Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 3:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 8:24am
Top 5 tracks from Devo, "Q. Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!"- Devo. Pick your 5 from any version of the album.

1. Jocko Homo
2. Uncontrollable Urge
3. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
4. Mongoloid
5. Space Junk
Hello Marky,

It would be interesting to see people's top 5 DEVO songs - how much of the later, more synth-poppy stuff would be selected?
viewtopic.php?p=360199#p360199
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Top 5 tracks from Devo, "Q. Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!"- Devo. Pick your 5 from any version of the album.

1. Jocko Homo
2. Uncontrollable Urge
4. Mongoloid
5. Space Junk
Hello Marky,

It would be interesting to see people's top 5 DEVO songs - how much of the later, more synth-poppy stuff would be selected?
Yes would make for interesting reading. If redone as doc posted above we did a Devo top 5. Be interesting to see if anything has changed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 3:29pm
gkbill wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

1. Jocko Homo
2. Uncontrollable Urge
4. Mongoloid
5. Space Junk
Hello Marky,

Yes would make for interesting reading. If redone as doc posted above we did a Devo top 5. Be interesting to see if anything has changed.
I'd be more inclined to skew to the earlier stuff nowadays.

Also, this is still totally mesmerizing from start to finish:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Uncontrolable Urge
Mongoloid (I just love the absurdity of it)
Jocko Homo
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Space Junk
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 3:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 3:29pm
gkbill wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

1. Jocko Homo
2. Uncontrollable Urge
4. Mongoloid
5. Space Junk
Hello Marky,

I'd be more inclined to skew to the earlier stuff nowadays.

Also, this is still totally mesmerizing from start to finish:
Fantastic stuff.

Regards what Devo are or are not musically in a categorization I think it's summed up by the title of the album.

They like a fair few others are maverick in just doing their thing. I think The Tubes are a similar band in just getting on with what they enjoy. Devo are ground breaking because they crossed over really well into the mainstream. And yet the same ground breaking thing can also be applied to The Residents who have had no real commercial success.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 3:41pm
They like a fair few others are maverick in just doing their thing. I think The Tubes are a similar band in just getting on with what they enjoy. Devo are ground breaking because they crossed over really well into the mainstream. And yet the same ground breaking thing can also be applied to The Residents who have had no real commercial success.
McLaren was just making up the Pistols grand narrative as it was happening, but Devo figured out their initial incarnation for years beforehand. They were truly a performance art project and social commentary. That kind of preparation is unusual as hell, and it's apparent how much trouble they had keeping it up, changing things from album to album. But those initial ideas are just crazy intense and provocative, plus, as you say, they somehow also achieved mainstream success.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 3:23pm
gkbill wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

1. Jocko Homo
2. Uncontrollable Urge
4. Mongoloid
5. Space Junk
Hello Marky,

viewtopic.php?p=360199#p360199
Hello,

Oops!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 4:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
McLaren was just making up the Pistols grand narrative as it was happening, but Devo figured out their initial incarnation for years beforehand. They were truly a performance art project and social commentary. That kind of preparation is unusual as hell, and it's apparent how much trouble they had keeping it up, changing things from album to album. But those initial ideas are just crazy intense and provocative, plus, as you say, they somehow also achieved mainstream success.
Yeah all true. The Pistols though were just a conventional rock n roll band with a different sounding singer to the accepted norm. They were not contrived as McLaren would let you believe. There is nothing ground breaking about the Pistols apart from attitude. They didn't play the game whilst still using all the conventional industry trappings. It's important to note because if they had gone independent then they would've left themselves much less to rebel against and McLaren cleverly used this to maximum effect.

Devo were a genius idea which had to succeed and their crossover into the mainstream was inevitable with interest from the likes of Bowie. They were a similar type of novelty like The Flying Lizards with their quirky cover.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 4:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah all true. The Pistols though were just a conventional rock n roll band with a different sounding singer to the accepted norm. They were not contrived as McLaren would let you believe. There is nothing ground breaking about the Pistols apart from attitude. They didn't play the game whilst still using all the conventional industry trappings. It's important to note because if they had gone independent then they would've left themselves much less to rebel against and McLaren cleverly used this to maximum effect.

Devo were a genius idea which had to succeed and their crossover into the mainstream was inevitable with interest from the likes of Bowie. They were a similar type of novelty like The Flying Lizards with their quirky cover.
Hello,

I still think DEVO were really brave. I recall reading about them playing in some Ohio bar and a biker-kind of guy coming up and demanding they play some Aerosmith covers

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 4:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hello,

I still think DEVO were really brave. I recall reading about them playing in some Ohio bar and a biker-kind of guy coming up and demanding they play some Aerosmith covers
Yeah that same attitude that Iggy had taking on a whole biker gang to do their worst. Metallic K.O. is testament to sheer bloody attitude above all else. That's what made punk great and won people over. Fearless fuck You!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
They were a similar type of novelty like The Flying Lizards with their quirky cover.
That's an apt comparison, given both groups' knowing deconstruction of rock music. FL didn't have a larger intellectual framework to go along with it—not that I know of, anyway—but both ended up with that ironic pose and gutting of emotion from the music.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

gkbill wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 4:38pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hello,

There’s a Devo live album of a very early show where they do an 8-minute Jocko Homo to a small and VERY hostile audience.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 5:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
They were a similar type of novelty like The Flying Lizards with their quirky cover.
That's an apt comparison, given both groups' knowing deconstruction of rock music. FL didn't have a larger intellectual framework to go along with it—not that I know of, anyway—but both ended up with that ironic pose and gutting of emotion from the music.
What I personally loved about FL is the idea that if an object can make a sound then it's an instrument.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

This album is great because it's right on the seams of punk, post-punk and new wave. It's punk by the maximalist definition - and the cultural scene they were in at the time - but obviously you listen to it now and musically you'd file it away closer to post-punk acts than, say, The Exploited. And THEN when you compare this release to their earlier Hardcore/Stiff stuff (which is solidly Punk imho), you realize this is a sound that's started to be smoothed away just enough to become radio hits and accessible to normies (not a negative comment here, I fucking love this album). It's a real Rosetta's Stone for three directions of where punk rock was going. Real genius stuff.

1. Mongoloid
2. Uncontrollable Urge
3. Jocko Homo
4. Gut Feeling / Slap Your Mammy
5. Praying Hands

Used to rate Satisfaction as a Top Fiver easily, but over the years I've really come to love the songwriting of Mothersbaugh/Casale and this album just has too many good deep cuts from those two.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
12 Nov 2020, 5:40pm
This album is great because it's right on the seams of punk, post-punk and new wave. It's punk by the maximalist definition - and the cultural scene they were in at the time - but obviously you listen to it now and musically you'd file it away closer to post-punk acts than, say, The Exploited. And THEN when you compare this release to their earlier Hardcore/Stiff stuff (which is solidly Punk imho), you realize this is a sound that's started to be smoothed away just enough to become radio hits and accessible to normies (not a negative comment here, I fucking love this album). It's a real Rosetta's Stone for three directions of where punk rock was going. Real genius stuff.

1. Mongoloid
2. Uncontrollable Urge
3. Jocko Homo
4. Gut Feeling / Slap Your Mammy
5. Praying Hands

Used to rate Satisfaction as a Top Fiver easily, but over the years I've really come to love the songwriting of Mothersbaugh/Casale and this album just has too many good deep cuts from those two.
No bad choices anywhere on this album.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia