones I have. Though I also have "Sounds From the Street" but can't find it.

Do you own them because they're all worth owning, or just because they're part of a Jam collection that you're loathe to decrease?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 4:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Do you own them because they're all worth owning, or just because they're part of a Jam collection that you're loathe to decrease?
I like them all. A couple are rare. The "A Thousand Things" box set would set you back well over £500.00. It has some early personal family photos and is individually signed by Paul. It also includes a 12" single with 4 demo tracks that later appeared on "In The City" album but not versions that have been released on the deluxe set. They are specific to this box.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 14 Jul 2022, 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 6:00pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I like them all. A couple are rare.
If you had to pick a couple of the better ones, which ones would you recommend as must have reading for a fan of the Jam?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sparky wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 6:02pm
Marky Dread wrote:
14 Jul 2022, 6:00pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I like them all. A couple are rare.
If you had to pick a couple of the better ones, which ones would you recommend as must have reading for a fan of the Jam?
"Shout to the Top" and "Pop Art Poems" have the recording info the later covers a lot of the unreleased demos and outtakes. That's what I enjoy reading about the most.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia