Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:19pm
Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:06pm
Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 9:23pm
CO is the Clash distilled, superb. What the fuck is going on?
Moaning about Career Opportunities when your in a band going places. You've got a job your one of the lucky ones you managed to escape the system. While the rest of us can only dream. Never got the love CO to be honest. Much better tracks on the debut. Remote Control eats it for breakfast.
Have to disagree because they had shit jobs (Joe grave digging, Mick civil service), and surely they are allowed to write from experience? Career Opps is similar to London's Burning for me in that it is an iconic Clash song, but unlike LB it has a great tune.
I don't remember any lyrics in CO that mention grave digging. Making tea for the BBC and the overblown nonsense of Mick opening a letter bomb sure. Yes the IRA were releasing letter bombs at the time but Mick wasn't at any more risk than someone working for the GPO. The only job they offer you is to keep you out the doc is a shit line also. Cause you know you only cause trouble when you haven't got a job.
Well it's all artistic licence to me really. I just enjoy the driving beat mainly and the great lines about prescriptions and the like
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: ROUND 11 - The Clash - Side Two

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 9:23pm
CO is the Clash distilled, superb. What the fuck is going on?
Moaning about Career Opportunities when your in a band going places. You've got a job your one of the lucky ones you managed to escape the system. While the rest of us can only dream. Never got the love CO to be honest. Much better tracks on the debut. Remote Control eats it for breakfast.
Have to disagree because they had shit jobs (Joe grave digging, Mick civil service), and surely they are allowed to write from experience? Career Opps is similar to London's Burning for me in that it is an iconic Clash song, but unlike LB it has a great tune.
I don't remember any lyrics in CO that mention grave digging. Making tea for the BBC and the overblown nonsense of Mick opening a letter bomb sure. Yes the IRA were releasing letter bombs at the time but Mick wasn't at any more risk than someone working for the GPO. The only job they offer you is to keep you out the doc is a shit line also. Cause you know you only cause trouble when you haven't got a job.
Well it's all artistic licence to me really. I just enjoy the driving beat mainly and the great lines about prescriptions and the like
"If they wanna get me well I've got no choice". They never knock except if you're in a rock n roll band. Who exactly are they singing about here. Us or them. This song doesn't make me feel the were all in together vibe. It's a great tune but lyrically suspect.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:34pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

"If they wanna get me well I've got no choice". They never knock except if you're in a rock n roll band. Who exactly are they singing about here. Us or them. This song doesn't make me feel the were all in it together vibe. It's a great tune but lyrically suspect.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I voted to keep Garageland. 😎

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

"If they wanna get me well I've got no choice". They never knock except if you're in a rock n roll band. Who exactly are they singing about here. Us or them. This song doesn't make me feel the were all in together vibe. It's a great tune but lyrically suspect.
We're back to the "Daddy was a Bankrobber" artistic licence stuff again.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Not really the same thing to be fair I can't imagine anyone believing Joe's dad was a bankrobber. Whereas you've already mentioned they drew inspiration for CO' s lyrics from experience.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:44pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Not really the same thing to be fair I can't imagine anyone believing Joe's dad was a bankrobber. Whereas you've already mentioned they drew inspiration for CO' s lyrics from experience.
Can't it be both!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 11:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:44pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Can't it be both!
No this The Clash.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Was the song written when the band was already going places? It's not like they were raking in the dough, and the thought of having to get a job to survive must have at least been very fresh in the memory. Either way, I read it as a call to arms for all of us to hate working, not just as the personal opinion of the band members.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 12:57pm
Was the song written when the band was already going places? It's not like they were raking in the dough, and the thought of having to get a job to survive must have at least been very fresh in the memory. Either way, I read it as a call to arms for all of us to hate working, not just as the personal opinion of the band members.
Yeah.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Again, tho, Joe writes like a folky, about "our" problems. He's someone writing for his audience, their perspective. It may be drawn from personal experience, but it's a collective perspective. Arguably, one of the reasons why the Clash succeeded and endure is that perspective of inclusivity in the lyrics. He's not a confessional lyricist, so attacking his lyrics with his biography is unwarranted.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

You fools. You foolish fools. I like Garageland, but Career Opportunities is orders of magnitude better.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:36pm
I voted to keep Garageland. 😎
Inder knows. :cool:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 12:57pm
Umm well Joe was a squatter and work wasn't really his game as such. Can't get behind this ''I read it as a call to arms for all of us to hate working''. Not everyone has a shitty job and the rest have little choice. Besides I don't exactly need The Clash to tell me to hate work. When the song was written isn't really the issue as I'm sure they had more coins in their pockets than you and I when they were still playing it at Shea Stadium.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Career Ops is faster. Voting off G-Land.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.