gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 2 Vote - Round 2

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:08pm
gkbill wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:01pm
Okay, great! Thanks for that. Going forward, please understand I do not understand any initials with the following exceptions: ASAP, and all major sport associations/leagues. What a great day!
10-4, roger, A-OK!
Hello,

This has been fun. At some point, I hope we meet up for a beer ASAP!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 2:28pm
Put another way, Madonna represented and encouraged discourse about the nature of American life in the 80s. She was said to represent the very complicated legacy of second-wave feminism and post-sexual revolution life, as well as Reagan era hedonism and materialism. I struggle to think of any musician now who can credibly play that role. And it's not, I maintain, because Madonna was such a special personality—tho she was that—but the nature of the media was a funnel that allowed her to become a centralized figure. Our relationship with media now is (I keep using this word) fragmented that people can't command the same kind of attention, certainly not for the same length of time.
No fucking way if we are talking Beyonce. She, I would argue, has greatly eclipsed Madonna as a cultural force. She has the hit records, headlined stadiums and Coachella, the superstar marriage, the instant pop culture phrases (Surfboard, hot sauce in my bag, that great Red Lobster line that spiked their profits), the lucrative Pepsi endorsement (which I guess matches Madonna and add shitty film roles to that too), the tight friendship with the president. It's probably not well understood amongst middle age white guys on a punk rock board, but my understanding (i'm not remotely pretending to be anywhere near an expert on this) is that she is pretty much intouchable in the African American community and has drawn a lot of attention to the culture and issues within the community (a stark contrast to Whitney for example).
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Put another way, Madonna represented and encouraged discourse about the nature of American life in the 80s. She was said to represent the very complicated legacy of second-wave feminism and post-sexual revolution life, as well as Reagan era hedonism and materialism. I struggle to think of any musician now who can credibly play that role. And it's not, I maintain, because Madonna was such a special personality—tho she was that—but the nature of the media was a funnel that allowed her to become a centralized figure. Our relationship with media now is (I keep using this word) fragmented that people can't command the same kind of attention, certainly not for the same length of time.
No fucking way if we are talking Beyonce. She, I would argue, has greatly eclipsed Madonna as a cultural force. She has the hit records, headlined stadiums and Coachella, the superstar marriage, the instant pop culture phrases (Surfboard, hot sauce in my bag, that great Red Lobster line that spiked their profits), the lucrative Pepsi endorsement (which I guess matches Madonna and add shitty film roles to that too), the tight friendship with the president. It's probably not well understood amongst middle age white guys on a punk rock board, but my understanding (i'm not remotely pretending to be anywhere near an expert on this) is that she is pretty much intouchable in the African American community and has drawn a lot of attention to the culture and issues within the community (a stark contrast to Whitney for example).
Nah. It's like saying Bruno Mars is bigger than Michael Jackson.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:17pm
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's not the argument I'm making at all. She's got the record/ticket sales, big endorsements, etc. to be on par with Madonna but moves past her for her importance of bringing a strong black female voice to the mainstream and that voice reached the presidency.

Keep in mind, you grew up with Madonna-mania and are well past (as am I) the age of knowing the pop culture pulse of really the last twenty years.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:06pm
Wolter wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:48pm
Plus GNDA was just a fun silly in-joke here to cope with all the SRPs. And to ameliorate all the heady DCT.
My memory may be fuzzy here, but I think I was christened as one of the original SRPs. :sad:
I’m sure it was me who did that. I am quite the scamp.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Plus GNDA was just a fun silly in-joke here to cope with all the SRPs. And to ameliorate all the heady DCT.
My memory may be fuzzy here, but I think I was christened as one of the original SRPs. :sad:
Someday my lawyer or hired goon will contact you about that.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:23pm
That's not the argument I'm making at all. She's got the record/ticket sales, big endorsements, etc. to be on par with Madonna but moves past her for her importance of bringing a strong black female voice to the mainstream and that voice reached the presidency.
The main thing I hesitate about this is how prominent she is as a mainstream voice. But that's because I'm skeptical that a meaningful mainstream exists anymore. But if there's a case to be made for a musician achieving the kind of status we've been talking about, I'd say it's Beyonce.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Keep in mind, you grew up with Madonna-mania and are well past (as am I) the age of knowing the pop culture pulse of really the last twenty years.
But that is my point. If she was as culturally significant as Madonna, even old farts like myself would be aware of her every move. As it stands I think I could confidently name one song by her.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
This checks out.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 5:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
This checks out.
Coincidentally(?), I listened to a Sufjan Stevens record yesterday. Sunrise, sunset …

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:43pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
“Hired goons?”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:50pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

But that is my point. If she was as culturally significant as Madonna, even old farts like myself would be aware of her every move. As it stands I think I could confidently name one song by her.
. Yeah. Even my fucking grandparents were aware of Madonna and had opinions. I don’t think my dad has any idea who Beyoncé is, and he’s roughly the same age they were then.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 7:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:43pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
“Hired goons?”

matedog

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 7:27pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

. Yeah. Even my fucking grandparents were aware of Madonna and had opinions. I don’t think my dad has any idea who Beyoncé is, and he’s roughly the same age they were then.
My grandparents had no clue who Madonna was in the 80's. My mom knows who Beyonce is and she's the same age they were in the 80's, if not older.

Beyonce performed at the Super Bowl and Obama's inauguration. I could cite countless articles about her cultural importance, particularly in the last 10 years, but this is probably one area where we agree to disagree.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 11:25pm
Wolter wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 7:27pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:

My grandparents had no clue who Madonna was in the 80's. My mom knows who Beyonce is and she's the same age they were in the 80's, if not older.

Beyonce performed at the Super Bowl and Obama's inauguration. I could cite countless articles about her cultural importance, particularly in the last 10 years, but this is probably one area where we agree to disagree.
Hello,

I'll risk a potentially uninformed take on this. Madonna challenged the public's status quo on several issues. I don't think Beyonce has done the same - or at least to the same extent. I think much of this can be put down to the "Hey, Republicans buy sneakers, too..." argument proffered by Michael Jordan when asked why he avoided putting forward his opinions on events of the day.