THE FINAL

THE FINAL

Poll ended at 09 May 2019, 2:10pm

Rudie Can't Fail
17
57%
Complete Control
13
43%
 
Total votes: 30

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 21877
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: THE FINAL

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
08 May 2019, 5:13pm
matedog wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:58pm
Kory wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:24pm
matedog wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:16pm
Kory wrote:
08 May 2019, 2:55pm
I hate to do it, but I had to vote CC. RCF is just too representative of the band as a whole, plus I love Jamaican music, plus it's one of the very few songs I know for a fact that Paul actually played on.
Why is that?
From that group of isolated tracks for the whole album up on YouTube.
What about the isolated track gave it away?
The fumbling mostly. If you compare it to Mick's obvious playing on LITS, plus what we know Paul sounds like live, it's fairly obvious.
Such a great bass part played so...not tight
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33314
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: THE FINAL

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
09 May 2019, 11:05am
Kory wrote:
08 May 2019, 5:13pm
matedog wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:58pm
Kory wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:24pm
matedog wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:16pm


Why is that?
From that group of isolated tracks for the whole album up on YouTube.
What about the isolated track gave it away?
The fumbling mostly. If you compare it to Mick's obvious playing on LITS, plus what we know Paul sounds like live, it's fairly obvious.
Such a great bass part played so...not tight
It all hangs together well in the song though, which is gloriously ramshackle. Maybe it would have lost its charm with Rush-style precision playing.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33314
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: THE FINAL

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2019, 10:51am
matedog wrote:
09 May 2019, 10:46am
Heston and his fake accounts again...
If so, the real shame is yours in getting out-hustled by a Geordie.
If I had fake accounts I wouldn't have lost 123 polls in a row since 2003.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88635
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: THE FINAL

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2019, 11:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2019, 10:51am
matedog wrote:
09 May 2019, 10:46am
Heston and his fake accounts again...
If so, the real shame is yours in getting out-hustled by a Geordie.
If I had fake accounts I wouldn't have lost 123 polls in a row since 2003.
Wouldn't you? :shifty:
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4161
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: THE FINAL

Post by BitterTom »

20 minutes to go and it's all but over for RCF it seems. Champagne poppin' at the ready!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46069
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: THE FINAL

Post by Marky Dread »

Rudie Can Fail. Just another Clash lie. We've all been had.
Image

WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3676
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: THE FINAL

Post by WestwayKid »

BitterTom wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:39pm
I've made it even again sorry. RCF is just too good compared to the production of CC. CC is obviously excellent but its sound is too small for the magnitude of the song. If it had the same power and feel as the FHTE version, this would be one of the easier polls, a clear winner. As it happens though RCF is pretty spot on, great sound and melody, you can almost feel the great time Joe and Mick were having. As I said last round, it's one of a very small list of songs that can raise my mood even at the shittest of times. A worthy winner in my eyes.

WestwayKid, thank you so much for organising this all, it's been fantastic!
Glad to do it - and thanks to everyone for the lively discussion. This was fun!!
"Geoff who takes kids camping is dead all the boys except Rusty are missing." - revbob
"Tom checks the ingredients on "Uncle Pusher's Old Timey Cocaine Filled Cider" - Silent Majority

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46069
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: THE FINAL

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
09 May 2019, 2:22pm
BitterTom wrote:
08 May 2019, 3:39pm
I've made it even again sorry. RCF is just too good compared to the production of CC. CC is obviously excellent but its sound is too small for the magnitude of the song. If it had the same power and feel as the FHTE version, this would be one of the easier polls, a clear winner. As it happens though RCF is pretty spot on, great sound and melody, you can almost feel the great time Joe and Mick were having. As I said last round, it's one of a very small list of songs that can raise my mood even at the shittest of times. A worthy winner in my eyes.

WestwayKid, thank you so much for organising this all, it's been fantastic!
Glad to do it - and thanks to everyone for the lively discussion. This was fun!!
Yeah big thanks for your efforts mate.
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33314
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: THE FINAL

Post by Heston »

Big ups to the WW Kid.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21442
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: THE FINAL

Post by 101Walterton »

All CC needs is an overdub of Adam Lambert vocals over Joe’s 77 vocals. Perfect!!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 46069
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: THE FINAL

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:41pm
All CC needs is an overdub of Adam Lambert vocals over Joe’s 77 vocals. Perfect!!
You big queen.














































fan.
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33314
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: THE FINAL

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:41pm
All CC needs is an overdub of Adam Lambert vocals over Joe’s 77 vocals. Perfect!!
Down goes Matey!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21442
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: THE FINAL

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:41pm
All CC needs is an overdub of Adam Lambert vocals over Joe’s 77 vocals. Perfect!!
Down goes Matey!
On Adam Lambert 😳

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 33314
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: THE FINAL

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
09 May 2019, 8:53pm
Heston wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:54pm
101Walterton wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:41pm
All CC needs is an overdub of Adam Lambert vocals over Joe’s 77 vocals. Perfect!!
Down goes Matey!
On Adam Lambert 😳
He's atrociously wrong here but I wouldn't push him that far!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1944
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: THE FINAL

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Thanks for doing this. It was fun adventure. I would've liked to have seen Rudie win but Complete Control is great (I'll always write out Complete Control rather than CC - my time isn't worth what I'd save by writing CC) and seen Radio Clash last longer (it is their best song after all!). I appreciate the diverse opinions - very fun! Thanks!

Post Reply