Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Heston's Friday Top 5

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:People aren't congratulating me enough for picking Kraftwerk.
That's because they've only got two good songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:That's because they've only got two good songs.
You should make more posts about showdiddlydoogly or whatever they are. :twitch:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
Heston wrote:That's because they've only got two good songs.
You should make more posts about showdiddlydoogly or whatever they are. :twitch:
Sorry, I said songs, I meant settings.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston: Wrong about music for the 157,000th time today.

Flex, I would have put Kraftwerk in, but I forgot.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Heston wrote:Sorry, I said songs, I meant settings.

BOOM!

AH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HA!!! Suck it, Rowbutt! :shifty:
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

I've never listened to a Kraftwerk song in my life. I'm not making a judgment on them just never got around to listening to them. Add that to a long list that includes Shadowdaddy and so many others.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:I've never listened to a Kraftwerk song in my life. I'm not making a judgment on them just never got around to listening to them. Add that to a long list that includes Shadowdaddy and so many others.
Unless you like long, meandering Krautrock, skip ahead to their output from about 1975-1980. They get really cool and Motorik around Autobahn, and move into very computer-y sounding robot music by Mensch-Machine. After that? Eh.

They also got sampled A TON by early Hip-Hop/Electro artists.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
revbob wrote:I've never listened to a Kraftwerk song in my life. I'm not making a judgment on them just never got around to listening to them. Add that to a long list that includes Shadowdaddy and so many others.
Unless you like long, meandering Krautrock, skip ahead to their output from about 1975-1980. They get really cool and Motorik around Autobahn, and move into very computer-y sounding robot music by Mensch-Machine. After that? Eh.

Hmm sounds potentially interesting. I'll give them a listen. Has there been a top 5 for Kraftwerk yet?

Joe Moses
Corner Soul

Post by Joe Moses »

Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:The original idea was to pick your top 5 70's artists pre punk, so before '76 really who were having hits. I complicated it by picking those artists that I had records by before punk came along. The Who count as they had hits in the 60's and 70's. Some of the great bands like The Stooges had no hits as far as I'm aware. So the Dolls and Big Star wouldn't really count but hey just pick what you like and feel good.
I forgot/didn't realize there was a "hit" requirement, but I'll play smartass and suggest Big Star counts under that requirement since their first two records were critical hits at the time, even though they sold jack shit.
Hey, they had a #1 Record!
They had a first and and a third and apparently they loved their sister.
I really like Big Star - but only discovered them about 15-20 years ago - and so I didn't put them in my 70's list - I put as Marky did bands I was listening to pre- punk really. However as I say I did get into Big Star in a pretty big way - and so when the were added to the bill of a festival I was already attending I was pretty excited - one of the biggest disappointments live I have ever experienced - they seemed to be there jusy going through the motions - no spark no joy - I was really pissed off with them as I had been looking forward to them - in fact I was so pissed off I shuffled off to another stage where I caught Chas and Dave giving it loads - Gertcha !
Alex died a couple of years later - still irks me that I didn't enjoy that gig !

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Joe Moses wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:The original idea was to pick your top 5 70's artists pre punk, so before '76 really who were having hits. I complicated it by picking those artists that I had records by before punk came along. The Who count as they had hits in the 60's and 70's. Some of the great bands like The Stooges had no hits as far as I'm aware. So the Dolls and Big Star wouldn't really count but hey just pick what you like and feel good.
I forgot/didn't realize there was a "hit" requirement, but I'll play smartass and suggest Big Star counts under that requirement since their first two records were critical hits at the time, even though they sold jack shit.
Hey, they had a #1 Record!
They had a first and and a third and apparently they loved their sister.
I really like Big Star - but only discovered them about 15-20 years ago - and so I didn't put them in my 70's list - I put as Marky did bands I was listening to pre- punk really. However as I say I did get into Big Star in a pretty big way - and so when the were added to the bill of a festival I was already attending I was pretty excited - one of the biggest disappointments live I have ever experienced - they seemed to be there jusy going through the motions - no spark no joy - I was really pissed off with them as I had been looking forward to them - in fact I was so pissed off I shuffled off to another stage where I caught Chas and Dave giving it loads - Gertcha !
Alex died a couple of years later - still irks me that I didn't enjoy that gig !
There's always The Box Tops!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:Unless you like long, meandering Krautrock, skip ahead to their output from about 1975-1980. They get really cool and Motorik around Autobahn, and move into very computer-y sounding robot music by Mensch-Machine. After that? Eh.

Yeah, they were actually a bit of a stretch for this Top 5 in that their vital period overlaps into punk, but Autobahn is their biggest deal, a huge hit, and definitely proto-.

I think I like all their albums to varying degrees. 81-83 is weakest, but Tour de France Soundtracks is quite good, imho.

We have not done a Kraftwerk Top 5 yet.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Hmm sounds potentially interesting. I'll give them a listen. Has there been a top 5 for Kraftwerk yet?
Kraftwerk are simply awesome.

This is my fave Kraftwerk album and the lead-off track is a manifesto for Flex of sorts.
[youtube][/youtube]

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex

Post by Flex »

Marky knows what's up. :cool:

Pex Lives!

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Flex wrote:Marky knows what's up. :cool:
Misquoting Marky and mocking Flex's love for bleep-bloop-blops. :approve:
Marky Dread wrote:Fuck give me Showaddywaddy over Kraftwerk any day.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

biopunk wrote:
Flex wrote:Marky knows what's up. :cool:
Misquoting Marky and mocking Flex's love for bleep-bloop-blops. :approve:
Marky Dread wrote:Fuck give me Showaddywaddy over Kraftwerk any day.
No chance if that's the competition then I'm electronic all the way.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia