Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Heston's Friday Top 5

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:Pretty much the entirety of Dictator's lyrics are clumsy and hamfisted.
The first verse is OK but the 2nd and 3rd verses are plain awful.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
matedog wrote:Pretty much the entirety of Dictator's lyrics are clumsy and hamfisted.
You have to keep wondering about the placement of Dictator on CtC. Awful lyrics, a barely passable tune and rotten production does not a good opener make. Then they added some discordant radio babble over the top!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
You have to keep wondering about the placement of Dictator on CtC. Awful lyrics, a barely passable tune and rotten production does not a good opener make. Then they added some discordant radio babble over the top!
I'm convinced that was Bernie stamping down his authority from the off. Dictator is very apt really.

With all the songs the band had at the time that could've been a very tasty album if they dropped a few that made the final cut and replaced them with some of the better outtakes like Pouring Rain & Ammunition.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I'm convinced that was Bernie stamping down his authority from the off. Dictator is very apt really.

With all the songs the band had at the time that could've been a very tasty album if they dropped a few that made the final cut and replaced them with some of the better outtakes like Pouring Rain & Ammunition.
I'm still convinced there's a good album in there somewhere. I would give my back teeth for the multitracks.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm still convinced there's a good album in there somewhere. I would give my back teeth for the multitracks.
I'm not sure anymore if the multitracks would really reveal the band that were The Clash we heard live at Brixton/Paris/Stockholm/Seattle etc. No Pete Howard is a massive fuck up by Bernie maybe if the multitracks could be enhanced by the band then who knows.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:I would give my back teeth for the multitracks.
I'm not sure anymore if the multitracks would really reveal the band that were The Clash we heard live at Brixton/Paris/Stockholm/Seattle etc.
I'm not sure Heston's back teeth would be worth eet. :shifty:
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

biopunk wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:I would give my back teeth for the multitracks.
I'm not sure anymore if the multitracks would really reveal the band that were The Clash we heard live at Brixton/Paris/Stockholm/Seattle etc.
I'm not sure Heston's back teeth would be worth eet. :shifty:
Something something Big Book of British Smiles.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

A couple of people have requested the favourite Bowie album/album track format, let's do it...

I'll just post my favourite album tracks because I'm not very well versed with his albums outside of the classic early-70s period.

Moonage Daydream
Lady Stardust
Queen Bitch
Up the Hill Backwards
Kooks

Joe Moses
Corner Soul

Post by Joe Moses »

Albums - the 5 that I probably listen to the most
Low
Scary Monsters
Ziggy Stardust
Hunky Dory
Station to Station

Album tracks
hmm only 5 - I'll sleep on this one and get back to you

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: The first verse is OK but the 2nd and 3rd verses are plain awful.

I'm not sure anymore if the multitracks would really reveal the band that were The Clash we heard live at Brixton/Paris/Stockholm/Seattle etc. No Pete Howard is a massive fuck up by Bernie maybe if the multitracks could be enhanced by the band then who knows.

I think you'd have to try and take the vocals and re-record all the rest from scratch.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote: You have to keep wondering about the placement of Dictator on CtC. Awful lyrics, a barely passable tune and rotten production does not a good opener make. Then they added some discordant radio babble over the top!

I think you'd have to try and take the vocals and re-record all the rest from scratch.
There are some guitars that are worth keeping. The synths and sound effects all have to go and the biggest crime is the lack of real drums especially when the drummer was so good.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: I'm convinced that was Bernie stamping down his authority from the off. Dictator is very apt really.

There are some guitars that are worth keeping. The synths and sound effects all have to go and the biggest crime is the lack of real drums especially when the drummer was so good.
I am all for redressing the Great 80's Drum Crimes.

I want the Jesus & Mary Chain's 'April Skies' fixed before 'Cut the Crap' tho...
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

1. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
2. Hunky Dory
3. Aladdin Sane
4. Diamond Dogs
5. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)

1. Star
2. Moonage Daydream
3. Queen Bitch
4. Oh! You Pretty Things
5. Hang On to Yourself (Album version)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

biopunk wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote: I'm still convinced there's a good album in there somewhere. I would give my back teeth for the multitracks.

I am all for redressing the Great 80's Drum Crimes.

I want the Jesus & Mary Chain's 'April Skies' fixed before 'Cut the Crap' tho...
The thing about the JAMC was that it fitted their music better with their simple drum patterns. Of course it's better with real drums but on the whole much more suited and preferable than all of CtC.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »