101Walterton wrote:
29 May 2020, 5:50pm
revbob wrote:
27 May 2020, 4:33pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 May 2020, 3:46pm
Heston wrote:
27 May 2020, 12:29pm

Just start with the first album, it's great.
RevBob presume you mean Come On Eileen?
Heston is correct start with their debut Searching For The Young Soul Rebels. ‘Eileen was off their second album after a major line up and change in style and direction.

SFTYSR came with the early 2 Tone wave and like 2 Tone was influenced by many genres including punk and soul with a great brass sound.
There, There My Dear and Geno (brilliant track) were the singles off SFTYSR but every track is perfect.
Downloading now...
What did you think?
Id say mostly favorable. I think I need to listen to it more. They remind me of this old NYC band Black47, which I then remembered Geof Blythe was in both bands, but there's also a similarity in vocal styles, which TBH Im not a big fan. But I will continue to listen. I like horn driven music and there's horns a plenty. Prefer the faster to the slower stuff, but that's pretty much always the case with me and any music.
Yes Rowland’s vocals can be divisive.
Dexys definitely at there best with the faster horn driven tracks like Geno, Plan B, There, There My Dear I agree. The slower ones on SFTYSR are a good mix though.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by gkbill »

101Walterton wrote:
29 May 2020, 7:43pm
revbob wrote:
29 May 2020, 7:09pm
101Walterton wrote:
29 May 2020, 5:50pm
revbob wrote:
27 May 2020, 4:33pm
101Walterton wrote:
27 May 2020, 3:46pm

RevBob presume you mean Come On Eileen?
Heston is correct start with their debut Searching For The Young Soul Rebels. ‘Eileen was off their second album after a major line up and change in style and direction.

SFTYSR came with the early 2 Tone wave and like 2 Tone was influenced by many genres including punk and soul with a great brass sound.
There, There My Dear and Geno (brilliant track) were the singles off SFTYSR but every track is perfect.
Downloading now...
What did you think?
Id say mostly favorable. I think I need to listen to it more. They remind me of this old NYC band Black47, which I then remembered Geof Blythe was in both bands, but there's also a similarity in vocal styles, which TBH Im not a big fan. But I will continue to listen. I like horn driven music and there's horns a plenty. Prefer the faster to the slower stuff, but that's pretty much always the case with me and any music.
Yes Rowland’s vocals can be divisive.
Dexys definitely at there best with the faster horn driven tracks like Geno, Plan B, There, There My Dear I agree. The slower ones on SFTYSR are a good mix though.
Hello,

I remember Black 47 - Rockin' the Bronx was big with my friends back in the day.

I'll have to check Searching for the Young Soul Rebels out again - I only think I listened to it once or twice. I thought Come on Eileen was overplayed and that swayed me.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Have to say COE really grinds my gears, maybe i liked it once and just fell out of love through over familiarity, not too sure, but i do know Too Rye Ay is still one of my all time favourite albums, easily top five. Rowland isnt the greatest vocalist but he puts everything in, mad as a box of frogs but in a good way. Just great passion and intensity throughout the records, all 3 of em i would say.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 May 2020, 5:20pm
Have to say COE really grinds my gears, maybe i liked it once and just fell out of love through over familiarity, not too sure, but i do know Too Rye Ay is still one of my all time favourite albums, easily top five. Rowland isnt the greatest vocalist but he puts everything in, mad as a box of frogs but in a good way. Just great passion and intensity throughout the records, all 3 of em i would say.
I was a Dexys fan but wasn’t happy when they changed direction on TRA. I bought it but because of what happened with COE that summer which turned them into a novelty act I moved on.
It was only when TRA was rereleased on CD that I really appreciated it and could see past the dungarees and bandanas.

I can also see COE for what it really is which is a great track not a drunken wedding reception last song of the night.

Still prefer the horn driven songs like Jackie Wilson Said snd Plan B (classic) but the album does have a good mix.

I agree with your comments about Rowland but have to forgive him for his madness because he really is the driving force.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

101Walterton wrote:
30 May 2020, 5:46pm
Low Down Low wrote:
30 May 2020, 5:20pm
I was a Dexys fan but wasn’t happy when they changed direction on TRA. I bought it but because of what happened with COE that summer which turned them into a novelty act I moved on.
It was only when TRA was rereleased on CD that I really appreciated it and could see past the dungarees and bandanas.

I can also see COE for what it really is which is a great track not a drunken wedding reception last song of the night.

Still prefer the horn driven songs like Jackie Wilson Said snd Plan B (classic) but the album does have a good mix.

I agree with your comments about Rowland but have to forgive him for his madness because he really is the driving force.
Totally get where you are coming from. I was aware of There There and Geno, but didnt really engage until TRA so guess i just identify more with that album. I'd hold Eileen, celtic soul and jackie Wilson as worst songs on it, but rest is sublime. Rowland kills it. I'd say he was a prick to work with at times but he seems honest and up front about it for the most part. I give him a pass on that basis.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 May 2020, 4:46am
Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC
Redemption Song - Bob Marley & The Wailers
Marky you have 3 songs nominated this round however:

Sympathy for the Devil - opening track Beggars Banquet.
Whole Lot Of Rosie - track 8
Redemption Song - track 10

Do you have an alternative?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
02 Jun 2020, 10:33pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Think I've lost the plot with the running order of these tracks. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 4:51am
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Round 11 poll going live soon so get your nomination in!!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 5:15am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 4:51am
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Round 11 poll going live soon so get your nomination in!!
Moving Away From the Pulsebeat - Buzzcocks

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia