matedog wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:43pm
BitterTom wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:14pm
Wolter wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 2:55pm
BitterTom wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 2:31pm

Agree very much with sentence 1. Not so much sentence 2.
We get it, you’re trying to topple Heston and Hoy from the bad taste mountain
Nope, I'm really not that sad. Just stating an opinion that I don't like a certain song. On the subject though, Heston seems to have a decent taste in music, Hoy I need to know more about.
Let me tell you about Warrant's underrated post-grunge period...
The mountain's all yours.
I only mean post-grunge in terms of it coming out after the grunge explosion, not the "post-grunge" genre, but Warrant's 1992 album Dog Eat Dog is criminally underrated. A continued stylistic evolution from their party boy Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich glam metal days through the more stylistically diverse yet hugely commercial Cherry Pie, Dog Eat Dog sees the band tackling climate change ("April 2031"), fame ("Andy Warhol Was Right"), and other more serious topics. The stand outs are the brutal "Inside Out", the sweet "Sad Theresa", and the epic "Quicksand." The singles "Machine Gun" and "Hole In My Wall" never did much for me and it seemed like them trying too hard to hang with the heavier grunge and metal that was becoming en vogue. Skip those and bask in some of those glorious Joey Allen pinch harmonics on like every solo. Steven Sweet's always phenomenal drumming also shines.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: ROUND 16 - Sandinista! - Side Five

Post by BitterTom »

matedog wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:52pm
BitterTom wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:45pm
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Nope, I'm really not that sad. Just stating an opinion that I don't like a certain song. On the subject though, Heston seems to have a decent taste in music, Hoy I need to know more about.
I only mean post-grunge in terms of it coming out after the grunge explosion, not the "post-grunge" genre, but Warrant's 1992 album Dog Eat Dog is criminally underrated. A continued stylistic evolution from their party boy Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich glam metal days through the more stylistically diverse yet hugely commercial Cherry Pie, Dog Eat Dog sees the band tackling climate change ("April 2031"), fame ("Andy Warhol Was Right"), and other more serious topics. The stand outs are the brutal "Inside Out", the sweet "Sad Theresa", and the epic "Quicksand." The singles "Machine Gun" and "Hole In My Wall" never did much for me and it seemed like them trying too hard to hang with the heavier grunge and metal that was becoming en vogue. Skip those and bask in some of those glorious Joey Allen pinch harmonics on like every solo. Steven Sweet's always phenomenal drumming also shines.
Can't judge if I haven't heard it to be fair. Dog Eat Dog on the list for work tomorrow, will give an honest listen and opinion.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

This is the correct response.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BitterTom wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 3:55pm
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

Can't judge if I haven't heard it to be fair. Dog Eat Dog on the list for work tomorrow, will give an honest listen and opinion.
Oh god, I wasn't serious. I mean I am, but I'm not seriously recommending you listen to Warrant's third album and try to take it seriously.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

matedog wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 4:05pm
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:

Oh god, I wasn't serious. I mean I am, but I'm not seriously recommending you listen to Warrant's third album and try to take it seriously.
I'm confused to hell.

Edit: I've put The Bitter Pill on and it sounds ok, I'll give it a go.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BitterTom wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 4:11pm
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I'm confused to hell.

There's stuff I like and am happy to embrace, but would not try to get anyone else into. This falls into that category.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

matedog wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 4:13pm
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:

I'm confused to hell.

There's stuff I like and am happy to embrace, but would not try to get anyone else into. This falls into that category.
I'll genuinely listen to anything from George Formby to George Ezra, give me your best 3 from the album, I'll listen to it all though.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

I'm confused to hell.

lol this is wonderful.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Love the Street Parade but it has to go.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Kory wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 4:37pm
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
matedog wrote:

I'm confused to hell.

lol this is wonderful.
Ok so it's simply taking the piss out of me then? Ok fair enough but let's leave it there.

CDS to win S!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
Wolter wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 2:25pm
Charlie Don't Surf is an exceptional song. Street Parade is a very good song - but not on the same level.
Depends if you dig Phil Collins! :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Charlie Don't Surf is an exceptional song. Street Parade is a very good song - but not on the same level.
I gave it a fresh listen and it's one of those tracks I've probably underappreciated. It's really pretty good. The chorus is good, but the production is a bit lacking.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
22 Apr 2019, 5:33pm
BitterTom wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I gave it a fresh listen and it's one of those tracks I've probably underappreciated. It's really pretty good. The chorus is good, but the production is a bit lacking.
It was after listening to the Japan live boots that I really appreciated how great a song it is.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I thought Mick's favorite song was Sean Flynn?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc