The Ultimate Album Track 11

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 6227
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by Mimi »

101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:19pm
Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:11pm
Maybe it was how I grew up, but I'm not very good with jokingly insulting someone. A lot of times I can't read people correctly anyway, so I don't know, about 99% of the time, if someone is taking the piss or not.
So rhyming slang originated in London streets as a way of communicating in code to disguise what is being said (from non traders / Police etc). In the past it was a whole language and they would talk in sentences however nowadays it is just words that are used.
Was never any insult either joking or otherwise it was just a way of disguising what you were talking about snd the more obscure the better.
Ah. I'll have to read up on it later.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88676
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My two cents worth, with all intentions to be constructive and respectful. Regular posters here engage in insulting humour, often connected with nationalities and absurd stereotypes. Wally gets it all the time about sheep fucking. Olaf's gotten plenty of jabs about German humourlessness, cannibals, occasionally Nazi stuff. And the Limeys get it over and over for … well, who has the time to recite the list? All the regular posters throw these things around because, I'd like to think, we've interacted with each other for so long that we're comfortable needling each other to amuse and keep each other humble. That's the board culture that's developed and, to me, it makes the place comforting. We can share more improper jokes without being condemned (Tep, for example, has made jokes that he's said he couldn't get away with on Facebook). But we also know and have demonstrated that when somebody needs something, people step up and do their best to help. That's the give and take of solid community. But if a person doesn't like being insulted, that's entirely legit and I'd hope people would remember to honour that by not directing those (playful) insults at that person. By the same token, however, people who feel insulted should likewise stop using insults, even in jest, at others. It should be a voluntary playground, but also an even one.

Peace and love and sealed pancakes. :kiss:
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12516
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:11pm
Maybe it was how I grew up, but I'm not very good with jokingly insulting someone. A lot of times I can't read people correctly anyway, so I don't know, about 99% of the time, if someone is taking the piss or not.
Mimi, Im never serious so keep that in mind FWIW. I was the youngest kid in the family and the extended family so Ive taken a lot of shit and I guess there were some positive effects of it

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53356
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by Wolter »

Fine. Fucking fine.justvsay what you fucking want because fuck how I feel.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12516
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:20pm
My two cents worth, with all intentions to be constructive and respectful. Regular posters here engage in insulting humour, often connected with nationalities and absurd stereotypes. Wally gets it all the time about sheep fucking. Olaf's gotten plenty of jabs about German humourlessness, cannibals, occasionally Nazi stuff. And the Limeys get it over and over for … well, who has the time to recite the list? All the regular posters throw these things around because, I'd like to think, we've interacted with each other for so long that we're comfortable needling each other to amuse and keep each other humble. That's the board culture that's developed and, to me, it makes the place comforting. We can share more improper jokes without being condemned (Tep, for example, has made jokes that he's said he couldn't get away with on Facebook). But we also know and have demonstrated that when somebody needs something, people step up and do their best to help. That's the give and take of solid community. But if a person doesn't like being insulted, that's entirely legit and I'd hope people would remember to honour that by not directing those (playful) insults at that person. By the same token, however, people who feel insulted should likewise stop using insults, even in jest, at others. It should be a voluntary playground, but also an even one.

Peace and love and sealed pancakes. :kiss:
Wait I thought that was their national pastime.

Also I don't need to be preached to by a Canadian, and a western one at that.

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 6227
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:20pm
My two cents worth, with all intentions to be constructive and respectful. Regular posters here engage in insulting humour, often connected with nationalities and absurd stereotypes. Wally gets it all the time about sheep fucking. Olaf's gotten plenty of jabs about German humourlessness, cannibals, occasionally Nazi stuff. And the Limeys get it over and over for … well, who has the time to recite the list? All the regular posters throw these things around because, I'd like to think, we've interacted with each other for so long that we're comfortable needling each other to amuse and keep each other humble. That's the board culture that's developed and, to me, it makes the place comforting. We can share more improper jokes without being condemned (Tep, for example, has made jokes that he's said he couldn't get away with on Facebook). But we also know and have demonstrated that when somebody needs something, people step up and do their best to help. That's the give and take of solid community. But if a person doesn't like being insulted, that's entirely legit and I'd hope people would remember to honour that by not directing those (playful) insults at that person. By the same token, however, people who feel insulted should likewise stop using insults, even in jest, at others. It should be a voluntary playground, but also an even one.

Peace and love and sealed pancakes. :kiss:
I wanted to add more, but I got bit by a mosquito and got distracted. lol

Anyway, I understand and appreciate the culture on this board and would say I can read most of y'all by now. I enjoy the banter and the ribbing and can take it. The septic thing threw me, but now that I've been schooled, I'll think no more of it. So, yeah, I can do the give and take and, like Tep, I say things here I can't say elsewhere, but it honestly doesn't come easy for me, because of my shitty childhood.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88676
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:22pm
Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:11pm
Maybe it was how I grew up, but I'm not very good with jokingly insulting someone. A lot of times I can't read people correctly anyway, so I don't know, about 99% of the time, if someone is taking the piss or not.
Mimi, Im never serious so keep that in mind FWIW. I was the youngest kid in the family and the extended family so Ive taken a lot of shit and I guess there were some positive effects of it
My self-reference in my family (joking but not really) is "junior member, non-voting." It's caused (or related to) self-confidence issues, but I'd like to think it's helped develop a kind of humility and humour about it all. Still, I tend not to insult people unless I know them and can do it in a teasing way.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21458
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by 101Walterton »

I’ve apologised I don’t want to offend anyone and I won’t use it again for that reason.

Mimi
User avatar
Goddess of the Underworld
Posts: 6227
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:36pm
Location: Down in the pit

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:30pm
revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:22pm
Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:11pm
Maybe it was how I grew up, but I'm not very good with jokingly insulting someone. A lot of times I can't read people correctly anyway, so I don't know, about 99% of the time, if someone is taking the piss or not.
Mimi, Im never serious so keep that in mind FWIW. I was the youngest kid in the family and the extended family so Ive taken a lot of shit and I guess there were some positive effects of it
My self-reference in my family (joking but not really) is "junior member, non-voting." It's caused (or related to) self-confidence issues, but I'd like to think it's helped develop a kind of humility and humour about it all. Still, I tend not to insult people unless I know them and can do it in a teasing way.
Same on the last part. My former co-worker and I call each other things like bitchface and butthead and giggle like kids about it. I can't do that with just anyone.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88676
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:24pm
Also I don't need to be preached to by a Canadian, and a western one at that.
You wouldn't last 48 hours in the hinterland. Being raised in that pre-post-atomic wasteland has given me every right to preach!
Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:28pm
Anyway, I understand and appreciate the culture on this board and would say I can read most of y'all by now. I enjoy the banter and the ribbing and can take it. The septic thing threw me, but now that I've been schooled, I'll think no more of it. So, yeah, I can do the give and take and, like Tep, I say things here I can't say elsewhere, but it honestly doesn't come easy for me, because of my shitty childhood.
And that's one of the things I love. As a community, you all are really funny and clever, and I love reading your wit, especially the more transgressive stuff. But, as I said above, at heart I know people have each other's backs, so the humour feels more inclusive to me. Again, that's just how I interpret; I'm not suggesting anything universal.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88676
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
26 May 2020, 8:34pm
My former co-worker and I call each other things like bitchface and butthead and giggle like kids about it. I can't do that with just anyone.
Me and the missuz are always insulting each other that way. One of our friends in NC—he started teaching in the department in our second year—his wife regularly called him asshole. Shocking at first—"Hey, asshole, pass the salt"—but then funny, and then you realize the trust that supports it.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21458
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by 101Walterton »

My third and last chance to get a Dexys track on this album but it is an absolute belter!!
If you don’t know it have a listen before voting 🙏

There, There My Dear - Dexys Midnight Runners

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12516
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 9:04pm
My third and last chance to get a Dexys track on this album but it is an absolute belter!!
If you don’t know it have a listen before voting 🙏

There, There My Dear - Dexys Midnight Runners
Hmm I could probably see my way to supporting this... :shifty:

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5160
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 9:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 9:04pm
My third and last chance to get a Dexys track on this album but it is an absolute belter!!
If you don’t know it have a listen before voting 🙏

There, There My Dear - Dexys Midnight Runners
Hmm I could probably see my way to supporting this... :shifty:
If it helps the steward looking into the Paranoid case with his decision...

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12516
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: The Ultimate Album Track 11

Post by revbob »

Olaf wrote:
27 May 2020, 8:08am
revbob wrote:
26 May 2020, 9:30pm
101Walterton wrote:
26 May 2020, 9:04pm
My third and last chance to get a Dexys track on this album but it is an absolute belter!!
If you don’t know it have a listen before voting 🙏

There, There My Dear - Dexys Midnight Runners
Hmm I could probably see my way to supporting this... :shifty:
If it helps the steward looking into the Paranoid case with his decision...
Ive never gotten around to listening to Dexy's much because that hit song they had never did too much for me. This I feel is a genuine good song, I guess I should check out more.

Post Reply