General music discussion.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Fall

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Mark E Smith in 2015.
"But you can’t even watch TV in peace these days. There is a lot of peer pressure to watch certain programmes. It is like, ‘Have you watched Game of Thrones Mark?' Why? Should I have done? You are a social leper if you are not up to speed with the latest ridiculous episiode. The wife goes, ‘The rest of the band have got Netflix Mark.’ I just say go and live with them then. You even have to pay £50 to watch football on the box these days.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/138 ... echnology/
"It was better in the old days when no one was interested in anything and didn't want to talk about stuff, and basically we all sat in the dark. Things were better when we didn't communicate." What a hilarious codger.
The thing is he really has a point in someways. With all the technology available it just seems to make us more stupid. Now we can call up on our mobiles whenever we like and connect through Facebook/Twitter and fuck knows what else, no one bothers to actually talk to each other but instead just send text messages and pics of the bosses secretary bending over the fax machine.
Eh, I'm not so jaundiced. I'm not saying there are no negative consequences, but it's still communication. As well, there's less gatekeeping via Internet communication, which is a positive development.
I'm definitely a piece of string and two tin cans type of guy. Of course technology is amazing I wouldn't be here otherwise, but wow does it seriously come in for abuse.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:Of course technology is amazing I wouldn't be here otherwise, but wow does it seriously come in for abuse.
Which can be said of any technology. As much as I wince at the quality of online discourse—too often it seems like it's a competition to dredge up people's worst qualities and bigotries—anything that opens up communication is a positive development.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Silent Majority wrote:Shit, I still haven't heard 2015's Fall album. I've just downloaded it, will give it a play now. Through my computer machine.
That was pretty great, if you ask me.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Of course technology is amazing I wouldn't be here otherwise, but wow does it seriously come in for abuse.
Which can be said of any technology. As much as I wince at the quality of online discourse—too often it seems like it's a competition to dredge up people's worst qualities and bigotries—anything that opens up communication is a positive development.
Did you just say what I wanted to say only a thousand times better, but yeah I go along with all of that statement. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Shit, I still haven't heard 2015's Fall album. I've just downloaded it, will give it a play now. Through my computer machine.
He's settled into a decent groove. Nothing exceptional, but nothing that suggests it's time for him to hang up the gloves.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
He's settled into a decent groove. Nothing exceptional, but nothing that suggests it's time for him to hang up the gloves.
Did you play it after six cans of lager at top volume? Anecdotal evidence over here suggests that's the best way to listen to it.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Did you play it after six cans of lager at top volume? Anecdotal evidence over here suggests that's the best way to listen to it.
I can't recall the last time I've had that much beer, MES or not. Quite possibly I was still your age.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I've never been able to get into The Fall, what is it about them that y'all find enjoyable/what's a good "give 'em another chance" album?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I've never really gotten into The Fall either, but if Kory don't like 'em then I do.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:I've never really gotten into The Fall either, but if Kory don't like 'em then I do.
Actually, I thought we were talking about the Camus book. I do like the band.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
Flex wrote:I've never really gotten into The Fall either, but if Kory don't like 'em then I do.
Then they suck, but Camus4eva
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:
Then they suck, but Camus4eva
You really are a politician!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

fall.jpg
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 7:35am
fall.jpg
:lol: I especially like that all the testimonials are from married women.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

I once did the scoring on the darts before The Fall played a gig at Fat Sam's, Dundee, mid-80s. "Can You drum?" asked Mark when he realised I could count to four. "Fuck off," said their drummer at the time.