Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 11:07am
Wire - Reuters
Bloc Party - Hunting For Witches
Sex Pistols - I Wanna Be Me
Gil Scott-Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised 
Stereophonics - Mr. Writer
This is an excellent list.
The last one is the filler for me. Stereophonics aren't a band I ever liked except for one song that, tellingly, eludes me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 12:56pm
Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 12:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wire - Reuters
The last one is the filler for me. Stereophonics aren't a band I ever liked except for one song that, tellingly, eludes me.
Same here. I've tried to get into them multiple times, mostly because people I know are baffled that I'm not already into them.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wire - Reuters
Same here. I've tried to get into them multiple times, mostly because people I know are baffled that I'm not already into them.
Just remembered the song I liked. Tho watching the video again, maybe liked is too strong a word.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:05pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wire - Reuters
Just remembered the song I liked. Tho watching the video again, maybe liked is too strong a word.
People are always telling me I should like them because I like Can and stuff. I don't get it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

People are always telling me I should like them because I like Can and stuff. I don't get it.
Nothing remotely like Can. Odd.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Can? Jesus, I never heard Can in them. They sounded to me like a quality basic bar band but with enough Britpop sense to chart.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:13pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Nothing remotely like Can. Odd.
I'll tell you one thing—since I've joined this band, I've really discovered how bad other people's ears are in terms of being able to identify what bands actually sound like. We had a huge argument the other month because the guitarist had written a song that sounded exactly as if it was a new Cure song, and the singer kept harping on and on about how much it sounded like The Smiths. I couldn't believe it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:16pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Can? Jesus, I never heard Can in them. They sounded to me like a quality basic bar band but with enough Britpop sense to chart.
Oh shit. I'm thinking of Stereolab, sorry.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:17pm
I'll tell you one thing—since I've joined this band, I've really discovered how bad other people's ears are in terms of being able to identify what bands actually sound like. We had a huge argument the other month because the guitarist had written a song that sounded exactly as if it was a new Cure song, and the singer kept harping on and on about how much it sounded like The Smiths. I couldn't believe it.
[insert joke about Hoy, REM, the Cure]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
Oh shit. I'm thinking of Stereolab, sorry.
Oh, okay. Yeah, there I can hear Can. Stereolab are okay, but most songs sound the same to me. I can listen to 'em but rarely feel an interest to do so.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:19pm
Kory wrote:
Either way, I was trying to argue "why are we ok with sounding like either of these bands?" This band is stressful.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Either way, I was trying to argue "why are we ok with sounding like either of these bands?" This band is stressful.
I assume your argument is to not sound like anyone else? It's a great ideal, but the vast degree of sub-genres makes it pretty much impossible now.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:40pm
Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 1:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I assume your argument is to not sound like anyone else? It's a great ideal, but the vast degree of sub-genres makes it pretty much impossible now.
No, I'm not that idealistic, but I think when somebody comes in with a new song where we all say very confidently "that sounds very much like [band x]" we should work a little harder to cover our theft. I get enormous amounts of pushback on this small preference.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
21 Mar 2019, 2:04pm
No, I'm not that idealistic, but I think when somebody comes in with a new song where we all say very confidently "that sounds very much like [band x]" we should work a little harder to cover our theft. I get enormous amounts of pushback on this small preference.
only one band you need to be trying to sound like, imho:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!