Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 15820
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by Silent Majority »

Olaf wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 9:18am
Wolter wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 9:35pm
Gonna be contrarian and just put in Paranoid instead like the way I put the Black Hawk Down Minstrel Boy on my digital version of Global-A-Go-Go.
Honestly, better song or not, I think the inclusion of Paranoid would make for a more balanced tracklist. Not quite as biased towards late 70s Britpop/New Wave.

And no one except Wally needs a ghost track really. ;)
I'm in two minds, man. I was all about some variety, but cos of the way most of the tracks went, I wonder if it would have felt out of place. I listened to the tracklisting this morning and, great song as it is, Strawberry Fields Forever stuck out like a sore thumb. I was in a shit mood, though, cos the computer had just wiped my side of a podcast after I finished editing it. Though I strongly disagree with 101's opinion that there's any meaningful difference between the HEAVY HEAVY MONSTER SOUND of Black Sabbath and '78 punk, beyond aesthetics.
Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom, but I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control and it didn't have any inherent wisdom. I quickly realised that you either became a power or you were crushed


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53401
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by Wolter »

Olaf wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 9:18am
Wolter wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 9:35pm
Gonna be contrarian and just put in Paranoid instead like the way I put the Black Hawk Down Minstrel Boy on my digital version of Global-A-Go-Go.
Honestly, better song or not, I think the inclusion of Paranoid would make for a more balanced tracklist. Not quite as biased towards late 70s Britpop/New Wave.

And no one except Wally needs a ghost track really. ;)
It certainly bridges Blitzkrieg Bop and Moonage Daydream better.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53401
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 10:05am
Olaf wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 9:18am
Wolter wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 9:35pm
Gonna be contrarian and just put in Paranoid instead like the way I put the Black Hawk Down Minstrel Boy on my digital version of Global-A-Go-Go.
Honestly, better song or not, I think the inclusion of Paranoid would make for a more balanced tracklist. Not quite as biased towards late 70s Britpop/New Wave.

And no one except Wally needs a ghost track really. ;)
I'm in two minds, man. I was all about some variety, but cos of the way most of the tracks went, I wonder if it would have felt out of place. I listened to the tracklisting this morning and, great song as it is, Strawberry Fields Forever stuck out like a sore thumb. I was in a shit mood, though, cos the computer had just wiped my side of a podcast after I finished editing it. Though I strongly disagree with 101's opinion that there's any meaningful difference between the HEAVY HEAVY MONSTER SOUND of Black Sabbath and '78 punk, beyond aesthetics.
Most definitely not.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12686
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 9:43am
Heston wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 7:55am
So I never got any of my picks on this album? That's it, I'm not buying it.
I['d have to go back and look, but I don't think I voted for the winning track in over half the votes.
I think 3 for me, Ramones, Wire and SLF, oh and of course Paranoid

JennyB
User avatar
Clash Cuck
Posts: 18995
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by JennyB »

Nice work, everyone!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

Don't talk shop.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21537
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 2:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 10:05am
Olaf wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 9:18am
Wolter wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 9:35pm
Gonna be contrarian and just put in Paranoid instead like the way I put the Black Hawk Down Minstrel Boy on my digital version of Global-A-Go-Go.
Honestly, better song or not, I think the inclusion of Paranoid would make for a more balanced tracklist. Not quite as biased towards late 70s Britpop/New Wave.

And no one except Wally needs a ghost track really. ;)
I'm in two minds, man. I was all about some variety, but cos of the way most of the tracks went, I wonder if it would have felt out of place. I listened to the tracklisting this morning and, great song as it is, Strawberry Fields Forever stuck out like a sore thumb. I was in a shit mood, though, cos the computer had just wiped my side of a podcast after I finished editing it. Though I strongly disagree with 101's opinion that there's any meaningful difference between the HEAVY HEAVY MONSTER SOUND of Black Sabbath and '78 punk, beyond aesthetics.
Most definitely not.
Maybe part of my bias goes back to 1978 / 79 when battle lines were fiercely drawn and protected. BS and Punk clearly on opposite sides. BS were seen in parched on denim waistcoat or jackets of heavy metal fans and punk bands were on pins of leather biker or bondage bikers. Never the 2 shall cross sides.
On a more serious note to me there is a clear difference in sound between the 2 mostly in relation to the guitar and vocal delivery.

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12686
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 4:43pm
Wolter wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 2:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 10:05am
Olaf wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 9:18am
Wolter wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 9:35pm
Gonna be contrarian and just put in Paranoid instead like the way I put the Black Hawk Down Minstrel Boy on my digital version of Global-A-Go-Go.
Honestly, better song or not, I think the inclusion of Paranoid would make for a more balanced tracklist. Not quite as biased towards late 70s Britpop/New Wave.

And no one except Wally needs a ghost track really. ;)
I'm in two minds, man. I was all about some variety, but cos of the way most of the tracks went, I wonder if it would have felt out of place. I listened to the tracklisting this morning and, great song as it is, Strawberry Fields Forever stuck out like a sore thumb. I was in a shit mood, though, cos the computer had just wiped my side of a podcast after I finished editing it. Though I strongly disagree with 101's opinion that there's any meaningful difference between the HEAVY HEAVY MONSTER SOUND of Black Sabbath and '78 punk, beyond aesthetics.
Most definitely not.
Maybe part of my bias goes back to 1978 / 79 when battle lines were fiercely drawn and protected. BS and Punk clearly on opposite sides. BS were seen in parched on denim waistcoat or jackets of heavy metal fans and punk bands were on pins of leather biker or bondage bikers. Never the 2 shall cross sides.
On a more serious note to me there is a clear difference in sound between the 2 mostly in relation to the guitar and vocal delivery.
See you're bringing teenage prejudices into this 30-40 years later.

As for sound and vocal delivery the same can be said of the Dead Kennedys. East Bay Ray has a very unique guitar sound that is unlike any other guitar in punk, and Jello's singing. I could go on with other examples as well.

In the end you had a vision and I think you are happy with how it played out and that's what matters.

tepista
User avatar
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf
Posts: 34836
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 11:25am
Location: Livin on a fault line, Waiting on the big one

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by tepista »

Someone make the artwork
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 12686
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 8:04pm
Someone make the artwork
I vote...
Image

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53401
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 4:51pm
101Walterton wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 4:43pm
Wolter wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 2:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 10:05am
Olaf wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 9:18am


Honestly, better song or not, I think the inclusion of Paranoid would make for a more balanced tracklist. Not quite as biased towards late 70s Britpop/New Wave.

And no one except Wally needs a ghost track really. ;)
I'm in two minds, man. I was all about some variety, but cos of the way most of the tracks went, I wonder if it would have felt out of place. I listened to the tracklisting this morning and, great song as it is, Strawberry Fields Forever stuck out like a sore thumb. I was in a shit mood, though, cos the computer had just wiped my side of a podcast after I finished editing it. Though I strongly disagree with 101's opinion that there's any meaningful difference between the HEAVY HEAVY MONSTER SOUND of Black Sabbath and '78 punk, beyond aesthetics.
Most definitely not.
Maybe part of my bias goes back to 1978 / 79 when battle lines were fiercely drawn and protected. BS and Punk clearly on opposite sides. BS were seen in parched on denim waistcoat or jackets of heavy metal fans and punk bands were on pins of leather biker or bondage bikers. Never the 2 shall cross sides.
On a more serious note to me there is a clear difference in sound between the 2 mostly in relation to the guitar and vocal delivery.
See you're bringing teenage prejudices into this 30-40 years later.

As for sound and vocal delivery the same can be said of the Dead Kennedys. East Bay Ray has a very unique guitar sound that is unlike any other guitar in punk, and Jello's singing. I could go on with other examples as well.

In the end you had a vision and I think you are happy with how it played out and that's what matters.
I always thought Cock Sparrer’s vocals were reminiscent of Sabbath.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Post Reply