The Ultimate Album Project Debrief part 1

101Walterton
The Best

The Ultimate Album Project Debrief part 1

Post by 101Walterton »

Firstly I'd just like to thank everyone who take part and got involved in this pet project of mine. It would not have worked if you hadn't voted or got involved in the ensuing debates etc.. so thank for sticking with it.
Whilst it was a project for me it was also meant to be fun and raise some discussion under a different format during the mundane lockdown. Only so many ways you can debate your Top 5 .....
I like to think that we achieved that amongst the angst and anger especially the side show caused by 'Round 2 Gate'!!
Just want to make it clear that 2 was never part of the project and took on a life of it's own mainly caused by the Poll mentor in Poll Central pulling strings ;)

What was my project? It originally comes from the scene in the Nick Horny book High Fedelity with the guy who works in the record shop with OCD who asks "what is your favourite top 5 side 1 track 1" and he replies " top 5 side 1's track 1's Janie Jones Clash.... (here's a link to the scene in the subsequent film)

I have been mulling over the idea of doing that on here but rather than just a list of favourite top 5 track 1's I thought it would be good to create an album tracklist based on a 12 track two side vinyl album. The tracklist is based on vinyl because pre skip / shuffle / programme you would listen to an album in its entireity and the order the band chose so you like to think there was some method to it.

My idea of a tradiditional tracklist goes something like this.
Side 1 track 1 belter or sign of what is to come, 2-4 strong tracks usually contain at least 1 single off the album, 5 album filler, 6 close with another strong track to make you want to turn over.
Side 2 track 7 Again another strong track to open
8-11 gets interesting here as may often find some slowed tracks, genre experimantation, instrumentals, experimantal songs (e.g. backwards tracks etc..)
12 Close with another strong stong possibly a single to ensure you keep listening to the end.
Ghost Track - this was originally just a nod to LC and TIV but when I looked into it I was suprised how many tracks fell into the category. Originally It was supposed to be just bits added to the end of an album but then there were so many that appeared on a album that were just missed of the track listing for whatever reason so it became all inclusive for that reason.

The Clash were omitted for obvious reasons and I wanted to keep it to one track per band to keep the listing more open.

I know this does not fit every album and no doubt you could list numerous examples where it doesn't fit but as I said it was a fun project and I want to see how close to that format we could get.

Album details in part 2.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Ultimate Album Project Debrief part 1

Post by Olaf »

It was great fun, thanks for all the work. Looking forward to your next project, "The Ultimate Metal Album."
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

This was plenty of fun and showed the board's character to properly bicker and betray. We all done good, I think.

Amusingly, the song that'll end up standing out from this effort long term is "Paranoid," sure to be invoked whenever poll threads get suspicious. Sometimes the real winner loses the vote.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Thank you for your hard work on this - it was a lot of fun. Let's do one next for women singers! :mrgreen:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Debrief? Is that related you you taking our trousers down in round 2?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 3:30pm
Thank you for your hard work on this - it was a lot of fun. Let's do one next for women singers! :mrgreen:
It really is a shame. I thought Bikini Kill was gonna be a lock. Then I remembered...

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 9:41am
This was plenty of fun and showed the board's character to properly bicker and betray. We all done good, I think.

Amusingly, the song that'll end up standing out from this effort long term is "Paranoid," sure to be invoked whenever poll threads get suspicious. Sometimes the real winner loses the vote.
If nothing else a new word / quote enters IMCT folklore. That is always an achievement.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

JennyB wrote:
Yes that was a strange anomaly?? I thought X-Ray Spex was going to be the one.
I may be wrong but I would not have thought there was an anti female bias on this board going by discussions in threads / lists etc. but keen to hear your thoughts on that if I am missing something.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 4:34pm
JennyB wrote:
Yes that was a strange anomaly?? I thought X-Ray Spex was going to be the one.
I may be wrong but I would not have thought there was an anti female bias on this board going by discussions in threads / lists etc. but keen to hear your thoughts on that if I am missing something.
I don't think there's an anti-female bias at all. I just think that the times they came up, they were up against too powerful a force.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

JennyB wrote:
Someone - not me, I've served my time in poll making with the Big Audio Dynamite and as 101 will tell you, one is enough - should definitely make a woman centered one.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Silent Majority wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 10:27am
JennyB wrote:
Someone - not me, I've served my time in poll making with the Big Audio Dynamite and as 101 will tell you, one is enough - should definitely make a woman centered one.
I will think about it, but work is crazy right now. Maybe when things slow down (i.e. when Trump is dead?).
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 10:31am
Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:
I will think about it, but work is crazy right now. Maybe when things slow down (i.e. when Trump is dead?).
Ideally in a hail of gunfire in a dank Motel 6 room in Wyoming.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

JennyB wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 10:31am
Silent Majority wrote:
JennyB wrote:
O Glorious Day
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JennyB wrote:
Into it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 10:47am
JennyB wrote:
Into it.
Yeah, I'm behind this.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board