The Jam

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Jam

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:I know I've mentioned before, but it's criminal how this wasn't released instead of the overcooked single version. The drums sound fantastic...

[youtube][/youtube]
It's a great track from the Jam's best album.

Which one is it ?

A demo version was first released on the Snap! compilation. This featured engineer Peter Wilson on drums and Paul Weller on all other instruments. A later demo version with Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler in their respective roles appeared on the Direction Reaction Creation boxed set. These versions feature a fuller arrangement, but lacked the flourishes of the final released version. The version which appears on The Sound of the Jam and Paul Weller's Hit Parade is the "Snap!" version with the bass and drums removed.
That one.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:I know I've mentioned before, but it's criminal how this wasn't released instead of the overcooked single version. The drums sound fantastic...

[youtube][/youtube]
It's a great track from the Jam's best album.

Which one is it ?

A demo version was first released on the Snap! compilation. This featured engineer Peter Wilson on drums and Paul Weller on all other instruments. A later demo version with Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler in their respective roles appeared on the Direction Reaction Creation boxed set. These versions feature a fuller arrangement, but lacked the flourishes of the final released version. The version which appears on The Sound of the Jam and Paul Weller's Hit Parade is the "Snap!" version with the bass and drums removed.
That one.
So that's the single version we all bought on import metronome label (german) ? That makes 3 version and 1 variant.

I agree it's the best version, the single drum stick hitting the snare sound on the 7'' version ruins things for me. Wellere and Buckler had a falling out over that if memory serves.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 06 Dec 2011, 10:52pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:I'd like to ask at what stage did you get into The Jam ? as I think this may have a bearing on what is your prefered album (as is often the case with The Clash).

I had ITC, but it left me cold except for Art School, ITC and I Got By In Time. Then I heard Eton Rifles on local college radio and decided to pick up Snap!
Early tracks that I dug would be Strange Town (seems to be a theme in this thread), Tube Station, A Bomb and Going Underground.

My current top three are:
Tube Station
Private Hell
Ghosts
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Can we talk a little bit about Sound Affects and its supposed influencing by post-punk? This fact has been mentioned both here and at other sites and I'm just wondering what parts of the influence you see in this album? For me, it's minimal.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

The basslines are pretty post-punk. I mostly hear the Mod sound in it though. Like in "Start!" I hear the Beatles and the Who, not Gang of Four or PiL.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:Can we talk a little bit about Sound Affects and its supposed influencing by post-punk? This fact has been mentioned both here and at other sites and I'm just wondering what parts of the influence you see in this album? For me, it's minimal.
The cranked bass and funk elements, I guess.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

One of my all-time favorite bands. Bruce Foxton is probably my favorite bass player ever.

Favorites:

I Got By In Time
Art School (I lived it)
Saturday's Kids
I've Changed My Address
Funeral Pyre
When You're Young
Boy About Town
Strange Town
Going Underground
Smithers-Jones (Did GenX lift the guitar bit off this for "Kiss Me Deadly" or was it the other way around?)
That's Entertainment
Shopping (I know, I know. Kind of a throwaway track, but I really like the horn section on it.. Coulda been a Bacharach tune)

Their cover of Mayfield's "Move On Up" is probably the best cover they did.. I know that doesn't sound like much since the rest of their covers are garbage.
Last edited by modskin on 06 Dec 2011, 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Kory wrote:Can we talk a little bit about Sound Affects and its supposed influencing by post-punk? This fact has been mentioned both here and at other sites and I'm just wondering what parts of the influence you see in this album? For me, it's minimal.
I dont see any, sounds more like a natural progression from AMC to SS to Sound Affects.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I can hear bits of Post Punk influence, especially on Set the House Ablaze and Scrape Away.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Add (ist) to the above and your'e there. The sound is stripped back for The Jam on "That's Entertainment" and experimental on "Dream Time" and "Music For the Last Couple".

It's easily The Jam's most adventurous outing. With Weller heading out of his comfort zone.

Weller acknowledges the influence of Wire, JD and Go4. It's starker than other Jam albums and more contemporary.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

First heard The Jam when they went straight in at No.1 in 1982 and did 'Town Called Malice and 'Precious' back to back on TOTP when it was a rare thing for songs to be a new entry at number 1. Thought Weller looked cool as fuck as well around that time.

Classic Jam

English Rose
Saturday's Kids
Private Hell
Little Boy Soldiers
That's Entertainment
Man in the Corner Shop
Tales From The Riverbank (maybe the best b'side ever)
Town Called Malice
Beat Surrender
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dirty Harry wrote:Tales From The Riverbank (maybe the best b'side ever)
Maybe only bettered by the Butterfly Collector.

mike on ice
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by mike on ice »

Dug out Snap for the first time in a while because of this thread. Fuck, I love this band.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Been listening to AMC all weekend to reconfirm that it is their best and I was right :mrgreen: .

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dirty Harry wrote:First heard The Jam when they went straight in at No.1 in 1982 and did 'Town Called Malice and 'Precious' back to back on TOTP when it was a rare thing for songs to be a new entry at number 1.
Not the first time The Jam had done it and not the last.