Re: ROUND 15 - Sandinista! - Side Three

Post by msza2 »

matedog wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 2:03pm
Heston wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 2:05am
Flex wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 1:10am
Surprised and concerned Corner Soul was voted off. Sticking with the Let's Go Crazy vote.
Surprised and concerned? I'm fucking livid!
Likewise. Also distressed about Crazy being on the chopping block! It’s the spiritual cousin to Rudie but with a more inventive drum part.
Right I was thinking along the same lines -- LGC and Bullets are the spiritual successors to the ska tracks on LC.

I'm glad to see both of them have strong showings in these polls and was hoping they'd both win their sides.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Inder wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 1:13pm
Counterpoint:
The lawful force are here of course
For special offenders for the special court
But the young men know when the sun has set
Darkness comes to settle the debt
Owed by a year of S.U.S. and suspect
Indiscriminate use of the power of arrest
They're waiting for the sun to set
Brilliant description of the carnival. At about 8pm all sound systems are supposed to close down. They don’t of course and then the fun and games start. The Police are told to go and shut them down and the crowd know that is going to happen. As the Police start moving through the route shutting them down the crowd moves in to the next one gradually increasing in size until they get to Westbourne Park Road and All Saints Road.
That is when it all kicks off in retaliation to the misuse of the SUS law by local Police.
As it is a bank holiday weekend the court doesn’t open except for a special court for those arrested and held in custody at the carnival.

It is White Riot part 2 and a slice of Clash bio like London’s Burning etc..

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Inder wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 1:17pm
Speaking of Up in Heaven, I saw a listing for a flat for sale in the Trellick Tower -- £800k!
Seriously?
Amazing views and some large flats up there especially when compared to ‘luxury apartments’ but it is still Trellick Tower.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Sorry but as much as I rate Let's Go Crazy, it can't hold a torch to Rudie Can't Fail. I'm still depressed by Corner Soul getting voted out., I will never trust this board again.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
21 Apr 2019, 9:57pm
Sorry but as much as I rate Let's Go Crazy, it can't hold a torch to Rudie Can't Fail. I'm still depressed by Corner Soul getting voted out., I will never trust this board again.
I don’t rate it as highly as Rudie of course, but it has a similar vibrancy and urgency.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
I’d be very surprised if anyone rated it that highly.
It is a solid Chsmpionship team not chasing Champions League qualification in the Premier League.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

101Walterton wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 2:05am
Heston wrote:
It is a solid Chsmpionship team not chasing Champions League qualification in the Premier League.
It's not Rudie, but it's not far behind IMO. I'd probably place it around my top 10-15. It's very unique. There's an alternate universe out there where it was a foundational song to a punk-soca subgenre in the same way their ska tunes cleared the way for ska-punk.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

msza2 wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 1:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
It's not Rudie, but it's not far behind IMO. I'd probably place it around my top 10-15. It's very unique. There's an alternate universe out there where it was a foundational song to a punk-soca subgenre in the same way their ska tunes cleared the way for ska-punk.
It's in my top 10 easily. I have dreams about punk-soca and wish it existed.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:22pm
msza2 wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 1:25pm
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
It's in my top 10 easily. I have dreams about punk-soca and wish it existed.
Me too.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia