Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Andrew WK Thread

Post by matedog »

Sparky wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:52am
Olaf wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:50am
Wow, we have an Andrew WK thread?
Yeah, I had to Google his name, guess I'm a bit out of touch as I've never heard of him.
I Get Wet came out 20 years ago. Fuck that makes me feel ancient.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
14 May 2021, 9:46am
Good job AWK!
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/0 ... lationship
I also like that she can get him to wash his hair and put on a clean non-white shirt for the first time ever, but the shitty Swatch watch is forever:
That’s absolutely not a swatch. God damn it, Hoy, leave the 80s to the experts.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
14 May 2021, 10:07am
matedog wrote:
Good job AWK!
I also like that she can get him to wash his hair and put on a clean non-white shirt for the first time ever, but the shitty Swatch watch is forever:
It looks like some 90s Timex shit you horology nerd, but my point was that he has a shitty old digital watch.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:
14 May 2021, 10:10am
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Good job AWK!
It looks like some 90s Timex shit you horology nerd, but my point was that he has a shitty old digital watch.
Looks to be a Casio G-Shock to me, but hey, what's wrong with Swatch watch? I've still got a couple of them in a drawer somewhere, might be collectible someday!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Yeah, I had to Google his name, guess I'm a bit out of touch as I've never heard of him.
Only read the Hard Times stories about him.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
14 May 2021, 10:10am
Wolter wrote:
matedog wrote:
Good job AWK!
The swatch is a very specific brand that was popular with kids when I was about 10. It looked like [drumroll] a swatch of fabric with analog hands and no numbers, not a cheap Casio digital watch. Do your damn research or stick to the 90s.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Sparky wrote:
Olaf wrote:
You are not sir.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
14 May 2021, 11:55am
Sparky wrote:
Olaf wrote:
You are not sir.
Knowing his existence has neither provided value nor detriment to my life, if I’m being honest.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Silent Majority wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Olaf wrote:
You are not sir.
He made a bizarrely perfect album that gained a little bit of commercial/mainstream attention in early-mid 2002. I Get Wet as paradoxically foreign yet familiar. His follow up the next year did not quite have the intangible perfection and the novelty of his schtick wore off. He eventually became a sort of self help, self esteem boosting figure and his music became secondary. He is a well established "party" meme and does lots of weird shit that we've documented in this thread, but beyond his brief dabbling in commercial relevance in 2002, I don't think he's ever been popular.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
14 May 2021, 12:00pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Olaf wrote:
You are not sir.
Knowing his existence has neither provided value nor detriment to my life, if I’m being honest.
Perfectly stated, except for the Hard Times stories that have given me a good chuckle.

matedog

Post by matedog »

So "I Get Wet" sounded like nothing that has come before and really nothing that has come since. However, the new Smith Street Band is the first time I can really say, "hey this sounds like Andrew WK." Even if it diverges in many other ways (for example, I don't think it's about partying), the robot voice and the drums are spot on "Party Hard."

I'm enjoying the hell out of the song as well.

matedog

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
Good job AWK!
They sealed the deal!
https://www.vogue.com/slideshow/kat-den ... wk-wedding

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 4:21pm
matedog wrote:
Good job AWK!
They sealed the deal!
I'm torn on whether her voice is cool sounding or annoying as fuck.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Dec 2023, 4:31pm
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:
Good job AWK!
They sealed the deal!
Don’t know what she sounds like just that she got jugs.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
matedog wrote:
Good job AWK!
They sealed the deal!
Don’t know what she sounds like just that she got jugs.
Go find some clips of her talking.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft