14%

Total votes: 22

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: ROUND 12 - Cut the Crap - Semi

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:10pm
If anyone is purposely voting for Three Card Trick to go, I'd love to hear your insane explanation.
They're not as far apart as you imply. I think Movers and Shakers is a really great tune, those lyrics are just too suspect though. Sounds like a Tory manifesto in places.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:25pm
Heston wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:23pm
Silent Majority wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:17pm
Silent Majority wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:10pm
If anyone is purposely voting for Three Card Trick to go, I'd love to hear your insane explanation.
They're both shitty songs so I flipped a coin. Besides, whichever one "won" would have the distinction of being the first to get the axe in the finals.
I'll defend Three Card Trick as a pretty great Joe Strummer song. Better than nearly all of Earthquake Weather.
All of it.
Yeah. Another look at that tracklist later, it easily is. Strummer would catch fire lyrically again in time for Upping St.
I really don't know how Clash fans can dismiss this song so easily. Yeah, the drum machine is a bit shit but this was 1985 and most of them forgave BAD.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Patriots of the wasteland torching two hundred years
Dragging my spirit back into the dungeon again
Bring back crucification cry the moral death's head legion
Using steel nails manufactured by the slaves in Asia
You won't fall for that law and order is a baton in the rib
You won't fall for that just like your mummy and your daddy did
Blood inside a fountain pen wrote you out of life again
Who knows any better than to kick and scratch under English weather
From a chain gang to the mill.
The mill that sits on top of the hill
The fog drowned towns arr gonna have to fade
The wrong side of the a scissor blade
I'll eat my hat I'm gonna be sick
They own the pack while we play the three card trick
Don't you remember the place
Where we hid the ace?
Yeah not thick but slick
Now we all gotta play the three card trick
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:31pm
Patriots of the wasteland torching two hundred years
Dragging my spirit back into the dungeon again
Bring back crucification cry the moral death's head legion
Using steel nails manufactured by the slaves in Asia
Blood inside a fountain pen wrote you out of life again
Who knows any better than to kick and scratch under English weather
From a chain gang to the mill.
The mill that sits on top of the hill
The fog drowned towns arr gonna have to fade
The wrong side of the a scissor blade
I'll eat my hat I'm gonna be sick
They own the pack while we play the three card trick
Don't you remember the place
Where we hid the ace?
Yeah not thick but slick
Now we all gotta play the three card trick
Still as relevant today, sadly.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The efforts to find good in CTC is both admirable and loopy as hell. It just sustains Bernie's delusion of redemption.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:33pm
The efforts to find good in CTC is both admirable and loopy as hell. It just sustains Bernie's delusion of redemption.
Three Card Trick has great lyrics (inspired by vital contemporary culture) a cool, catchy ska tune, and the least objectionable production on the album. Yes, that last is only a tallish baby, but I'll stand up for it as a good Joe song.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

They're both shitty songs so I flipped a coin. Besides, whichever one "won" would have the distinction of being the first to get the axe in the finals.
I'll defend Three Card Trick as a pretty great Joe Strummer song. Better than nearly all of Earthquake Weather.
All of it.
Yeah. Another look at that tracklist later, it easily is. Strummer would catch fire lyrically again in time for Upping St.
I really don't know how Clash fans can dismiss this song so easily. Yeah, the drum machine is a bit shit but this was 1985 and most of them forgave BAD.
Three Card trick is an objectively good song that manages to almost transcend the production into great. It was also fun live and I have no idea why anyone would lump it in with dreck like Dictator and Fingerpoppin’
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:39pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

All of it.
Three Card trick is an objectively good song that manages to almost transcend the production into great. It was also fun live and I have no idea why anyone would lump it in with dreck like Dictator and Fingerpoppin’
But...but...the only good song on Cut the Crap was This Is England.

Joe would be turning in his grave.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:49pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:

All of it.

I have never been prouder of this board than when it put TIE in the correct third place.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 7:01pm
Heston wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 6:49pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

I have never been prouder of this board than when it put TIE in the correct third place.
It's strange but I've never seen Movers and Shakers get any traction on this board before, its place in the final seems to have come out of nowhere. Or maybe it was a product of random voting by the disinterested.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 7:19pm
It's strange but I've never seen Movers and Shakers get any traction on this board before, its place in the final seems to have come out of nowhere. Or maybe it was a product of random voting by the disinterested.
Tallest midget syndrome on side one, which is a lot patchier than the mostly pretty strong side two. For my part, I think I probably preferred We Are The Clash or Dirty Punk, but Movers and Shakers ain't terrible.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

All of it.
There was nothing to forgive BAD for. They were not remotely trying to be The Clash. Whereas The Clash using a drum machine instead of the very competent drummer they had was inexcusable. The track is good and worked well live in the rockier form and works well with the ska feel on the album but that drum sound is and always will be shite.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 7:44pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

All of it.
There was nothing to forgive BAD for. They were not remotely trying to be The Clash. Whereas The Clash using a drum machine instead of the very competent drummer they had was inexcusable. The track is good and worked well live in the rockier form and works well with the ska feel on the album but that drum sound is and always will be shite.
Yeah mate, was just making a point about narrow-minded people. My post even mentions that the drum machine was shit, so agree with you there!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 7:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 7:44pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:

All of it.
Yeah mate, was just making a point about narrow-minded people. My post even mentions that the drum machine was shit, so agree with you there!
The only reason I ever defend CtC is because of what it could've been and not what it is. I hate the production if you can even call it that and the mix is so subpar for a premiere band it's simply laughable. But you can hear there's still something there. They really should of gone back in and rerecorded it their way. This would've been possible but no they let fucking Bernie win.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 7:57pm
the mix is so subpar for a premiere band it's simply laughable
I still suspect sabotage!