Unknown Immortal

Re: ROUND 11 - Cut the Crap - Side Two

Post by BitterTom »

TCT to win please.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Was a bit sad to see N&S go. After finishing Ralph's book on Mark II, that song had newly resonated with me. That said, 3CT to win it.

LET'S SLAY THE TIE DRAGON
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Voted for TIE as it has been speeded up - check Matey's normalised version to see how much better it would have been at normal speed!
Joining the Street Parade

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

deny wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 4:11pm
Voted for TIE as it has been speeded up - check Matey's normalised version to see how much better it would have been at normal speed!
Not speeded up but pitch shifted on the vocal.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

TIE is the third best song on the album. Let’s slay that dragon!
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 5:29pm
deny wrote:
Sorry mate but the whole track was sped up, you can tell as it's in between keys.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 9:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
deny wrote:
Sorry mate but the whole track was sped up, you can tell as it's in between keys.
How can you tell with those drums and that guitar sound? I thought the version matedog posted he said it was pitch shifted. I didn't realise he meant the whole track. So it's varispeeded not pitch shifted?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 9:39pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
deny wrote:
How can you tell with those drums and that guitar sound? I thought the version matedog posted he said it was pitch shifted.
If it was just the vocal sped up it would still be in a definite key. The fact that the song is in between keys heavily suggests the whole thing was sped up. When you have a synth on a track it will naturally be in concert pitch unless it has been vari-speeded on the dial.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 9:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
deny wrote:
How can you tell with those drums and that guitar sound? I thought the version matedog posted he said it was pitch shifted.
If it was just the vocal sped up it would still be in a definite key. The fact that the song is in between keys heavily suggests the whole thing was sped up. When you have a synth on a track it will naturally be in concert pitch unless it has been vari-speeded on the dial.
Yeah that all makes sense. I was certain i read that the version matey put up on YouTube was pitch shifted. Maybe he just used that expression to mean speed adjustment. In your opinion by what percentage do you think it's sped up. The thing that I always found strange was the young girls voice at the start selling tea towels etc. Joe's voice just seemed normal but there are times over the years where his voice has that chipmunk feel to it a strange inflection. The GEER demos ran way too fast but even slowed down to something resembling the correct speed Joe still has that odd sound to his voice.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 9:51pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah that all makes sense. I was certain i read that the version matey put up on YouTube was pitch shifted. Maybe he just used that expression to mean speed adjustment. In your opinion by what percentage do you think it's sped up. The thing that I always found strange was the young girls voice at the start selling tea towels etc. Joe's voice just seemed normal but there are times over the years where his voice has that chipmunk feel to it a strange inflection. The GEER demos ran way too fast but even slowed down to something resembling the correct speed Joe still has that odd sound to his voice.
Matey will probably explain better but I think he adjusted the pitch of the vocal whilst keeping the speed of the song the same. It was basically using modern technology to achieve Bernie's vision of the song without compromising Joe's vocal..

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Matey will probably explain better but I think he adjusted the pitch of the vocal whilst keeping the speed of the song the same. It was basically using modern technology to achieve Bernie's vision of the song without compromising Joe's vocal..
So therefore mateys version still runs at the wrong speed?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:08pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It's hard to explain but I think he pitch adjusted the whole song, putting it back to as it was originally recorded. He then used digital technology to speed it up without adjusting the pitch, therefore satisfying Bernie's vision for the song without chipmunking the vocals. Does that make sense?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

It's hard to explain but I think he pitch adjusted the whole song, putting it back to as it was originally recorded. He then used digital technology to speed it up without adjusting the pitch, therefore satisfying Bernie's vision for the song without chipmunking the vocals. Does that make sense?
Umm not really mate. It runs too fast or it doesnt. I dont know how you pitch shift the whole song without slowing down or speeding up everything. He slowed it down to what is considered it's correct speed then miraculously sped it up without making it faster. Surely the only way this could occurs is if you had an isolated vocal take and the instrumental backing as another separate track. To my knowledge they dont exist.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:27pm
Heston wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 10:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Umm not really mate. It runs too fast or it doesnt. I dont know how you pitch shift the whole song without slowing down or speeding up everything. He slowed it down to what is considered it's correct speed then miraculously sped it up without making it faster. Surely the only way this could occurs is if you had an isolated vocal take and the instrumental backing as another separate track. To my knowledge they dont exist.
Imagine Bernie with the song in its originally recorded state. He wants it to be a bit faster so he speeds the tape up, giving Joe the chipmunk sound. Now imagine Matey with the song in its originally recorded state and he speeds it up digitally, which doesn't affect pitch. That is the difference. Andrew may correct me.