ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Poll ended at 23 Apr 2019, 1:20pm

The Call Up
14
56%
Washington Bullets
11
44%
 
Total votes: 25

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by WestwayKid »

Voted off: Police on My Back
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29087
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by Flex »

Hmmm... gonna have to come back to this one. Both excellent. Lyrically The Call Up is better but I do prefer the tune on Washington Bullets. Tough one.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 1:41pm
Hmmm... gonna have to come back to this one. Both excellent. Lyrically The Call Up is better but I do prefer the tune on Washington Bullets. Tough one.
Indeed.
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88691
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by Dr. Medulla »

As I said the other day, both are fine songs and worthy winners—a tie would be just—but I give the edge to TCU because its pacifist range is wider, more universal, than WB's criticism of America's imperialism in Latin America. I also don't accept the criticism that TCU shouldn't have been a single. C'mon, it gave the subject matter a wider audience at a time when nuclear tensions with the Soviet Union were at their highest since the Cuban Missile Crisis. It ain't all about poppy aesthetics—sometimes it's because people should hear what is being said.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29087
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by Flex »

Eh, didn't take as long as I thought. Haven't become less of a Dead Kennedys fan in the last couple weeks so I'm not NOT going to vote for the tuneless hectoring (and vote out Washington Bullets).
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15793
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by Silent Majority »

Here's my one red line - I will not accept Washington Bullets being voted off.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88691
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 1:57pm
Here's my one red line - I will not accept Washington Bullets being voted off.
Nice to see you admit that you're a Truman-loving nuke junkie. Google Hiroshima, you dirty fascist.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4171
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by BitterTom »

Difficult because voting for a great song like The Call Up is tricky.

Not difficult because Washington Bullets is fucking exceptional.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53363
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by Wolter »

I’m gonna keep thinking for a bit.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12210
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by Kory »

I voted to oust WB in this very difficult poll because Joe was mostly unable to pull it off live.
WWK: I feel confident we haven't heard the last from Dr. Harvey Camel.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53363
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:21pm
I voted to oust WB in this very difficult poll because Joe was mostly unable to pull it off live.
By that logic, y’all need to put Let’s Go Crazy into a freshly dug grave.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53363
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by Wolter »

Let the record show that though I ultimately voted to oust the Call Up, I disagree vehemently with people that call it boring.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 21882
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:37pm
Let the record show that though I ultimately voted to oust the Call Up, I disagree vehemently with people that call it boring.
Call Up, boring. Got it.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 21882
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:21pm
I voted to oust WB in this very difficult poll because Joe was mostly unable to pull it off live.
Yeah, I didn't think we were taking into account live versions in these polls.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53363
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Four

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:41pm
Kory wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:21pm
I voted to oust WB in this very difficult poll because Joe was mostly unable to pull it off live.
Yeah, I didn't think we were taking into account live versions in these polls.
I’m not. My very favorite Clash live moment is the last minute or so of Clampdown at Shibuya, but I just voted Clampdown off because the studio version isn’t nearly as transcendent.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Post Reply