Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:19pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:08pm
Heston wrote:
09 May 2019, 6:59pm
The champ and deservedly so.

That moment went it all kicks in...on the LAST tour....priceless.

I fucking love this song.
It has so many great moments. On very first playing it (I bought it in WH Smiths, Reading) I just fell in love with it. I played it over and over again and the line ''I don't trust you...so why trust me'' was like my punk mantra.
I could write an essay on all the great things about it. I love the way the intro is in some weird timing like 6/8 or something. Matey will probably correct me but it has this unorthodox bar length. The way it has no chorus, just a bridge. That unexpected G chord just after the "you're my guitar hero" bit. Then it has a middle eight which kicks in out of nowhere and just keeps on rolling to the end. Utter genius made to sound so simple.
I don't know all the technical stuff but I understand passion when I hear it. Classic!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Complete Control Reigns Supreme!

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:22pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

It has so many great moments. On very first playing it (I bought it in WH Smiths, Reading) I just fell in love with it. I played it over and over again and the line ''I don't trust you...so why trust me'' was like my punk mantra.
I could write an essay on all the great things about it. I love the way the intro is in some weird timing like 6/8 or something. Matey will probably correct me but it has this unorthodox bar length. The way it has no chorus, just a bridge. That unexpected G chord just after the "you're my guitar hero" bit. Then it has a middle eight which kicks in out of nowhere and just keeps on rolling to the end. Utter genius made to sound so simple.
I don't know all the technical stuff but I understand passion when I hear it. Classic!
The fact they made all the technical stuff sound so straightforward is its biggest strength.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:25pm
Marky Dread wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:22pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

The fact they made all the technical stuff sound so straightforward is its biggest strength.
Mick and Topper were powerhouses of musicianship. Joe probably one of if not thee dedicated front men with absolute conviction. Paul brought the style. Perfect package.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Firstly thanks to the W2 Kid for a lot of effort that went into this.
Secondly although CC isn’t my favourite I am glad it won it seems fitting.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
09 May 2019, 7:33pm
Firstly thanks to the W2 Kid for a lot of effort that went into this.
Secondly although CC isn’t my favourite I am glad it won it seems fitting.
With the Clash I'm usually more of a "79 and after" kind of man, even though I love the early stuff. But this song is the exception to the rule.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I consider this entire polling process a vindication of Joe’s stellar 1977 vocals.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Thanks for organizing this, WWK! Like everybody else, I went back and re-listened to a bunch of Clash stuff I hadn't put on in yonks. What a great band.

And kudos to Sexy Flexy for the results/meta threads. 😎

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

This is the song the teenage me used to blast at full distorted volume over and over again with the window wide open for the whole complex to hear! j This is Joe Public speaking! I don't trust you, why trust me? so great!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
09 May 2019, 8:46pm
I consider this entire polling process a vindication of Joe’s stellar 1977 vocals.
I'm perfectly content with everyone not yet coming to terms with the inferiority of his 77 performances. I've usually been pretty ahead of the curve on these things.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
10 May 2019, 10:02am
I'm perfectly content with everyone not yet coming to terms with the inferiority of his 77 performances. I've usually been pretty ahead of the curve on these things.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Plus, CC does have the best misheard lyrics video around.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
10 May 2019, 10:59am
I meant to post that yesterday and got lazy.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

JennyB wrote:
This is Rob Zombie speaking! A p'zone in the body!

I can't unhear that now.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:
10 May 2019, 11:11am
JennyB wrote:
This is Rob Zombie speaking! A p'zone in the body!

I can't unhear that now.
:mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

The intro is in 4/4, I think that guitar part just makes it seem a bit off kilter.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc