Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 11:54am
It's hard to convey how fucking popular Fight was at the time, but mainly with the kids that the song was satirizing. I don't know whether that makes the song a success or a failure. It's a prank the size that someone like Biafra never could have dreamed of pulling off.
I think the Beasties have been interviewed a bunch of times about how they ended up becoming the characters they originally set out to parody, sort of a life imitating art thing. That's a kind of success, I suppose.
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 12:25pm
Hey Flex if you are gonna put those brackets on the end then you better have them at the start. ;)
Punk rockers do what they want maaaaan :shifty:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 5:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
It's hard to convey how fucking popular Fight was at the time, but mainly with the kids that the song was satirizing. I don't know whether that makes the song a success or a failure. It's a prank the size that someone like Biafra never could have dreamed of pulling off.
I think the Beasties have been interviewed a bunch of times about how they ended up becoming the characters they originally set out to parody, sort of a life imitating art thing. That's a kind of success, I suppose.
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 12:25pm
Hey Flex if you are gonna put those brackets on the end then you better have them at the start. ;)
Punk rockers do what they want maaaaan :shifty:
Stupid little punk rockers. I hate them. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
1. FFYR
2. Brooklyn
3. Crafty
4. Revere
5. Monkey

As much as I love them, I'm still not convinced it was satire. I think they *think* it was as they looked back on it years later, but I feel like they were 100% serious back then.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 9:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
1. FFYR
2. Brooklyn
3. Crafty
4. Revere
5. Monkey

As much as I love them, I'm still not convinced it was satire. I think they *think* it was as they looked back on it years later, but I feel like they were 100% serious back then.
Given that they started out as a snotty punk band, I can't believe that they went 180º and identified with the jocks and in-crowd. It may not have been hard-hitting Swiftian satire, but they were mocking the mentality of the meatheads in school.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:06am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
1. FFYR
2. Brooklyn
3. Crafty
4. Revere
5. Monkey

Given that they started out as a snotty punk band, I can't believe that they went 180º and identified with the jocks and in-crowd. It may not have been hard-hitting Swiftian satire, but they were mocking the mentality of the meatheads in school.
Yeah, I should have read the thread first. It's actually more like what the robot said above. They became those they were satirizing.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:06am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
1. FFYR
2. Brooklyn
3. Crafty
4. Revere
5. Monkey

Yeah, I should have read the thread first. It's actually more like what the robot said above. They became those they were satirizing.
With a few notable exceptions (MacKaye, Biafra come to mind), success ruined so many punks. It's a paradox that for punk to succeed, it has to fail (conventionally, that is).
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I bought this album from my milkman for a pound in late 1986. I would have seen them supporting BAD that year if it wasn't for Chernobyl (or was it the Libyan crisis, I don't recall), but anyway they bailed out. Nice to revisit the album after a good few years, a surprisingly excellent listen.

Party
Brass Monkey
Brooklyn
She's Crafty
Time To Get Ill
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 7:17pm
I bought this album from my milkman for a pound in late 1986. I would have seen them supporting BAD that year if it wasn't for Chernobyl (or was it the Libyan crisis, I don't recall), but anyway they bailed out. Nice to revisit the album after a good few years, a surprisingly excellent listen.

Party
Brass Monkey
Brooklyn
She's Crafty
Time To Get Ill
The milkman of human kindness. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 7:26pm
Heston wrote:

Party
Brass Monkey
Brooklyn
She's Crafty
Time To Get Ill
How many times does the milkman ring?

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 7:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 7:26pm
Heston wrote:

Party
Brass Monkey
Brooklyn
She's Crafty
Time To Get Ill
How many times does the milkman ring?
I lactose kind of answers in my life.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 7:36pm
We gotta move pasteur milk puns, man
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 7:40pm
Heston wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 7:36pm
We gotta move pasteur milk puns, man
Yes, and keep a breast of the times.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

That was Marky bait damnit.

Heston

Post by Heston »

revbob wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 7:49pm
I know Marky that well I can out-Marky him.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 8:08pm
revbob wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 7:49pm
I know Marky that well I can out-Marky him.
You're non-dairy creamer compared to Marky. :shifty: