Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Heston and Marky's Friday Top 5

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 2:23pm
Wolter wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 2:21pm
I think my list is the same songs, but my order is 3,5,1,2,4.
Your opinions sicken me
There are things that I’d like to say…
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Heston's Friday Top 5

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 2:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:39am
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 8:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 7:48am
matedog wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 5:10am
Crazy that the pre Crash period is two years for me vs post Crash which is now 13 years. I don’t feel like I lost that much anymore. Particularly with how much dumber I was in those days.
You'll be amazed at how dumb you'll become when your kids hit adolescence.

(BTW, I agree with you re. the mix on "Satellite of Love." That Bowie sounds so much louder than everything else is a distraction to the piece as a whole.)
Bowie just had a much better vocal range than Lou. Lou has said as much stating Bowie's ear for melody being "fabulous". Also I'm sure it's Mick Ronson on the backing vocals. Fine if people prefer the original VU take for "Loaded" but with the remake they were going for airplay.
The ahhh-ooooooo! part isn't Bowie? Okay, Ronson is too loud.
Wikipedia cites a quote from Lou Reed talking about Bowie doing the vocals on that part, but whatever, too loud/distinct.
Yes Bowie and Thunderthighs. I'm sure Ronno is in there also. But the high vocal is Bowie's. I like it a lot. I like how it goes higher. But hey fair enough each to his own. It's a great track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 2:55pm
Yes Bowie and Thunderthighs. I'm sure Ronno is in there also. But the high vocal is Bowie's. I like it a lot. I like how it goes higher. But hey fair enough each to his own. It's a great track.
I have this really weird thing with Lou Reed. I absolutely adore his VU songs on the first two albums, less on 3 and 4 and his solo stuff is so hit or miss for me. Wild Side, Vicious, Street Hassle I absolutely love, but not a lot more than that. It's just a weird mix of stuff I think is great and meh. Not a lot of "very good" for me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 3:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I have this really weird thing with Lou Reed. I absolutely adore his VU songs on the first two albums, less on 3 and 4 and his solo stuff is so hit or miss for me. Wild Side, Vicious, Street Hassle I absolutely love, but not a lot more than that. It's just a weird mix of stuff I think is great and meh. Not a lot of "very good" for me.
It's all good mate. My fave VU album is "Loaded" so I dig the poppy sounding stuff more. But it's a rich catalogue of music with plenty to enjoy for all. 😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 3:07pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I'm also pretty meh on solo Lou. I like Berlin (or at least I did last time I listened, which was years and years ago), most of Transformer, and do dig MMM, tho it's not a regular player. And I didn't mind the record he did with Cale in the late 80s or early 90s. But generally whatever he was going for just didn't reach me.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I love Satellite of Love, and the backing vocals being too loud never crossed my mind. They are great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
16 Nov 2021, 7:00pm
I love Satellite of Love, and the backing vocals being too loud never crossed my mind. They are great.
Honestly, same.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Crazy that the pre Crash period is two years for me vs post Crash which is now 13 years. I don’t feel like I lost that much anymore. Particularly with how much dumber I was in those days.

(BTW, I agree with you re. the mix on "Satellite of Love." That Bowie sounds so much louder than everything else is a distraction to the piece as a whole.)
Bowie just had a much better vocal range than Lou. Lou has said as much stating Bowie's ear for melody being "fabulous". Also I'm sure it's Mick Ronson on the backing vocals. Fine if people prefer the original VU take for "Loaded" but with the remake they were going for airplay.
So if it's too loud you're too old, right on pops! 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 10:37am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:

You'll be sorry when you can't hear your grandchildren because of your rock and/or roll music!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

[quote="Dr. Medulla" post_id=632038 time=1637163570 user_id=54]
[quote="Marky Dread" post_id=632026 time=1637159875 user_id=123]
[quote="Dr. Medulla" post_id=631942 time=1637066375 user_id=54]
[quote="Marky Dread" post_id=631940 time=1637066062 user_id=123]
[quote="Dr. Medulla" post_id=631935 time=1637063330 user_id=54]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You'll be sorry when you can't hear your grandchildren because of your rock and/or roll music!
[/quote]

Pardon, eh what?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Back in high school, there was one greasy weirdo who got picked on a lot by the jocks and cool kids—no, it wasn't me!—and he wore a KISS Animalize shirt with the tag "If it's too loud, you're too old" on it pretty much every day. Doubtless it was probably because of poverty and he only had a few shirts, but it was one more thing that invited abuse from the high school monsters. Different time and different locale, maybe he's someone who brings a gun to school. :disshame:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 2:27pm
Back in high school, there was one greasy weirdo who got picked on a lot by the jocks and cool kids—no, it wasn't me!—and he wore a KISS Animalize shirt with the tag "If it's too loud, you're too old" on it pretty much every day. Doubtless it was probably because of poverty and he only had a few shirts, but it was one more thing that invited abuse from the high school monsters. Different time and different locale, maybe he's someone who brings a gun to school. :disshame:
A love gun?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 3:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A love gun?
Boo!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 3:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A love gun?
Boo!
Hey man it wasn't me who made him feel bad. In fact I was the kid who would've ended up getting the cane standing up for him. Half my regular visits to the headmaster was because I was fighting bullies.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 3:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2021, 3:20pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A love gun?
Boo!
Hey man it wasn't me who made him feel bad. In fact I was the kid who would've ended up getting the cane standing up for him. Half my regular visits to the headmaster was because I was fighting bullies.
Boo for the KISS pun; standing ovation for standing up for the weirdo!