3. (I Never Loved) Eva Braun
4. Mary of the 4th Form
5. She's So Modern
1. Rat Trap
2. Like Clockwork
3. (I Never Loved) Eva Braun
4. She's So Modern
5. Me And Howard Hughes

Great choice citizen Marky. My UK vinyl copy didn't have Mary, on the US version? Saw Citizen Boomtown recently, lot's of things I never knew about the band.
Yeah it's really a track from the first album. But the UK single is an alternate version re-recorded and included on the US version. "Joey's on the Street Again" from the first album was also on some US versions. I've also got an alternate version of "She's So Modern" that was released on a cheap punk/new wave cd.

I've not seen Citizen Boomtown is that a new documentary?
Yep, thought you'd gone with the US vinyl, must seek out the the alternate versions you mention. Citizens of Boomtown is from last year, still up on BBC iPlayer and well worth a watch. Easy to forget how massive they got in 78/79 but they blew their chances in the US.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jjr5
Cheers mate I'll watch this later.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Heston »

Yes that's a good doc.

Rat Trap
She's So Modern
Like Clockwork
Eva Braun
Mary of the Fourth Form
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I watched the doc and enjoyed it. Very well put together. People still can't say Boomtown without saying "Boontown".

What I also found interesting is the way in which Geldof and Strummer's beginnings mirrored each others. Both being inspired by Woody Guthrie Joe being called 'Woody" and The Boomtown Rats being a name of the gang in "Bound For Glory". Then both The Rats and The 101ers playing sped up R&B inspired by Dr. Feelgood.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 May 2021, 7:05pm
I watched the doc and enjoyed it. Very well put together. People still can't say Boomtown without saying "Boontown".

What I also found interesting is the way in which Geldof and Strummer's beginnings mirrored each others. Both being inspired by Woody Guthrie Joe being called 'Woody" and The Boomtown Rats being a name of the gang in "Bound For Glory". Then both The Rats and The 101ers playing sped up R&B inspired by Dr. Feelgood.
I have never noticed that being an issue before. I wonder if it’s a UK thing because Boomtown is a word I would recognize from the gold rush and boontown makes no sense to me as a compound word.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Eva Braun
Blind Date
Living On An Island
She's So Modern
Like Clockwork

My favorite Boomtown Rats album

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
01 May 2021, 7:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:

I have never noticed that being an issue before. I wonder if it’s a UK thing because Boomtown is a word I would recognize from the gold rush and boontown makes no sense to me as a compound word.
Phonetics I guess. In the doc I noticed English, Irish and American all pronouncing it with an "N" sound instead of an "M".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 May 2021, 5:38am
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Phonetics I guess. In the doc I noticed English, Irish and American all pronouncing it with an "N" sound instead of an "M".
Just verbal laziness is my guess. The same reason most people say "chung gum" instead of "chewing gum."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
02 May 2021, 6:25am
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Just verbal laziness is my guess. The same reason most people say "chung gum" instead of "chewing gum."
what?
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
02 May 2021, 11:39am
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

what?
Never heard that either.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 May 2021, 12:15pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Wolter wrote:

what?
Never heard that either.
Might be a Northern thing. I also might have made it sound too Japanese. Maybe "chun gum" is more like it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
02 May 2021, 12:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 May 2021, 12:15pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

what?
Never heard that either.
Might be a Northern thing. I also might have made it sound too Japanese. Maybe "chun gum" is more like it.
Must be a northern type thing mate. I've never heard that down south. We say bubbalicious or super bazooka.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

I often drop my g’s from the end of ing words, but even if I’m saying “chewin’ gum” it’s still got all the syllables.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
02 May 2021, 12:53pm
I often drop my g’s from the end of ing words, but even if I’m saying “chewin’ gum” it’s still got all the syllables.
Yep that's the same here.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Top 5 tracks from "Darklands" - The Jesus & Mary Chain.

1. Happy When It Rains
2. April Skies
3. Darklands
4. Nine Million Rainy Days
5. Deep One Perfect Morning

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.