Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Here It Is - The Ultimate Album

Post by Silent Majority »

Olaf wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 9:18am
Wolter wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 9:35pm
Gonna be contrarian and just put in Paranoid instead like the way I put the Black Hawk Down Minstrel Boy on my digital version of Global-A-Go-Go.
Honestly, better song or not, I think the inclusion of Paranoid would make for a more balanced tracklist. Not quite as biased towards late 70s Britpop/New Wave.

And no one except Wally needs a ghost track really. ;)
I'm in two minds, man. I was all about some variety, but cos of the way most of the tracks went, I wonder if it would have felt out of place. I listened to the tracklisting this morning and, great song as it is, Strawberry Fields Forever stuck out like a sore thumb. I was in a shit mood, though, cos the computer had just wiped my side of a podcast after I finished editing it. Though I strongly disagree with 101's opinion that there's any meaningful difference between the HEAVY HEAVY MONSTER SOUND of Black Sabbath and '78 punk, beyond aesthetics.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Olaf wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Gonna be contrarian and just put in Paranoid instead like the way I put the Black Hawk Down Minstrel Boy on my digital version of Global-A-Go-Go.
Honestly, better song or not, I think the inclusion of Paranoid would make for a more balanced tracklist. Not quite as biased towards late 70s Britpop/New Wave.

It certainly bridges Blitzkrieg Bop and Moonage Daydream better.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Silent Majority wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 10:05am
Olaf wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I'm in two minds, man. I was all about some variety, but cos of the way most of the tracks went, I wonder if it would have felt out of place. I listened to the tracklisting this morning and, great song as it is, Strawberry Fields Forever stuck out like a sore thumb. I was in a shit mood, though, cos the computer had just wiped my side of a podcast after I finished editing it. Though I strongly disagree with 101's opinion that there's any meaningful difference between the HEAVY HEAVY MONSTER SOUND of Black Sabbath and '78 punk, beyond aesthetics.
Most definitely not.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 9:43am
Heston wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 7:55am
So I never got any of my picks on this album? That's it, I'm not buying it.
I['d have to go back and look, but I don't think I voted for the winning track in over half the votes.
I think 3 for me, Ramones, Wire and SLF, oh and of course Paranoid

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Nice work, everyone!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Wolter wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 2:29pm
Silent Majority wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Most definitely not.
Maybe part of my bias goes back to 1978 / 79 when battle lines were fiercely drawn and protected. BS and Punk clearly on opposite sides. BS were seen in parched on denim waistcoat or jackets of heavy metal fans and punk bands were on pins of leather biker or bondage bikers. Never the 2 shall cross sides.
On a more serious note to me there is a clear difference in sound between the 2 mostly in relation to the guitar and vocal delivery.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

101Walterton wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 4:43pm
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Olaf wrote:
Wolter wrote:

Most definitely not.
Maybe part of my bias goes back to 1978 / 79 when battle lines were fiercely drawn and protected. BS and Punk clearly on opposite sides. BS were seen in parched on denim waistcoat or jackets of heavy metal fans and punk bands were on pins of leather biker or bondage bikers. Never the 2 shall cross sides.
On a more serious note to me there is a clear difference in sound between the 2 mostly in relation to the guitar and vocal delivery.
See you're bringing teenage prejudices into this 30-40 years later.

As for sound and vocal delivery the same can be said of the Dead Kennedys. East Bay Ray has a very unique guitar sound that is unlike any other guitar in punk, and Jello's singing. I could go on with other examples as well.

In the end you had a vision and I think you are happy with how it played out and that's what matters.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Someone make the artwork
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 8:04pm
Someone make the artwork
I vote...

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 4:51pm
101Walterton wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 4:43pm
Wolter wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Olaf wrote:

Most definitely not.
See you're bringing teenage prejudices into this 30-40 years later.

As for sound and vocal delivery the same can be said of the Dead Kennedys. East Bay Ray has a very unique guitar sound that is unlike any other guitar in punk, and Jello's singing. I could go on with other examples as well.

In the end you had a vision and I think you are happy with how it played out and that's what matters.
I always thought Cock Sparrer’s vocals were reminiscent of Sabbath.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

available on vinyl only ... well since Paranoid by Black Sabbath is the non-album single, what about the b-side? There are plenty of great choices for that, no? The hard fast version of Revolution by the Beatles was a non-album b-side, pretty hard to beat that one.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 8:27pm
tepista wrote:
Someone make the artwork
I vote...
Top-Hit aus England!
Attachments
R-2475202-1356878759-5091.jpeg.jpg
R-2475202-1356878759-5091.jpeg.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 11924 times
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Olaf wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 1:47pm
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
Someone make the artwork
I vote...
Top-Hit aus England!
That's such a better cover.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

revbob wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 3:37pm
Olaf wrote:
23 Jul 2020, 1:47pm
revbob wrote:
tepista wrote:
Someone make the artwork
I vote...
Top-Hit aus England!
That's such a better cover.
Scylla vs. Charybdis.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

rcs
Unknown Immortal

Post by rcs »

as a gentle reminder

new day rising
new day rising
new day rising
new day rising
new day rising
new day rising
new day rising