Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: ROUND 10 - Sandinista! - Side Two

Post by Wolter »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 4:32pm
Flex wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 4:28pm
In the event of a tie in the head-to-head matchup, both advance, right? That would be pretty fitting for these two tracks.
Good question. In the past - we've voted off both songs - but I don't think we can do that because the winner advances to the semi. Any suggestions? I'd be all for both advancing. We can have up to 10 songs per poll - so even if both of these advances - the Sandinista! semi would only have 7 songs.
I think both should advance. It's absolutely absurd for the two most popular on a side to disappear with a whimper instead of moving on to the next round.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 4:32pm
Flex wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 4:28pm
In the event of a tie in the head-to-head matchup, both advance, right? That would be pretty fitting for these two tracks.
Good question. In the past - we've voted off both songs - but I don't think we can do that because the winner advances to the semi. Any suggestions? I'd be all for both advancing. We can have up to 10 songs per poll - so even if both of these advances - the Sandinista! semi would only have 7 songs.
Definitely both advance, has to be a top number from each side, even if it ends up being 2. They are the 2 best on the side and should be advanced in the event of a tie.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 4:29pm
Both are great but OMT loses since the chord progression is the same throughout.
Hang on, sometimes a repetitive chord progression suits a song, especially with reggae. How can the number of chords be a deciding factor? If that were the case, Rush would be really good.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 4:53pm
matedog wrote:
Both are great but OMT loses since the chord progression is the same throughout.
Hang on, sometimes a repetitive chord progression suits a song, especially with reggae. How can the number of chords be a deciding factor? If that were the case, Rush would be really good.
They're not bad to be fair.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I voted off SGM. Great song but I think the production is a bit wimpy, even for a Mick song. The Amsterdam version shows how it could have been done.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

SGM is the winner by a hair for me. Love the chord progression, and the outro when Topper takes it to another level.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Eh, it’s inherently less interesting.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
15 Apr 2019, 7:33pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Eh, it’s inherently less interesting.
No.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"