Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 2:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 8:31pm

I recently did a lecture on bootlegs and the question of commodification of music, author rights, and what fans are consuming.

So, my first real favourite band was the Cars, and I found the above bootleg in Saskatoon's biggest used record store. It cost a ridiculous amount of money. I'm gonna say $50 in the early 80s. But I had to have it. So I sold shit off, saved my paper route money, and hoped like hell it wouldn't be sold. And I eventually bought it. And learned … the Cars weren't that good live. Just zero spark. I was gutted. I held onto that boot for years but eventually traded it in when I got into punk and needed credit for who knows what album. Maybe a decade ago, I downloaded a copy off Dime a Dozen just to have a copy. Listened to it and, yup, the Cars were a great studio band, but dull live.
Put that in an indoor setting and it's pretty much right.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 2:41pm
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I recently did a lecture on bootlegs and the question of commodification of music, author rights, and what fans are consuming.

So, my first real favourite band was the Cars, and I found the above bootleg in Saskatoon's biggest used record store. It cost a ridiculous amount of money. I'm gonna say $50 in the early 80s. But I had to have it. So I sold shit off, saved my paper route money, and hoped like hell it wouldn't be sold. And I eventually bought it. And learned … the Cars weren't that good live. Just zero spark. I was gutted. I held onto that boot for years but eventually traded it in when I got into punk and needed credit for who knows what album. Maybe a decade ago, I downloaded a copy off Dime a Dozen just to have a copy. Listened to it and, yup, the Cars were a great studio band, but dull live.
superspreader.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 2:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

superspreader.
I should have said a Zoom setting.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 3:03pm
tepista wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 2:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
tepista wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

superspreader.
Hello,

If it was a Zoom setting, the kids would have been looking at their phones.

I should have said a Zoom setting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 3:46pm
Or had turned off their camera and left entirely. Easily the most disappointing part of teaching via Zoom—the lack of effort on students' part to meet us halfway. The university has done plenty of surveying of students and so many are disappointed in their profs' lack of tech skill (which is probably performing ability), but I'd love for there to be an instructor survey of students' effort. If you aren't making the effort to make the learning experience better, don't carp about our deficiencies.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 4:12pm
gkbill wrote:
Or had turned off their camera and left entirely. Easily the most disappointing part of teaching via Zoom—the lack of effort on students' part to meet us halfway. The university has done plenty of surveying of students and so many are disappointed in their profs' lack of tech skill (which is probably performing ability), but I'd love for there to be an instructor survey of students' effort. If you aren't making the effort to make the learning experience better, don't carp about our deficiencies.
Do you wear a bolo tie Doc? You should.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 4:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Do you wear a bolo tie Doc? You should.
I think I owned a bolo tie when I was around 13, reserved for weddings. Was … was I a nerd?

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Apologies to all for a temporary hijacking of the thread.

Faculty need to take attendance and have sufficient penalties for students who do not attend a Zoom class. For my classes, you have 2 unexcused absences. After that, you lose 10% of your final grade for each absence. If a student has some sort of extenuating circumstances, I'll work with them. I take attendance at the beginning of class (see all the thumbnails) and check in throughout the class (Okay, give me a thumbs up if you get that?). If someone disappears, that's an absence. I feel like it's a bit grade-school-ish, but as we learn to learn with this new platform, I feel it's necessary.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 4:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Apologies to all for a temporary hijacking of the thread.

Faculty need to take attendance and have sufficient penalties for students who do not attend a Zoom class. For my classes, you have 2 unexcused absences. After that, you lose 10% of your final grade for each absence. If a student has some sort of extenuating circumstances, I'll work with them. I take attendance at the beginning of class (see all the thumbnails) and check in throughout the class (Okay, give me a thumbs up if you get that?). If someone disappears, that's an absence. I feel like it's a bit grade-school-ish, but as we learn to learn with this new platform, I feel it's necessary.
I introduced an attendance policy for the first time this year, tho far less rigid. I gave them five misses, with a 5% final grade reduction. After a request from admin for everyone to make additional concessions because everyone was so "stressed," I raised that to eight absences. If not, around half the class would have lost marks. I also used simple quizzes for attention. At three points in the lecture, I'd ask a simple question about something I said. Pass 75% of those quizzes and you get 5 points. For attendance, I initially had people say hi in the chat, but so many people would forget to do that, I found out you can download participation reports from Zoom, so I just used that. Part of the problem, I think, was that recording and uploading lectures made it easier for people to not show up.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Top 5 tracks from "English Settlement" - XTC

1. Senses Working Overtime
2. Ball and Chain
3. No Thugs in Our House
4. Melt the Guns
5. English Roundabout

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Nobody plays at Christmas. :disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 12:25pm
XTC should make a covid PSA song called "No Hugs in our House"
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

tepista wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 12:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 12:25pm
XTC should make a covid PSA song called "No Hugs in our House"
Nurses Working Overtime.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 9:53am
Top 5 tracks from "English Settlement" - XTC

1. Senses Working Overtime
2. Ball and Chain
3. No Thugs in Our House
4. Melt the Guns
5. English Roundabout
1. Senses
2. Thugs
3. Ball
4. Snowman
5. Jason and the Argonauts

I was about to put Rocket From a Bottle at 4 until I realized that’s Black Sea.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I saw this then got sidetracked.

Senses
Runaways
Snowman
Ball and Chain
Jason and the Argonauts
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board