Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 1:17pm
I find it sorta like how I continue to listen to Weezer. I can still find traces of what I love from those first two albums in all their work. Sometimes the traces are bigger than others.
Those are skid marks, Andrew
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 1:18pm
matedog wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 1:17pm
I find it sorta like how I continue to listen to Weezer. I can still find traces of what I love from those first two albums in all their work. Sometimes the traces are bigger than others.
Those are skid marks, Andrew
:disshame:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 1:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 1:09pm
WestwayKid wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 1:04pm
matedog wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 11:55am
Flex wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 7:52pm
Tangentially, I think this is part of why fans of the band tend to even love the stuff that's pretty shit, because it's as much about loving Brian and the rest as anything, and you can still do that even with the crap records.
This actually makes sense to me why there is love for a period that I just can't understand.
My philosophy for their worst periods is "hey, but it's still the Beach Boys" and that allows me to at least find something decent.
I can never do that, even with artists I love. Shit is shit and I have a hard time rationalizing it. :meh:
I think there's a big difference between creative people (or at least people whose creativity you vibe with) making bad music and bland morons making bad music. I'll spend time finding interesting stuff in a bad beach boys period because there's stuff to find, but I don't think there's anything of creative value in a Nickelback album (for example). It's why there's stuff to sift through and enjoy even in low periods of the clash/Joe strummer/mick Jones' creativity, at least to me.

I'd also make a distinction, not that you're suggesting otherwise but just for the record, between appreciating the good within the bad and pretending the bad is actually good. It's the difference between finding something of value in cut the crap and actually thinking it's a good record.
As an example for me, there are several Wire records that are just lousy to me. I've tried to find something decent in them, but nope. Good artist makes bad album and I can't be bothered to find little bits that are okay. I can accept criticism that I'm being too narrow or absolute, but it feels like the CtC slippery slope where people convince themselves that it could be a good record.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 1:27pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:

This actually makes sense to me why there is love for a period that I just can't understand.
My philosophy for their worst periods is "hey, but it's still the Beach Boys" and that allows me to at least find something decent.
I can never do that, even with artists I love. Shit is shit and I have a hard time rationalizing it. :meh:
I think there's a big difference between creative people (or at least people whose creativity you vibe with) making bad music and bland morons making bad music. I'll spend time finding interesting stuff in a bad beach boys period because there's stuff to find, but I don't think there's anything of creative value in a Nickelback album (for example). It's why there's stuff to sift through and enjoy even in low periods of the clash/Joe strummer/mick Jones' creativity, at least to me.

I'd also make a distinction, not that you're suggesting otherwise but just for the record, between appreciating the good within the bad and pretending the bad is actually good. It's the difference between finding something of value in cut the crap and actually thinking it's a good record.
As an example for me, there are several Wire records that are just lousy to me. I've tried to find something decent in them, but nope. Good artist makes bad album and I can't be bothered to find little bits that are okay. I can accept criticism that I'm being too narrow or absolute, but it feels like the CtC slippery slope where people convince themselves that it could be a good record.
There's some pretty shit stuff that Bob Dylan has put out that I find basically irredeemable (and, as has been getting cataloged here, some real shit beach boys stuff too) so I think there's limits to the reclamation process. But, yeah, I guess I just like being able to find things to enjoy from even the kinda crappy stuff the artists I most love and have affection for put out. I don't bother doing this with most artists, mind.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
26 Jan 2023, 7:52pm
Tangentially, I think this is part of why fans of the band tend to even love the stuff that's pretty shit, because it's as much about loving Brian and the rest as anything, and you can still do that even with the crap records.

Even with their worst releases (Keepin' the Summer Alive comes to mind) I can find something of value.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

How much of a completist are y'all?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 5:40pm
I've heard it, it's fine. Easy listening muzak, basically.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 5:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Better or worse than "Kokomo"?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In what world is this fine?

Fatherhood must be turning you into some kind of SRP. You'll be beat up at the SLAPSHOT gig for sure.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Pure schmaltz. Capitol let him do it so he'd quit bothering them about Beach Boys stuff.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
But the cover has hot sexy 60s babes on it. And it has the word "moods" in it. The cover just oozes sex. Except for the inclusion of "Murry Wilson."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
30 Jan 2023, 5:59pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In what world is this fine?

Fatherhood must be turning you into some kind of SRP. You'll be beat up at the SLAPSHOT gig for sure.
I find that sort of music kinda funny. Just totally white and sexless. A weird artifact from a different time.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Speaking of Murry, there is this lost classic - cowritten by Brian and his dad and recorded early on during the Sunflower sessions.

Murry's is credited using the pseudonym Reggie Dunbar. Not sure why.

It's a catchy song, but only hit #63 when released as a single in 1969. It was also their final Capitol single until 1986.

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 2:14pm

Speaking of Murry, there is this lost classic - cowritten by Brian and his dad and recorded early on during the Sunflower sessions.

It's a catchy song, but only hit #63 when released as a single in 1969. It was also their final Capitol single until 1986.
Went to #6 in the UK. I had never heard of this song until I read about it in the Carl bio. I think it's alright/pretty good. Not really a lost gem for me.

Also from the comp, I dig this alt version of Big Sur -

I very much prefer it to the awkward 3/4 rhythm on Holland.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 2:39pm
WestwayKid wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 2:14pm

Went to #6 in the UK. I had never heard of this song until I read about it in the Carl bio. I think it's alright/pretty good. Not really a lost gem for me.

Also from the comp, I dig this alt version of Big Sur -

I very much prefer it to the awkward 3/4 rhythm on Holland.
Agree on Big Sur. It's a nice example of Mike doing something decent.