Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 7:00pm
Silent Majority wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:58pm
Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:56pm
Inder wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 6:43pm

Where/what is Mensforth Hill? TV reference?
I actually have some inside info on this. I was talking to Mensi from the Angelic Upstarts (real name Thomas Mensforth), and asked him about this track. He claimed it was named after him. He expanded by saying he went down to see them during the recording of Sandinista (he was good friends with Joe apparently) and they recorded him chatting in the studio with them and added it to the song, obviously cloaked in effects. I think the title is a possibly a play on the Mendip Hills in the UK.
Amazing info.
I can't verify it as being true but it seems plausible.
Yeah - rings true.
The fact there is no such place as Mensforth Hill gives it the ring of truth. And Mensforth is an uncommon name. On the liner notes to Sandinista it says something about it being the theme to a forthcoming serial, but that sounds like deliberate Clash subterfuge.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: A thought...

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Inder wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 2:30pm
Mensforth Hill is a lonely place.
I actually have some inside info on this. I was talking to Mensi from the Angelic Upstarts (real name Thomas Mensforth), and asked him about this track. He claimed it was named after him. He expanded by saying he went down to see them during the recording of Sandinista (he was good friends with Joe apparently) and they recorded him chatting in the studio with them and added it to the song, obviously cloaked in effects. I think the title is a possibly a play on the Mendip Hills in the UK.
It's true I've also heard this same story. I didn't know about the ''Mendip Hills'' bit but the rest is a play on Mensforth.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 7:10pm
Heston wrote:
Inder wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It's true I've also heard this same story. I didn't know about the ''Mendip Hills'' bit but the rest is a play on Mensforth.
Mendips are also the small dimples on your lower back just above the pelvis!
Not relevant but trivia fact.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I may be wrong about Mendip but I remember Marcus Gray mentioning in LGIT that the title was maybe a play on somewhere in England where they had a nuclear plant or some other sinister government installation. I just can't remember exactly the name he said.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 7:22pm
I may be wrong about Mendip but I remember Marcus Gray mentioning in LGIT that the title was maybe a play on somewhere in England where they had a nuclear plant or some other sinister government installation. I just can't remember exactly the name he said.
Hinkley Point C nuclear power station, Somerset, Mendip Hills. To cost around 20bn construction commenced December 2018. Wow that's spooky ''Mensforth Hill'' is just like Nostradamus.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I dare any of you, upon meeting MJ, to tell him Mensforth Hill changed your life like Flex did when he told Mike Love that Kokomo changed his life. :shifty:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:13am
I dare any of you, upon meeting MJ, to tell him Mensforth Hill changed your life like Flex did when he told Mike Love that Kokomo changed his life. :shifty:
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

JennyB wrote:
Still my greatest cultural achievement.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Heston wrote:
After much brain-wracking I remembered. Menwith Hill...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Menwith_Hill

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 10:00am
Heston wrote:

Reckon Melancholy Hill by the Gorillaz is playing on that?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:

Reckon Melancholy Hill by the Gorillaz is playing on that?
It would be possible on such an eco-themed album. Just reading up there on Menwith Hill, definitely a sinister government installation if there ever was one.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:55am
JennyB wrote:
Still *anyone's* greatest cultural achievement.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 9:55am
JennyB wrote:
Entry in resumé: Gave Mike Love an erection.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
I like the idea of going for something completely mediocre:
"Mick! Mick! I'm a huge fan of The Clash, I have all your BAD albums, when is Carbon Silicon putting out new material!? This is such an honor. I have to tell you, "Atom Tan" is my favorite song of all time. I got me through some really hard times."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

101Walterton wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 7:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Apr 2019, 7:10pm
Heston wrote:
Inder wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Mendips are also the small dimples on your lower back just above the pelvis!
Not relevant but trivia fact.
Mendips was also the name of Aunt Mimi's house. Also not relevant, but another bit of trivia.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble