Deep Bob Dylan Theory 2012

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Deep Bob Dylan Theory 2012

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 12:54pm
I've never done a deep dive into Dylan's music but I recognize so.e of his songs to lyrically be some of the best ever written.

I'm trying to bring my son around to at least appreciating Bob Dylan. His music teacher at school played Blowin in the Wind for the class and he was underwhelmed which I guess for a middle schooler is somewhat understandable.
I mean, taste is taste. I'd say if your son has an interest in rock and rock history, he'll hopefully at least develop some academic appreciation for BOb6, if not an aesthetic one.

You should play his most poetic song for him... wiggle wiggle.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 2:58pm
revbob wrote:
27 Apr 2019, 12:54pm
I've never done a deep dive into Dylan's music but I recognize so.e of his songs to lyrically be some of the best ever written.

I'm trying to bring my son around to at least appreciating Bob Dylan. His music teacher at school played Blowin in the Wind for the class and he was underwhelmed which I guess for a middle schooler is somewhat understandable.
I mean, taste is taste. I'd say if your son has an interest in rock and rock history, he'll hopefully at least develop some academic appreciation for BOb6, if not an aesthetic one.

You should play his most poetic song for him... wiggle wiggle.
He's been getting more into the hippity hop that the young people seem to be listening to these days. He likes some of the stuff I listen to but its important he finds his own way musically. Like with politics I've never tried to push my ideas on my kids just expose them to stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Thia guy sounds like he's never heard a Dylan interview before.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

I enjoyed this. Dylan interpreted as Penguin Classics books: https://dylan61penguin.blogspot.com/201 ... ssics.html

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 7:31pm
I enjoyed this. Dylan interpreted as Penguin Classics books: https://dylan61penguin.blogspot.com/201 ... ssics.html
Fantastic effort there. The photos especially looked perfect for Penguin editions.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex

Post by Flex »

this is a great release for anyone who wants a deep dive into blood on the tracks. you need to be the kind of weirdo who wants to consume tons of alternate takes and such, but it's a pretty fascinating set of sessions.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 10:29am
this is a great release for anyone who wants a deep dive into blood on the tracks. you need to be the kind of weirdo who wants to consume tons of alternate takes and such, but it's a pretty fascinating set of sessions.
The Dylan stuff can get a little overwhelming at times. I know there is a market for it - but it's too much for me to sift through (most of the time). I do like that there is usually a standard edition that condenses down some of the best stuff.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 10:58am
The Dylan stuff can get a little overwhelming at times. I know there is a market for it - but it's too much for me to sift through (most of the time). I do like that there is usually a standard edition that condenses down some of the best stuff.
Yeah, the Dylan camp recognizes that most music is actually best consumed through a single or two disc set, and the massive boxes can be reserved for the true weirdos (like me). Given that these distilled collections seem to have totally fallen out of favor (to the disservice of the listener, imho) I credit Bob & co. for their commitment to both styles of presenting the music.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Has this been posted before? It rings a bell: http://www.openculture.com/2018/09/clas ... overs.html

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

“Folk music is the only music where it isn't simple! It's weird, man, full of legend, myth, Bible and ghosts … chaos, watermelons, clocks, everything." - to Nora Ephron, 1965