A thought...

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

A thought...

Post by WestwayKid »

I wonder if Mick & Joe ever thought their Clash legacy would be reduced to a "survivor" poll... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

msza2
Sightsee MC
Posts: 299
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: A thought...

Post by msza2 »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 1:55pm
I wonder if Mick & Joe ever thought their Clash legacy would be reduced to a "survivor" poll... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think they'd be curious about the result!

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4171
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: A thought...

Post by BitterTom »

As long as The Street Parade got far, Mick would be content.

WM Joe's choice?

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: A thought...

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:14pm
As long as The Street Parade got far, Mick would be content.

WM Joe's choice?
I believe it was played at his funeral...so good guess.

Neither song made it to the final, however!?
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

msza2
Sightsee MC
Posts: 299
Joined: 22 Aug 2012, 2:15pm

Re: A thought...

Post by msza2 »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:22pm
BitterTom wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:14pm
As long as The Street Parade got far, Mick would be content.

WM Joe's choice?
I believe it was played at his funeral...so good guess.

Neither song made it to the final, however!?
Has Mick said SP is his favorite Clash song, or just that he rates it highly?

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33347
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: A thought...

Post by Heston »

msza2 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:23pm
WestwayKid wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:22pm
BitterTom wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:14pm
As long as The Street Parade got far, Mick would be content.

WM Joe's choice?
I believe it was played at his funeral...so good guess.

Neither song made it to the final, however!?
Has Mick said SP is his favorite Clash song, or just that he rates it highly?
I've heard Mick say Complete Control (in person to me) and also Sean Flynn in an interview, never SP.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4171
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: A thought...

Post by BitterTom »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:22pm
BitterTom wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:14pm
As long as The Street Parade got far, Mick would be content.

WM Joe's choice?
I believe it was played at his funeral...so good guess.

Neither song made it to the final, however!?
I never knew that actually.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46129
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: A thought...

Post by Marky Dread »

Mensforth Hill is a lonely place.
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33347
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: A thought...

Post by Heston »

msza2 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:03pm
WestwayKid wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 1:55pm
I wonder if Mick & Joe ever thought their Clash legacy would be reduced to a "survivor" poll... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think they'd be curious about the result!
Definitely. I think any artist would be at least be mildly interested to see the dissection of their work by their fans.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
User avatar
corecore vanguard
Posts: 9606
Joined: 14 Jun 2008, 3:28pm

Re: A thought...

Post by Inder »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:30pm
Mensforth Hill is a lonely place.
Where/what is Mensforth Hill? TV reference?

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15793
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: A thought...

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:37pm
msza2 wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:03pm
WestwayKid wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 1:55pm
I wonder if Mick & Joe ever thought their Clash legacy would be reduced to a "survivor" poll... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think they'd be curious about the result!
Definitely. I think any artist would be at least be mildly interested to see the dissection of their work by their fans.
I'd be delighted to learn people were raking over anything I've done over the last few years in 2059.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33347
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: A thought...

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:30pm
Mensforth Hill is a lonely place.
Where/what is Mensforth Hill? TV reference?
I actually have some inside info on this. I was talking to Mensi from the Angelic Upstarts (real name Thomas Mensforth), and asked him about this track. He claimed it was named after him. He expanded by saying he went down to see them during the recording of Sandinista (he was good friends with Joe apparently) and they recorded him chatting in the studio with them and added it to the song, obviously cloaked in effects. I think the title is a possibly a play on the Mendip Hills in the UK.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15793
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: A thought...

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:56pm
Inder wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:30pm
Mensforth Hill is a lonely place.
Where/what is Mensforth Hill? TV reference?
I actually have some inside info on this. I was talking to Mensi from the Angelic Upstarts (real name Thomas Mensforth), and asked him about this track. He claimed it was named after him. He expanded by saying he went down to see them during the recording of Sandinista (he was good friends with Joe apparently) and they recorded him chatting in the studio with them and added it to the song, obviously cloaked in effects. I think the title is a possibly a play on the Mendip Hills in the UK.
Amazing info.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33347
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: A thought...

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:58pm
Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:56pm
Inder wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:30pm
Mensforth Hill is a lonely place.
Where/what is Mensforth Hill? TV reference?
I actually have some inside info on this. I was talking to Mensi from the Angelic Upstarts (real name Thomas Mensforth), and asked him about this track. He claimed it was named after him. He expanded by saying he went down to see them during the recording of Sandinista (he was good friends with Joe apparently) and they recorded him chatting in the studio with them and added it to the song, obviously cloaked in effects. I think the title is a possibly a play on the Mendip Hills in the UK.
Amazing info.
I can't verify it as being true but it seems plausible.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15793
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: A thought...

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 7:00pm
Silent Majority wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:58pm
Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:56pm
Inder wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:30pm
Mensforth Hill is a lonely place.
Where/what is Mensforth Hill? TV reference?
I actually have some inside info on this. I was talking to Mensi from the Angelic Upstarts (real name Thomas Mensforth), and asked him about this track. He claimed it was named after him. He expanded by saying he went down to see them during the recording of Sandinista (he was good friends with Joe apparently) and they recorded him chatting in the studio with them and added it to the song, obviously cloaked in effects. I think the title is a possibly a play on the Mendip Hills in the UK.
Amazing info.
I can't verify it as being true but it seems plausible.
Yeah - rings true.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Post Reply