19%
Complete Control
23%

Total votes: 26

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: THE FINAL - Round 4

Post by BitterTom »

Went with STH. 10 mins later it'll be completely different. Think my favourite here is SEH, be a shame if it heads out.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Very, very begrudgingly voted for Complete Control. SEH is better produced and the lyrics are maybe a bit better (CC is excellent in the mythos of the Clash, and its lyrics are more adaptable, but there's something a touch insular and esoteric about fights with your label about singles releases... maybe). Still, I love that song to death. These are the toughest of the tough votes.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
06 May 2019, 1:31pm
Very, very begrudgingly voted for Complete Control. SEH is better produced and the lyrics are maybe a bit better (CC is excellent in the mythos of the Clash, and its lyrics are more adaptable, but there's something a touch insular and esoteric about fights with your label about singles releases... maybe). Still, I love that song to death. These are the toughest of the tough votes.
That would be my next choice for that reason. You could stretch out the lyrics' value into something about the rights and autonomy of labour, and it's certainly a more mature take than the Pistols' "EMI," but based on the songs that are remaining, complaining about your record company does knock it down a bit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2019, 1:53pm
That would be my next choice for that reason. You could stretch out the lyrics' value into something about the rights and autonomy of labour, and it's certainly a more mature take than the Pistols' "EMI," but based on the songs that are remaining, complaining about your record company does knock it down a bit.
Yeah, you can definitely find a universality in it (there's a reason the title was my blogging masthead when I did such things!) but it takes a bit of reaching on the listener's part.

I think this may end up a Straight to Hell vs Rudie showdown which will be a really weird matchup.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 May 2019, 11:05am
Love SEH but it has to go. I can see some of the points about CC but it is still tremendous in its studio version.
CC Poorly produced just like (WM) i HP. Fucking Clash fans. :rolleyes:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
06 May 2019, 1:56pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah, you can definitely find a universality in it (there's a reason the title was my blogging masthead when I did such things!) but it takes a bit of reaching on the listener's part.

I think this may end up a Straight to Hell vs Rudie showdown which will be a really weird matchup.
In which case I would reluctantly vote out STH because RCF is more representative. It has Joe AND Mick vocals, energy, more than two parts, and a reference to the 19 bus.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
06 May 2019, 3:02pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

In which case I would reluctantly vote out STH because RCF is more representative. It has Joe AND Mick vocals, energy, more than two parts, and a reference to the 19 bus.
Yup, that's how I'd go, tho I'd probably stick with SEH if it made it that far (which it won't).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 May 2019, 3:06pm
Kory wrote:
06 May 2019, 3:02pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yup, that's how I'd go, tho I'd probably stick with SEH if it made it that far (which it won't).
There's still time!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Anyone expect Rudie to get this far and beyond?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
06 May 2019, 4:38pm
I did, and glad to see my three favourite Clash songs are still in with a shout.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
06 May 2019, 4:58pm
BitterTom wrote:
I did, and glad to see my three favourite Clash songs are still in with a shout.
Top 3 material for me, didn't realise it was that popular! Shame my other 2 are nowhere to be seen

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
06 May 2019, 5:09pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Top 3 material for me, didn't realise it was that popular! Shame my other 2 are nowhere to be seen
Just still a bit pissed off my number four track went out. I'll not tell you what is but send your answers on a SAE.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
06 May 2019, 5:21pm
BitterTom wrote:
06 May 2019, 5:09pm
Heston wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
Just still a bit pissed off my number four track went out. I'll not tell you what is but send your answers on a SAE.
Just think of my dissent when LITS and White Man went out.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BitterTom wrote:
It's great fun but again it's not as great as (White Man) in Hammersmith Palais.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
06 May 2019, 1:31pm
This a little understated (Greil Marcus talking about The Story of the Clash), but I've always liked it nonetheless:

Given the shape of the package, the numbers from side three - all from 1977-78, when punk was still an idea seeking its field - send a nearly incomprehensible message of disruption, despair, and fear. Even less explainable, now, is that at the heart of this side is a performance that as pure sound stands as the greatest rock 'n' roll performance ever made. Oddly, it's about the Clash's career, at least on a literal, lyric-sheet level: their label-sanctioned protest single about the same label committing the atrocity of releasing an earlier single without the band's permission. So what. Yet from this flimsy soapbox they fly to a dramatization of autonomy, community, personal identity, and social contestation, and with a few scattered slogans ("THIS MEANS YOU!") make those usually abstract notions as real, as dangerous, as any moment governed by love or money, hate or war. Across more than 10 years of listening to "Complete Control", one reaction has always come first: disbelief. Disbelief that mere human beings could create such a sound, and disbelief that the world could remain the same when it's over.