Post by WestwayKid »

Moving on: Something About England
Voted off: The Magnificent Seven
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: ROUND 6 - Sandinista! - Two

Post by Flex »

I thought to myself: oh, this is easy, let's kill off the dub since it's right after the original. Then I thought, on there's the subpar Mose Allison cover right there. THEN I remembered The Crooked Beat was on this side and the choice became clear.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Look Here is the loser on this side.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Love me all these songs. Going to vote off the dub to avoid having to make a real choice.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 1:59pm
Love me all these songs. Going to vote off the dub to avoid having to make a real choice.
yeah, i actually enjoy all of them in some form or another, but there are three that have pretty compelling arguments to make against them, I think.

Mostly, picking through these songs reminds me I only have a real objection to a very small handful outside of Cut the Crap, which this exercise reminded me how not very good most of it really is, IMCT Irony aside.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 2:02pm
matedog wrote:
yeah, i actually enjoy all of them in some form or another, but there are three that have pretty compelling arguments to make against them, I think.

Mostly, picking through these songs reminds me I only have a real objection to a very small handful outside of Cut the Crap, which this exercise reminded me how not very good most of it really is, IMCT Irony aside.
I went with Look Here, which is just subpar enough as a cover that it overcomes my ironic appreciation for Crooked Beat. One More Time should have this in a walk. Should doesn’t mean will, mind you. SGM is good enough to take it if everyone forgets how amazing OMT is.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Wolter wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 2:25pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

I went with Look Here, which is just subpar enough as a cover that it overcomes my ironic appreciation for Crooked Beat. One More Time should have this in a walk. Should doesn’t mean will, mind you. SGM is good enough to take it if everyone forgets how amazing OMT is.
"Watch when Watts Town burns again" is so powerful, not only in its incendiary message but the uncoiling tension of its euphonic poetry means the syllables hammer you like clumps of falling broken glass. Sing the words out loud, I swear to God, your body hums.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 2:25pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:

One More Time slays it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 1:43pm
I thought to myself: oh, this is easy, let's kill off the dub since it's right after the original. Then I thought, on there's the subpar Mose Allison cover right there. THEN I remembered The Crooked Beat was on this side and the choice became clear.
There is nothing subpar about the playing on Look Here it's brilliantly played. It's a really solid cover but it isn't very Clash. I'm certain that the reason it's disliked is simply because it's a jazz track.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 4:31pm
Flex wrote:
There is nothing subpar about the playing on Look Here it's brilliantly played. It's a really solid cover but it isn't very Clash. I'm certain that the reason it's disliked is simply because it's a jazz track.
The playing is fine. The vocals are dire.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 4:32pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
The playing is fine. The vocals are dire.
Not for me I think they are great. It helps for me already being a Mose fan. The Clash covering Mose was in the great tradition of rock 'n' roll and following on from The Who.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Agreed.

I'm not a jazz fan at all which will probably why it doesn't float my boat.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex

Post by Flex »

Marky Dread wrote:
I'm a Mose fan; agreed with Maj, the vocal take does it in. No complaint about the lads giving it a shot, and I'd never skip over it, but it's not up to snuff.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 4:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I'm a Mose fan; agreed with Maj, the vocal take does it in. No complaint about the lads giving it a shot, and I'd never skip over it, but it's not up to snuff.
What is it about the vocal you dislike because I don't hear anything bad.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 4:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Yeah. It’s not actively bad. Just not a great vocal take or a particularly suitable choice for them to play, but it’s a fair effort. It’s not absolutely dire like ELBH.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"