Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Heston's Friday Top 5

Post by Heston »

Chuck Mangione wrote:How in the world can you guys name five songs of theirs and not five songs of Dinosaur Jr's?
Because the Housemartins and the Beautiful South have memorable and catchy tunes.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:How in the world can you guys name five songs of theirs and not five songs of Dinosaur Jr's?
Because the Housemartins and the Beautiful South have memorable qnd catchy tunes.
Must be a Limey thing.

Dino Jr. have very catchy tunes. J Mascis is just as good a songwriter as he is a guitar player.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
Heston wrote:
Because the Housemartins and the Beautiful South have memorable qnd catchy tunes.
Must be a Limey thing.

Dino Jr. have very catchy tunes. J Mascis is just as good a songwriter as he is a guitar player.
Aww come on Chuck that's total bullshit I bet I own more Dinosaur Jr. records than you do. And if you check back to the Dinosaur Jr. top 5 you posted, I think more Limey's posted a top 5 than you yanks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Marky Dread wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
Heston wrote:
Must be a Limey thing.

Aww come on Chuck that's total bullshit I bet I own more Dinosaur Jr. records than you do. And if you check back to the Dinosaur Jr. top 5 you posted, I think more Limey's posted a top 5 than you yanks.
To be fair, the DJ vs. Sebadoh schism nearly tore The Republic asunder.
Wolter wrote:Low-fi Lou shall rise again!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
Heston wrote:
Must be a Limey thing.

I blame The Fall.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Marky Dread wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
Heston wrote:
Must be a Limey thing.

This is true. P.S. keep the yank/Limey conversation going. That's the some of the best stuff on here.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
Heston wrote:
Must be a Limey thing.

WORD.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Have we done Budford Holland and his Chirping Insects?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

1 Five Get Over Excited
2 Me and the Farmer
3 There Is Always Something There To Remind Me
4 Happy Hour
5 Sheep
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Not sure how many have heard Paul Heaton's first solo album, Fat Chance, under the name Biscuit Boy (from 2001). Anyways, its really good and well worth a listen. Also, virtually all instruments are played by Martin & Scott from the Mescaleros. They also produce the album and co-write about 1/2 the songs. I've always loved the credits, where Heaton thanks "Joe at the Joe Strummer Matchmaking Agency".

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

drowninghere wrote:Not sure how many have heard Paul Heaton's first solo album, Fat Chance, under the name Biscuit Boy (from 2001). Anyways, its really good and well worth a listen. Also, virtually all instruments are played by Martin & Scott from the Mescaleros. They also produce the album and co-write about 1/2 the songs. I've always loved the credits, where Heaton thanks "Joe at the Joe Strummer Matchmaking Agency".
Huh. I've listened to it once, but remember notjing about it. I recently listened to the new one he did with Jacqi Abbott, but was bored by it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
drowninghere wrote:Not sure how many have heard Paul Heaton's first solo album, Fat Chance, under the name Biscuit Boy (from 2001). Anyways, its really good and well worth a listen. Also, virtually all instruments are played by Martin & Scott from the Mescaleros. They also produce the album and co-write about 1/2 the songs. I've always loved the credits, where Heaton thanks "Joe at the Joe Strummer Matchmaking Agency".
Huh. I've listened to it once, but remember notjing about it. I recently listened to the new one he did with Jacqi Abbott, but was bored by it.
10 Lessons in Love, The Perfect Couple, If & Man, Girl, Boy, Woman are the four I'd recommend to see if you thought it was worth giving a second chance.

Did you like the "Phil Collins Must Die" one off the new album? I figured that one must have been test marketed for IMCT.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

drowninghere wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Lessons in Love, The Perfect Couple, If & Man, Girl, Boy, Woman are the four I'd recommend to see if you thought it was worth giving a second chance.
I'll be giving it another shot tonight or tomorrow.
Did you like the "Phil Collins Must Die" one off the new album? I figured that one must have been test marketed for IMCT.
That one stood out for me, at least for the title. :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:Have we done Budford Holland and his Chirping Insects?
I'm sure we did Buddy but not in this thread so he needs to get a top 5 here. I remember a discussion with Wolt about how great "Rave On" is, which is and always will be my number one.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

I have it somewhere. I'll give it another go.
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum