08 Apr 2020, 3:25pm
Kory wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 3:09pm
Heston wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 2:54pm
Heston wrote:

No, it is also a tuneless rant.
Are you sure you're familiar with the band?
Yes, but I'm a bit picky with Rancid. Loads of great tunes but a lot of stuff I don't like. Obviously Wolves is nearly all great but I can discard most of Rancid 2000. It just depends which hat they're wearing.
Life Won't Wait is the only one I still listen to and I stop after track 10. Why didn't the band ever hear of B-sides?
There should be a "Rancid Rule" where punk bands aren't allowed more than 12 songs on an LP.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 2 Nomination

Post by matedog »

Forgot about this classic track 2 banger:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 4:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 4:35pm
Heston wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 4:16pm
tepista wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 4:11pm
Oh shit, fellas, I got some bad news, Track 2 on AOCTW is 11th Hour, not Roots Radicals.

edit: we can replace it with "Radio" from Let's Go

edit 2: now I wanna change my track one vote to "Let's Go" by the Cars.
Shit!

11th Hour is great as well, so that's my pick. I'll keep Roots Radicals for track three.
This is becoming farcical now.
:lol:

Has it ever been any other way?
It is a special kinda place for sure. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 4:38pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:

No, it is also a tuneless rant.
Yes, but I'm a bit picky with Rancid. Loads of great tunes but a lot of stuff I don't like. Obviously Wolves is nearly all great but I can discard most of Rancid 2000. It just depends which hat they're wearing.
Life Won't Wait is the only one I still listen to and I stop after track 10. Why didn't the band ever hear of B-sides?
There's plenty of good stuff on the second half of LWW. I probably prefer it to Wolves which has some good tunes at the end, but is just so much less interesting of a listen, at least over an extended period.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 4:53pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
There's plenty of good stuff on the second half of LWW. I probably prefer it to Wolves which has some good tunes at the end, but is just so much less interesting of a listen, at least over an extended period.
There is, but I just get listening fatigue by that point. They couldn't pull off the Sandinista! they wanted to, and it's not even close to as long.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 4:54pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

There is, but I just get listening fatigue by that point. They couldn't pull off the Sandinista! they wanted to, and it's not even close to as long.
Also: Image

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 5:03pm
Kory wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 4:54pm
matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:

Also: Image
No thanks!

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kory wrote:
Rancid thinks that since a CD is 80 minutes or whatever, they have to use the whole thing! I'm always tired after a Rancid record.

edit: Yes, listening fatigue, I missed that post.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I love that "All the Moonstompers" comp.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 6:38pm
I love that "All the Moonstompers" comp.
Hello,

That's my go to Rancid disc/album/collection. Out Come the Wolves is good - especially the 1-2 of Roots Radical and Time Bomb.
Last edited by gkbill on 09 Apr 2020, 1:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Pogues - White City
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

tepista wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 5:38pm
Kory wrote:
Rancid thinks that since a CD is 80 minutes or whatever, they have to use the whole thing! I'm always tired after a Rancid record.

It's like when Metallica was marketing Load as 78 minutes of music or whatever it was, like that was the only selling point. I guess until that point nobody had tried to fill up a whole CD.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Kory wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 1:49pm
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:

It's like when Metallica was marketing Load as 78 minutes of music or whatever it was, like that was the only selling point. I guess until that point nobody had tried to fill up a whole CD.
Hello,

I can remember listening to Get Happy and thinking "Wow, how many songs on this, anyway?" and loving it. The note from Nick Lowe put me at ease:

You'll have noticed that there are ten (?) tracks on each side of this, Elvis' new LP, making it a real "long player".
Elvis and I talked long and hard about the wisdom of taking this unusual step and are proud that we can now reassure hi-fi enthusiasts and/or people who never bought a record before 1967 that with the inclusion of this extra music time they will find no loss of sound quality due to "groove cramming" as the record nears the end of each face (i.e. the hole in the middle).

Now get happy.

Your friend,

Producer, Nick Lowe

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 2:40pm
Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:

Hello,

I can remember listening to Get Happy and thinking "Wow, how many songs on this, anyway?" and loving it. The note from Nick Lowe put me at ease:

You'll have noticed that there are ten (?) tracks on each side of this, Elvis' new LP, making it a real "long player".
Elvis and I talked long and hard about the wisdom of taking this unusual step and are proud that we can now reassure hi-fi enthusiasts and/or people who never bought a record before 1967 that with the inclusion of this extra music time they will find no loss of sound quality due to "groove cramming" as the record nears the end of each face (i.e. the hole in the middle).

Now get happy.

Your friend,

Producer, Nick Lowe
Brilliant value album. The double cd has 50 tracks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
tepista wrote:
Kory wrote:

Can you think of another?

And I didn't ask you Tom!