15%

Total votes: 27

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: ROUND 4 - Sandinista! - Side One

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 12:58pm
I re-listened to S! last night. SAE rates a bit higher than I'd recalled - next round will be interesting, since my beloved Junco Partner seems to be getting the boot - but for me it's that wonky choral stuff towards the end that deflates the song a touch. A lot to think about in the next few hours, song-wise.
I love that wonky part as it evokes the misguided optimism at the beginning of the war.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 1:02pm
I love that wonky part as it evokes the misguided optimism at the beginning of the war.
the wife was like "why are they doing that?" when it came on. was hard to make a persuasive argument it made the listening experience better.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Something About England is emerging as a real dark horse in this contest. I think it has a serious chance to make it out of the first round...though doubtful it will make it off of the album.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 12:45pm
matedog wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 12:40pm
Heston wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 12:34pm
matedog wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 12:20pm
It took me forever to “get” SAE, mostly because I was so put off by Mick’s terrible vocals in the beginning, but it’s probably a top ten Clash tune for me.
Are you referring to that one note (respec....ted) or the vocal in general?
In general but that part in particular.
I think it is fine in general, pretty good in fact. I can see where you're coming from with that note but is in tune, maybe just a bit ambitious.
Mick’s vocals are always thin and usually weak. Also there are with those terrible synth horns. Though it’s a nice juxtaposition when joe’s warm, weary vocal enters.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 1:40pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 12:20pm
It took me forever to “get” SAE, mostly because I was so put off by Mick’s terrible vocals in the beginning, but it’s probably a top ten Clash tune for me.
I think it is fine in general, pretty good in fact. I can see where you're coming from with that note but is in tune, maybe just a bit ambitious.
Mick’s vocals are always thin and usually weak. Also there are with those terrible synth horns. Though it’s a nice juxtaposition when joe’s warm, weary vocal enters.
The thinness and frailty is what I like about Mick's vocals. It's a great contrast to Joe and we know what happened when Mick was sacked and they got some "proper" vocalists in. .
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 1:55pm
matedog wrote:
09 Apr 2019, 1:40pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

The thinness and frailty is what I like about Mick's vocals. It's a great contrast to Joe and we know what happened when Mick was sacked and they got some "proper" vocalists in. .
Yes I was just going to post that. It is the fragility or vulnerability of Mick’s voice that gives it the song the realism.