BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: The GREAT Clash SURVIVOR Poll of 2019: RESULTS

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
02 May 2019, 3:56pm
BitterTom wrote:
02 May 2019, 3:35pm
White Man was a shock for me, and personal taste wise, would have liked to see LITS get a bit further. I know I'm like a broken record but it's such a beautiful song.
I'm like a broken record but it's always the production of White Man that marks it down for me. If only they'd had a top producer on board instead of letting 22 year old Mick do it.
It is a little wimpy to me. Needs some bollocks in its sound which would easily make it number 2 for me.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

BitterTom wrote:
02 May 2019, 3:58pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
White Man was a shock for me, and personal taste wise, would have liked to see LITS get a bit further. I know I'm like a broken record but it's such a beautiful song.
I'm like a broken record but it's always the production of White Man that marks it down for me. If only they'd had a top producer on board instead of letting 22 year old Mick do it.
It is a little wimpy to me. Needs some bollocks in its sound which would easily make it number 2 for me.
I fell in love with it whilst listening to it on shitty cheap record players so production has never been an issue for me.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
I agree with Hes that White Man should have gotten the GEER production treatment :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

101Walterton wrote:
02 May 2019, 3:59pm
BitterTom wrote:
02 May 2019, 3:58pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
I fell in love with it whilst listening to it on shitty cheap record players so production has never been an issue for me.
I'm part of the spoilt Story of The Clash cd era!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
02 May 2019, 3:59pm
Heston wrote:
I agree with Hes that White Man should have gotten the GEER production treatment :cool:
We never got to hear Pearlman do reggae unless you count the fucking superb ending of Safe European Home. So maybe it could have worked. All I know is the original has this harsh, brittle sound which I'm not keen on and the bass sound is terrible.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I’m surprised they never re recorded it considering how highly the song was regarded. They re recorded Remote Control and that had completely different sound.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
02 May 2019, 4:02pm
I’m surprised they never re recorded it considering how highly the song was regarded. They re recorded Remote Control and that had completely different sound.
They didn't really record it though, did they? It was more of a warm-up fuckaround in the studio.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
02 May 2019, 4:03pm
101Walterton wrote:
They didn't really record it though, did they? It was more of a warm-up fuckaround in the studio.
Don’t know the story just thought if that track when wondering why they never re recorded White Man.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
02 May 2019, 4:06pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Don’t know the story just thought if that track when wondering why they never re recorded White Man.
The horse had bolted, charted and already took on semi-classic status. There's just a few 'what-ifs' there for me.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
True.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Would you agree it has the same wimpy problems as Capital Radio One? That's how I've always seen them.

Though it might just be me that thinks it sounds 'wimpy'

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
02 May 2019, 4:16pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Would you agree it has the same wimpy problems as Capital Radio One? That's how I've always seen them.

Yeah, that recording of Capital Radio is a bit weak, though in its defence it was just meant as a giveaway. And they righted that wrong later. White Man is such a great and iconic song it deserved better. I don't necessarily think it sounds wimpy, more tinny and harsh than anything.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
02 May 2019, 4:25pm
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Yeah, that recording of Capital Radio is a bit weak, though in its defence it was just meant as a giveaway. And they righted that wrong later. White Man is such a great and iconic song it deserved better. I don't necessarily think it sounds wimpy, more tinny and harsh than anything.
Agreed.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
02 May 2019, 4:27pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Agreed.
Wimpy? WTF (White Man) could kick most other songs in the nutbag from midnight to six.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 May 2019, 9:42pm
BitterTom wrote:
02 May 2019, 4:27pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Heston wrote:

Agreed.
Wimpy? WTF (White Man) could kick most other songs in the nutbag from midnight to six.
It's still one of my favourites but just wish the guitar had more to it. Wimpy might be the wrong word but like Heston said it's too tinny and personally, for a want of a better expression it needs more bollocks.