90%
Tommy Gun
10%

Total votes: 21

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

ROUND 3 - GEER - Side One

Post by WestwayKid »

If you're looking for the Last Gang in Town it is no longer part of this poll. Sorry.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: ROUND 3 - GEER - Side One

Post by Flex »

Three incredible tracks, but ECW is a little less incredible than the other two. I suspect this one is gonna be a massacre.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The only curiosity about Side 1 is whether "Tommygun" might upset the heavy favourite.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 7:54pm
The only curiosity about Side 1 is whether "Tommygun" might upset the heavy favourite.
I might vote Tommy just out of sympathy.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 8:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'll probably hold off and see whether my vote might be a difference maker.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Fuck sympathy, SEH deserves every accolade coming its way. It's one of those rare songs where I can remember exactly what I was doing when I first heard it, because it's so good. It's like the JFK shooting in song form. It just totally levelled me as a 14 year old when I first heard it. Superb song.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

No brainer here. ECW just has to go.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 9:36pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Fuck sympathy, SEH deserves every accolade coming its way. It's one of those rare songs where I can remember exactly what I was doing when I first heard it, because it's so good. It's like the JFK shooting in song form. It just totally levelled me as a 14 year old when I first heard it. Superb song.
It's a total punch in the gut the first time you hear it. You just have to listen. My first experience with the band was through the US version of the first album. I loved it...but the first time I got my hands on GEER - I simply was not prepared for the SOUND of that opening track. Catchy, bombastic, Mick sounds like he's playing an entire guitar factory. One of my all-time faves by the band.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
On a good day, Tommy Gun is a top 5 Clash song for me. That outro gets me every time. SEH is maybe top 15-20.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

I'm not a massive fan of the outro to Tommy Gun, I get it adds another dimension but I think the song would have benefited from just staying in the same key. That E chord at the start is powerful as fuck, that's how it should have ended.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 3:01pm
I'm not a massive fan of the outro to Tommy Gun, I get it adds another dimension but I think the song would have benefited from just staying in the same key. That E chord at the start is powerful as fuck, that's how it should have ended.
Now I think the change to B is pretty clever.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 3:10pm
BitterTom wrote:
Now I think the change to B is pretty clever.
Agreed, love the key change.

Side note - ECW is the weakest of the three as recorded. ECW fucking smokes live. Might even like it better than the other two live.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

BitterTom wrote:
I never noticed it was a key change, but now that you mention it, it's so obvious.

I think of GEER as kind of their 'outro album' where the main body of most of the songs is still 2 minutes or so like the first album, but a lot of them have a new part at the end to give the songs more depth. Not that this is exclusive to GEER, but it represents that particular creative breakthrough for them.

Heston

Post by Heston »

msza2 wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 10:49am
BitterTom wrote:
I never noticed it was a key change, but now that you mention it, it's so obvious.

I think of GEER as kind of their 'outro album' where the main body of most of the songs is still 2 minutes or so like the first album, but a lot of them have a new part at the end to give the songs more depth. Not that this is exclusive to GEER, but it represents that particular creative breakthrough for them.
It could be seen as a creative breakthrough or unnecessary padding, depending on your point of view. I certainly think Last Gang and All the Young Punks go on too long.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Heston wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 11:13am
msza2 wrote:
08 Apr 2019, 10:49am
BitterTom wrote:

It could be seen as a creative breakthrough or unnecessary padding, depending on your point of view. I certainly think Last Gang and All the Young Punks go on too long.
I agree those two go on too long, but it's because of an overlong song bodies, not outros.