The Shoegazing Thread

General music discussion.
biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Shoegazing Thread

Post by biopunk »

Dirty Harry wrote:New shoegazing film/documentary coming out soon, Been about 3 years in the making

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Thanks for posting these. For some reason, I thought this was the same as the Upside Down film. :huh:

Another observation: Sennen was a Ride song, and Swallow, a MBV song...
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

biopunk wrote:Another observation: Sennen was a Ride song, and Swallow, a MBV song...
Sennen is definitely named after the song; can't say about Swallow, tho.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

During the time I was listening to Shoegaze bands, I was also liking the band Close Lobster. Not a SG band, but some of their songs fit in well with the genre.
[v][/v]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

daredevil wrote:During the time I was listening to Shoegaze bands, I was also liking the band Close Lobster. Not a SG band, but some of their songs fit in well with the genre.
[v][/v]
Quelle coincidence—last week I played Foxheads Stalk This Land. Don't ask me why, but I always thought they were an Athens, GA, band.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
biopunk wrote:Anyone heard Th' Faith Healers? Their Lido album from 1992 might be considered "shoe-gazey".

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Kory wrote:Swervedriver: Raise <--YES! My long-distance driving soundtrack.

I don't know if we want to include dreamier pop stuff, I get a kick out of Julee Cruise and Hooverphonic's Blue Wonder Power Milk.

(As I said, I'm pretty green)
Works for me.

Highly Biased Observation: Shoegaze bands had the best EPs of any genre in the early 90s.
I checked out Th' Faith Healers a few years ago, at a time that I probably wasn't ready for them. I'll have to give them another spin. I go through phases frequently in which I'll hear something, decide it's not for me, but say to myself "eh, I'll probably like that in about 5 years." I'm almost never wrong.
I'm listening to Lido right now and it's fantastic. As in, why the fuck had I never heard them before? I'm hesitant to call it shoegaze, tho. Too many gaps in the sound, I think. I hear a whole lot of krautrock in them, especially Can. Regardless, it's an exceptional disc.

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
biopunk wrote:Anyone heard Th' Faith Healers? Their Lido album from 1992 might be considered "shoe-gazey".

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Kory wrote:Swervedriver: Raise <--YES! My long-distance driving soundtrack.

I don't know if we want to include dreamier pop stuff, I get a kick out of Julee Cruise and Hooverphonic's Blue Wonder Power Milk.

Works for me.

Highly Biased Observation: Shoegaze bands had the best EPs of any genre in the early 90s.
I checked out Th' Faith Healers a few years ago, at a time that I probably wasn't ready for them. I'll have to give them another spin. I go through phases frequently in which I'll hear something, decide it's not for me, but say to myself "eh, I'll probably like that in about 5 years." I'm almost never wrong.
I'm listening to Lido right now and it's fantastic. As in, why the fuck had I never heard them before? I'm hesitant to call it shoegaze, tho. Too many gaps in the sound, I think. I hear a whole lot of krautrock in them, especially Can. Regardless, it's an exceptional disc.
Lido is probably there best album also talking of Can they do an amazing cover version of 'Mother Sky' can't remember what album it's from though.
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Dirty Harry wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote: I checked out Th' Faith Healers a few years ago, at a time that I probably wasn't ready for them. I'll have to give them another spin. I go through phases frequently in which I'll hear something, decide it's not for me, but say to myself "eh, I'll probably like that in about 5 years." I'm almost never wrong.
Lido is probably there best album also talking of Can they do an amazing cover version of 'Mother Sky' can't remember what album it's from though.
It's on my Lido cassette, but the track listings were different on CD & LP, depending on format.

If you like Roxanne's voice Doc, she sang a Bobby Gentry cover for a bonus Moose 7"

[youtube][/youtube]

Moose also did a Wire cover on the same 7"

[youtube][/youtube]
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

biopunk wrote:
Dirty Harry wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote: I checked out Th' Faith Healers a few years ago, at a time that I probably wasn't ready for them. I'll have to give them another spin. I go through phases frequently in which I'll hear something, decide it's not for me, but say to myself "eh, I'll probably like that in about 5 years." I'm almost never wrong.
It's on my Lido cassette, but the track listings were different on CD & LP, depending on format.
Yup, it's on the copy of Lido I dl'd, towards the end. And it's an excellent cover.
If you like Roxanne's voice Doc, she sang a Bobby Gentry cover for a bonus Moose 7"

[youtube][/youtube]

Moose also did a Wire cover on the same 7"

[youtube][/youtube]
Shit, everything's comin' up Milhouse! That's a decent cover. I'll be dl-ing the youtube audio pronto.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:I'll add some further probably obvious ones:
Chapterhouse: Whirlpool
Catherine Wheel: Ferment
Lush: Spooky
Swervedriver: Raise
The Verve started out in this style, I think A Storm in Heaven is pretty good

Those first three Swervedriver EP's are fanfuckintastic.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Use to dig this one although haven't heard it in a very long time.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

...and another.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Marky Dread wrote:...and another.
Great album and certainly their best out of the 2 studio albums they released the 2nd album 'National Coma' was bad.. They also recorded an album before delaware which was called 'Mayfield' and was never released but its out there on the net on loads of blogs and is a shoegazing classic.
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Big Pink is another quality contemporary shoegaze band. A Brief History of Love will knock your socks off.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:The Big Pink is another quality contemporary shoegaze band. A Brief History of Love will knock your socks off.
I will check it out. I just got my Tearwave CDs in the mail—those are some very humorous looking folks, considering the kind of music they play.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »