Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Flex »

I think Jenny and Doc could lawyer up and argue that the definition of "debut single" should be taken to mean "the first single the band released" not necessarily "their first single, which is also the band's first release"
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 4:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 4:40pm
JennyB wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 1:41pm
1. X-ray Spex - Oh Bondage Up Yours!
2. The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
3. Buzzcocks -Orgasm Addict
4. Sex Pistols - Anarchy
5. The Damned - New Rose
Jenny im sorry to burst your bubble but the Buzzcocks debut was The Spiral Scratch EP not Orgasm Addict.
Didn’t someone else say that one too? I’m too lazy to look.
Yeah that bloody new guy Doctor something or other. I have up with his post being so wrong.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 4:46pm
I think Jenny and Doc could lawyer up and argue that the definition of "debut single" should be taken to mean "the first single the band released" not necessarily "their first single, which is also the band's first release"
...and I suppose I could argue that I stated "debut" not "major label debut".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 4:50pm

Eh? Spiral Scratch is an EP so it's not a debut single.

Spiral Scratch is such a great release.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 4:47pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
4. Sex Pistols - Anarchy
5. The Damned - New Rose
Jenny im sorry to burst your bubble but the Buzzcocks debut was The Spiral Scratch EP not Orgasm Addict.
Yeah that bloody new guy Doctor something or other. I have up with his post being so wrong.
Wikipedia says "Orgasm Addict" was the first single. EP's are not singles.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 4:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:

What I love about it is that both Magazine and the Shelley Buzzcocks sounds like the logical extension of it while being very different bands
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 4:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
4. Sex Pistols - Anarchy
5. The Damned - New Rose
Seriously ''Wikipedia'' that's your defence.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 5:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 4:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Seriously ''Wikipedia'' that's your defence.
For me an EP is a single no difference. But as I love JB and ''Spiral Scratch'' is not on ''Singles Going Steady'' ''Orgasm Addict'' gets a pass.

Damn wish I'd picked that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 5:29pm
For me an EP is a single no difference.
A single (back in the old days of vinyl) was 7" format; an EP was 10" or 12". (The 12" was a different beast altogether. The merchants stocking them couldn't put them with the 7" singles.) A single also has only one song on the A-side; an EP normally has more than one song on the A-side.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 5:45pm
Marky Dread wrote:
A single (back in the old days of vinyl) was 7" format; an EP was 10" or 12". (The 12" was a different beast altogether. The merchants stocking them couldn't put them with the 7" singles.) A single also has only one song on the A-side; an EP normally has more than one song on the A-side.
This distinction is far from true. Spiral Scratch was a 7'' The Cost of Living EP a 7'' Too Much to Young EP a 7'' all those Beatles EPs were 7''. The list is endless.

There are many singles released with more than one track per side the punk/new wave era is littered with these anomalies. The EP was nothing more than a value for money exercise for those that that couldn't stretch their pockets to the cost of an album. EPs have a lead track that get's picked for radio play. Some cases the EP is also released as a two sided version also. EP just means extra play offering the consumer value for money depending on the artist of course. 12'' singles can also be direct copies of the 7'' not all consist of remixed or extended versions etc. All 7'' EPs were put on shelves/racks etc with singles.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Wolter wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 4:56pm
Flex wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 4:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:

What I love about it is that both Magazine and the Shelley Buzzcocks sounds like the logical extension of it while being very different bands
Yeah, I think you and I discussed this on twitter at some point.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 5:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
This distinction is far from true. Spiral Scratch was a 7'' The Cost of Living EP a 7'' Too Much to Young EP a 7'' all those Beatles EPs were 7''. The list is endless.

There are many singles released with more than one track per side the punk/new wave era is littered with these anomalies. The EP was nothing more than a value for money exercise for those that that couldn't stretch their pockets to the cost of an album. EPs have a lead track that get's picked for radio play. Some cases the EP is also released as a two sided version also. EP just means extra play offering the consumer value for money depending on the artist of course. 12'' singles can also be direct copies of the 7'' not all consist of remixed or extended versions etc. All 7'' EPs were put on shelves/racks etc with singles.
But you know you're describing exceptions to the rule. Even the names indicate the distinction. A single has one song per side. An EP has extended play beyond a single. An EP is certainly close to a single than an LP, but everyone involved understand the basic distinctions.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 6:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

But you know you're describing exceptions to the rule. Even the names indicate the distinction. A single has one song per side. An EP has extended play beyond a single. An EP is certainly close to a single than an LP, but everyone involved understand the basic distinctions.
Of course but what I'm getting at here is be it single or EP they are not as you mentioned pressed up as 10'' vinyl records. They have been in the past mostly the 50s but 10'' singles or EPs were the exception to the rule by the time we get to the 60s.

They are both marketed the same it's a 7'' single or a 7'' single EP both chart exactly the same way and only the lead off track gets the radio play. Don't release your 7'' EP and put the best track on the B-side as it won't get played.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 6:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Of course but what I'm getting at here is be it single or EP they are not as you mentioned pressed up as 10'' vinyl records. They have been in the past mostly the 50s but 10'' singles or EPs were the exception to the rule by the time we get to the 60s.

They are both marketed the same it's a 7'' single or a 7'' single EP both chart exactly the same way and only the lead off track gets the radio play. Don't release your 7'' EP and put the best track on the B-side as it won't get played.
I accept your apology. :shifty:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 6:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 6:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I accept your apology. :shifty:
Your graciousness bcomes you. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia