Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

General music discussion.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

Post by Silent Majority »

Here it is. From '94, but not published in the UK til `97. So, that's... 26 years that this has been contextless in my head.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
20 May 2023, 10:36am

Here it is. From '94, but not published in the UK til `97. So, that's... 26 years that this has been contextless in my head.
That's fantastic. Right down to Krusty's eyepatch.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

my kinda lyrics
Attachments
coke.png
coke.png (21.6 KiB) Viewed 2451 times
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

The greatest surf song that wasn't recorded by the Beach Boys?

The story goes that Brian befriended Jan Berry, perhaps recognizing a kindred musical spirit. It's been said that Brian picked up quite a bit of his production technique from watching Jan in the studio. Anyway, they're at a party, and Brian plays Jan "Surfin' U.S.A." and Jan asks if they can record it. Brian tells him no, but mentions he has another song that he started but didn't think he'd finish. It was called "Goody Connie Won't You Come Home," and Brian had the opening, first verse, and chorus.

Jan took the song, finished it up, and it became a #1 for Jan & Dean. Brian sang on the single, doubling Dean Torrance's falsetto.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yeah, that song kicks ass.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

RIP to Jeff Foskett.

He joined the BB touring band in 1981, contributing guitar and falsetto. He'd leave in 1990 to support Brian Wilson, becoming an integral part of Brian's live and studio work. He rejoined the Beach Boys in 2014 and remained a member until he was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2019.

Flex

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 Dec 2023, 2:57pm

RIP to Jeff Foskett.

He joined the BB touring band in 1981, contributing guitar and falsetto. He'd leave in 1990 to support Brian Wilson, becoming an integral part of Brian's live and studio work. He rejoined the Beach Boys in 2014 and remained a member until he was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2019.
Very much sucks. Foskett isn't a household name but as much as anyone he helped keep the beach boys an ongoing, professional operation and he seemed to act as sort of a conduit between the various factions of the band at different times. RIP.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
11 Dec 2023, 7:12pm
WestwayKid wrote:
11 Dec 2023, 2:57pm

RIP to Jeff Foskett.

Very much sucks. Foskett isn't a household name but as much as anyone he helped keep the beach boys an ongoing, professional operation and he seemed to act as sort of a conduit between the various factions of the band at different times. RIP.
One of the coolest Foskett stories is that he simply knocked on Brian's door back in the mid-70's. As luck would have it, Brian answered and welcomed him inside to talk. Jeff would later be asked to join the BB touring line up when Carl temporarily bolted in the early 80's. When Carl returned, there were a few messy rehearsals and Carl vowed to retool the touring line up. Jeff worried he would be out, but Dennis pulled him aside and don't worry, you're in. He seemed like a cool guy, down to Earth, friendly.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:29pm
I was at the D.C. show! My first ever concert. I was about 4 1/2 months old.

I'd kill for the full video of that concert. Kill Hoy, mostly.
Took me forever to realize that Mr. T was one of the THREE drummers playing at this show. Brian is playing a mean keytar and dipshit Bruce Johnston even gets a two note sax solo. This explains so much about Flex.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I love that Hoy can't mention Johnston (or Terry) without adding an insult. That's not a dig, but sincere amusement.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 12:17pm
Flex wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:29pm
I was at the D.C. show! My first ever concert. I was about 4 1/2 months old.

I'd kill for the full video of that concert. Kill Hoy, mostly.
Took me forever to realize that Mr. T was one of the THREE drummers playing at this show. Brian is playing a mean keytar and dipshit Bruce Johnston even gets a two note sax solo. This explains so much about Flex.
It's frustrating that they felt they needed to do crap like this to stay relevant. There is nothing cool about this performance.

matedog

Post by matedog »

I got three things (and counting) I don't get about Beach Boys nerds (assuming they are all the same as WWK and Flex):
1. Why don't y'all hate Bruce Johnston more?
2. Why don't you care who sings on their songs? Beyond the two randos, you got their manager and Brian's wife on tunes. They'd let anyone sing.
3. Why do you like Beach Boys Love You?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The above reminded me to modify my proxy: Hoy gets to vote/argue for me on Clash topics and Beach Boys topics.*

* I reserve the right for the occasional independent thought on these issues.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 7:48pm
I got three things (and counting) I don't get about Beach Boys nerds (assuming they are all the same as WWK and Flex):
1. Why don't y'all hate Bruce Johnston more?
2. Why don't you care who sings on their songs? Beyond the two randos, you got their manager and Brian's wife on tunes. They'd let anyone sing.
3. Why do you like Beach Boys Love You?
Love You is a deliciously bizarre look into Brian Wilson's personality with sounds that are almost protilo-synth-pop and an unsettling tension between the burnout vibe and childlike qualities of the music. It's a deeply weird masterpiece.

I like goofing on Bruce. He's shlock city. But his best contributions were mostly on the band's (nearly) best albums, so *shrug*

To #2, I don't know what you mean. I was always quite interested in knowing who sang what. If you mean why didn't the Beach Boys exercise better quality control over who sang on their songs, well... *Gestures vaguely at entire history of the beach boys*

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 11:51pm
To #2, I don't know what you mean. I was always quite interested in knowing who sang what. If you mean why didn't the Beach Boys exercise better quality control over who sang on their songs, well... *Gestures vaguely at entire history of the beach boys*
Nah I meant all the randos (not just the two) that show up on songs, especially in the 70s and people don't get upset by it. They act like it's not unusual.