JennyB wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 11:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 3:30pm
revbob wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 3:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 3:22pm
Ha! asking me if I prefer the Pistols to Sabbath.

Bodies makes Paranoid seem like a tame pop song by comparison.
Take away the fuck this and fuck that and it aint so special.
Don't agree at all. Paranoid is about a guy in a state ditching his woman because he's unsatisfied with his all.

Bodies is a genuine tale of a woman who carried her aborted foetus around in a bag. It's also a song about the right of a woman to choose what she does with her body.

The song would be equally as brilliant without the profanity.
Is it? I have always interpreted it as an anti-choice song.
That's really interesting. I've always been with Marky on it being pro-choice, but I can see an ambivalent reading too.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Final Side 1 Track 2

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 11:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 3:30pm
revbob wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 3:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 3:22pm
Ha! asking me if I prefer the Pistols to Sabbath.

Bodies makes Paranoid seem like a tame pop song by comparison.
Take away the fuck this and fuck that and it aint so special.
Don't agree at all. Paranoid is about a guy in a state ditching his woman because he's unsatisfied with his all.

Bodies is a genuine tale of a woman who carried her aborted foetus around in a bag. It's also a song about the right of a woman to choose what she does with her body.

The song would be equally as brilliant without the profanity.
Is it? I have always interpreted it as an anti-choice song.
In an old interview he stated "Bodies" was neither pro or anti abortion. That wasn't the point to preach. In the same interview he also stated no one has a right to tell a woman what she can and can not do with her body.

Bodies”

Rotten: Pauline, in the song, was a very, very crazy disturbed person. You would probably call her a stalker these days, but in the early days we never had the term for it. She was just one of them annoying girls that wouldn’t take no for an answer. She was just turning up all the time and had an unpleasant attitude; she was clingy.

The song is about abortion, and yes, it is a woman’s right [to choose] absolutely because she has to bear the child and all the issues thereinafter. Is it wise to bring an unwanted child into the world? No, I don’t think it is, but again that is just my opinion, because I always would leave it to the woman. Always. In that song I raise both sides of the agenda and actually put myself in there, too. If it wasn’t for the grace of God, my mother could have had an abortion and I wouldn’t be here.

The “fuck this and fuck that” line wasn’t improvised; I wrote that down. That was just my anger at the end of it. That was my frustration of what on earth is the right answer, and it was my honest gut reaction: “Fuck this, fuck that/Fuck it all and fuck the fucking brat/I don’t want a baby that looks like that/I don’t want a baby that looks like that.” And then I’m crying as the baby, “Mommy, I’m not an animal/Daddy, I’m not an abortion.” It’s the duality of life, like, what’s the right decision? It’s very serious because it’s about the termination of a fellow human being, which I don’t take lightly.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 17 Apr 2020, 1:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 10:46am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 10:05am
revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 8:54am
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 8:48am
revbob wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 8:42am

Much prefer Roxy's vox.
No. :kiss:
This is my version of your version of Paranoid.
The Dickies version of Beat My Guest is much better. :mrgreen:
Than AA's I presume.

But seriously Ive only heard AA "hit" songs so Ive dismissed him, perhaps unfairly.
The early Ants were a brilliant band. Very very different to the pop showbiz he later became.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Right wingers always include Bodies in their list of "conservative rock songs" but I always took the song to be a slice of life (it's about a real person Lydon knew, right?) tale that was about manifesting the cruel institutional failures that Pauline was subjected to and the harsh consequences for her own well being. Brilliant, uncomfortable song in that light, imho. Possibly the Pistols at their truly most radical, insightful, incisive best.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 1:17pm
Right wingers always include Bodies in their list of "conservative rock songs" but I always took the song to be a slice of life (it's about a real person Lydon knew, right?) tale that was about manifesting the cruel institutional failures that Pauline was subjected to and the harsh consequences for her own well being. Brilliant, uncomfortable song in that light, imho. Possibly the Pistols at their truly most radical, insightful, incisive best.
I get it. And I appreciate your insight, Marky. Gives me a lot of food for thought.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Oh whoops, I totally missed Marky's authoritative post on the song.

Anyways, when I was just getting into punk when we lived in Greeley, my best friend liked the song (and not much else I was getting into) because he thought it was a pro-life tune (I thought so too at the time). We ended up moving right before I suspect he and I would have had a spectacular falling out.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
17 Apr 2020, 2:54pm
Oh whoops, I totally missed Marky's authoritative post on the song.

Anyways, when I was just getting into punk when we lived in Greeley, my best friend liked the song (and not much else I was getting into) because he thought it was a pro-life tune (I thought so too at the time). We ended up moving right before I suspect he and I would have had a spectacular falling out.
All good mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia