Rock n Roll Trivia Challenge 2012

General music discussion.
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Rock n Roll Trivia Challenge 2012

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:What group has won a record 22 Grammy awards?

A) the Beatles
B) U2
C) the Beach Boys
I'm pretty sure I read once that the Beatles won next to no Grammys and this is a horrible universe we live in, so I'll pick U2.
The only Beach Boy to win a Grammy was Brian Wilson's touring replacement, Bruce Johnston. It was for writing "I Write the Songs" for Barry Manilow. This universe blows.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:What group has won a record 22 Grammy awards?

A) the Beatles
B) U2
C) the Beach Boys
I'm pretty sure I read once that the Beatles won next to no Grammys and this is a horrible universe we live in, so I'll pick U2.
The only Beach Boy to win a Grammy was Brian Wilson's touring replacement, Bruce Johnston. It was for writing "I Write the Songs" for Barry Manilow. This universe blows.
The only Grammy the Clash ever won was for Westway.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

drugstabbingmime
Corner Soul

Post by drugstabbingmime »

the universe does blow. sometimes at the grammys its just a bad idea to not be a certain person. Take for instance the year Ray Charles won fucking everything. That was the year Joe and Johnny Cash's version of redemption song was up for best male duet or whatever the name was. Both were already dead at the time, would have been nice for them to get the nod... :rolleyes:

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

drugstabbingmime wrote:the universe does blow. sometimes at the grammys its just a bad idea to not be a certain person. Take for instance the year Ray Charles won fucking everything. That was the year Joe and Johnny Cash's version of redemption song was up for best male duet or whatever the name was. Both were already dead at the time, would have been nice for them to get the nod... :rolleyes:
In fairness, out of all the egregious shit the Grammys has done, giving Ray Charles some awards (a lot, even) isn't really one of them.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
drugstabbingmime wrote:the universe does blow. sometimes at the grammys its just a bad idea to not be a certain person. Take for instance the year Ray Charles won fucking everything. That was the year Joe and Johnny Cash's version of redemption song was up for best male duet or whatever the name was. Both were already dead at the time, would have been nice for them to get the nod... :rolleyes:
In fairness, out of all the egregious shit the Grammys has done, giving Ray Charles some awards (a lot, even) isn't really one of them.
Even a drunk Elvis Costello would probably agree with that...
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
Plus that Redemption Song duet wasn't very good.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Couldn't agree more. 2 great singers + 1 great song = disappointing result.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

dave202 wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
What's so bad about it? I think they did a pretty good job with it. Might be a little bit too plain sounding, but it's Johnny Cash ferchrissakes. Anyway, the Streetcore version is 10 times better.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
dave202 wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
What's so bad about it? I think they did a pretty good job with it. Might be a little bit too plain sounding, but it's Johnny Cash ferchrissakes. Anyway, the Streetcore version is 10 times better.
I like it well enough.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I like it all right. But it sounds less like a duet, and more like two singers singing the song being mixed together.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Wolter wrote:I like it all right. But it sounds less like a duet, and more like two singers singing the song being mixed together.
Yeah. I don't know if Cash ever did a great duet. Maybe had a good song where there was another artist singing somewhere, but who the hell noticed them?

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Wolter wrote:I like it all right. But it sounds less like a duet, and more like two singers singing the song being mixed together.
Yeah. I don't know if Cash ever did a great duet. Maybe had a good song where there was another artist singing somewhere, but who the hell noticed them?
His cover of "Louie Louie" with Morrissey altered the moon's orbit.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:Yeah. I don't know if Cash ever did a great duet. Maybe had a good song where there was another artist singing somewhere, but who the hell noticed them?
Ummm... what about his duets with June?

(I picked up that Legend box set when it came out some years back. One of the discs was all duets. I remember a few pretty good ones on it. I'll have to check the track listing and pick out the ones I liked.)

I do agree with the thrust of your point, which is that there aren't exactly a wealth of great duets featuring Johnny Cash.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
His cover of "Louie Louie" with Morrissey altered the moon's orbit.
Morrissey's adlibs about how vile reggae is and the subhuman Chinese befuddled the aging Cash, but Johnny's little publicised adoration of the Smiths made him trust the English singer's lyrical instincts.
Ummm... what about his duets with June?
A lot of those songs are neat, and benefited by Cash's obvious respect for June as an artist but I don't especially rate June's voice. Very endearing how much he loved her, though, and that shines through in all of the work he did with his wife.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:A lot of those songs are neat, and benefited by Cash's obvious respect for June as an artist but I don't especially rate June's voice. Very endearing how much he loved her, though, and that shines through in all of the work he did with his wife.
I think her voice works well with Johnny's, and as you say the way they felt about each other shines through the work they did together. I'd rate Jackson, If I Were a Carpenter, It Ain't Me Babe, and Darling Companion among the highlights of the Johnny Cash catalog (and plenty of other songs they did together were at least, as you say, neat).

I didn't used to rate June's music chops that highly but picked up a couple solo comps from her over the years and my opinion of her greatly improved (Keep on the Sunny Side and Church in the Wildwood, for those interested).

Pex Lives!