Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

General music discussion.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Low Down Low »

Said this before but that album is weird, got some of REM's very best for me and also some of their worst. SHP and LMR are both equally bad, can't make my mind up which is the more horrible.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 May 2023, 2:34pm
Said this before but that album is weird, got some of REM's very best for me and also some of their worst. SHP and LMR are both equally bad, can't make my mind up which is the more horrible.
After Green, and with the exception of Automatic For the People, their records became one or two good songs and sterile sludge that, if they'd been a boy band, we'd know as filler. It's telling, perhaps, that I don't know anyone hankering for a reunion concert or tour or whatever.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2023, 2:45pm
Low Down Low wrote:
After Green, and with the exception of Automatic For the People, their records became one or two good songs and sterile sludge that, if they'd been a boy band, we'd know as filler. It's telling, perhaps, that I don't know anyone hankering for a reunion concert or tour or whatever.
Given that my two favourite REM songs don't even feature Michael Stipe on lead vocals, I'm definitely not the archetypal fan or anywhere close. I actually still rate Out of Time overall but i can see why fans of the earlier work would find fault with it. Never fully engaged with much of the later work for whatever reason.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 May 2023, 2:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Given that my two favourite REM songs don't even feature Michael Stipe on lead vocals, I'm definitely not the archetypal fan or anywhere close. I actually still rate Out of Time overall but i can see why fans of the earlier work would find fault with it. Never fully engaged with much of the later work for whatever reason.
I remember my roommate back then bought Out of Time and I was struck by the clean, rather corporate-generic cover, but, more so, on the booklet was a rougher version of the cover that seemed more in line with the IRS sleeves. It seemed like a signal that, nope, we ain't that college rock band anymore; we're a stadium band now. And, yup, they accomplished it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Shiny Happy People is just so inane. R.E.M. made some seriously fine music on those early albums. But like doc says when they go corporate and commercialized boy what a fall.

I also agree on AFtP being a solid rebound but then it all goes pear shaped except for enough material to make a couple of EPs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That's another possible thread (or not!): Bands that signed with a big label and never recovered (well, their bank accounts were fine and all …).

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

It sounds like you all need to give New Adventures in Hi-Fi a listen. It's an absolutely fantastic LP ... one of their best. I won't say top-3, but solidly in the top-5.

This is from the Pitchfork review: "It's good to see that Monster was just a momentary diversion instead of a Zooropa-style permanent devastation. The sound of New Adventures In Hi-Fi is like blending all the different styles R.E.M. ever pursued into one solid state. You've got a bit of the early Murmur and Reckoning sound, a dab of Reconstruction of the Fables and Life's Rich Pageant, a teaspoon of Green and Out of Time, and a pound of Automatic for the People, marinated ever so lightly in a Monster-esque production broth."

Their Warner catalog is uneven. Green still had one foot in their IRS years. Out of Town was uneven, Automatic was brilliant. Monster is probably underappreciated, but also not a favorite. Then comes New Adventures, the last LP with Bill Berry and after that - it's diminishing returns. They release the tepid to downright bad trilogy of Up, Reveal and Around the Sun before calling it a day with a pair of albums that while respectable, leave you remembering how good they used to be.

That said, I seriously recommend giving New Adventures a spin.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 May 2023, 4:03pm
It sounds like you all need to give New Adventures in Hi-Fi a listen. It's an absolutely fantastic LP ... one of their best. I won't say top-3, but solidly in the top-5.

This is from the Pitchfork review: "It's good to see that Monster was just a momentary diversion instead of a Zooropa-style permanent devastation. The sound of New Adventures In Hi-Fi is like blending all the different styles R.E.M. ever pursued into one solid state. You've got a bit of the early Murmur and Reckoning sound, a dab of Reconstruction of the Fables and Life's Rich Pageant, a teaspoon of Green and Out of Time, and a pound of Automatic for the People, marinated ever so lightly in a Monster-esque production broth."

Their Warner catalog is uneven. Green still had one foot in their IRS years. Out of Town was uneven, Automatic was brilliant. Monster is probably underappreciated, but also not a favorite. Then comes New Adventures, the last LP with Bill Berry and after that - it's diminishing returns. They release the tepid to downright bad trilogy of Up, Reveal and Around the Sun before calling it a day with a pair of albums that while respectable, leave you remembering how good they used to be.

Tried it a few times because of one friend in particular who swore by it. Nope. While I appreciated the step back from being a Big Band™, the results still made me bored/annoyed.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I will still occasionally listen to the first 3 songs from Accelerate and a few tracks from Monster but post-mid-80's don carry much for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2023, 4:14pm
WestwayKid wrote:

Tried it a few times because of one friend in particular who swore by it. Nope. While I appreciated the step back from being a Big Band™, the results still made me bored/annoyed.
I got excited after a similar recommendation from a friend. But no not for me either and Michael Stipe never called again. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2023, 4:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 May 2023, 4:14pm
WestwayKid wrote:

I got excited after a similar recommendation from a friend. But no not for me either and Michael Stipe never called again. :mrgreen:
Fucking guy never responded to my letters either. Mind you, my letters all said, "You should quit. Really."

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 May 2023, 1:56pm
Shiny Happy People is just urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Yes, along with Losing... and Everybody...

The whole SRP shift just ugh. Getting older doesn't mean you have to start sucking.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

You guys are no fun… ;)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 May 2023, 6:46pm
You guys are no fun… ;)
Ah The Stooges yes now that's way better.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
New Adventures In Hi-Fi is one of their very best, the last one with Bill Berry. Its magnificent. Accelerate is really fun as well, their "last gasp" of greatness in my opinion.
I also have no issue with Shiny Happy People, its a nice guitar riff and having Kate on it is exactly what that song needed.

Psychefunkapus - Hillbilly Happy Smash (a kickass tune by the way)
Van Halen - Happy Trails
Jam - Happy Together
Dead Milkmen - Happy Is
Inspiral Carpets - Many Happy Returns
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope