Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 2:59pm
gkbill wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 2:43pm
Wolter wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 2:35pm
A group 10 times as talented and willing to experiment as the Beatles were in the 60s simply could not have the same impact today because pop culture just isn’t the monoculture it was then.
That question came up not long ago when that movie came out about the guy time travelling or something to a world where only he knew the songs of the Beatles and introduced them to that world to great acclaim (sorry, never actually saw the movie). My nephew, a Beatles fan, asked me whether I though the Beatles and their music could command the attention of people today as they did in the 60s. Not a fucking chance. Genius is contextual. We hate to think that, but the individual human is not bigger than their historical context. We properly appreciate the Beatles for having the will and ability to dramatically influence their times, but they also needed their times to be that post-50s repressive hangover mixed with narcissistic young people who had lots of cash. That's the cardinal rule of any historian—the when matters as much as the who and where.
Hello,

Damn! This has gotten a lot deeper than "Vote for Lene Lovich!".
Small bursts of more intellectual discourse to justify the 95% of GNDA.
Hello,

GNDA? Greater Nashville Darting Association?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 2 Vote - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 2:35pm
A group 10 times as talented and willing to experiment as the Beatles were in the 60s simply could not have the same impact today because pop culture just isn’t the monoculture it was then.
That question came up not long ago when that movie came out about the guy time travelling or something to a world where only he knew the songs of the Beatles and introduced them to that world to great acclaim (sorry, never actually saw the movie). My nephew, a Beatles fan, asked me whether I though the Beatles and their music could command the attention of people today as they did in the 60s. Not a fucking chance. Genius is contextual. We hate to think that, but the individual human is not bigger than their historical context. We properly appreciate the Beatles for having the will and ability to dramatically influence their times, but they also needed their times to be that post-50s repressive hangover mixed with narcissistic young people who had lots of cash. That's the cardinal rule of any historian—the when matters as much as the who and where.
Hello,

Hello,

Good-natured dumb assery. Has the initialism really fallen out of our collective memory?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:05pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Good-natured dumb assery. Has the initialism really fallen out of our collective memory?
Hello,

I don't care for the initial stuff. Writing out the words will take ~500 microseconds (less time than the average penalty kick takes to travel from foot to net - or goalkeeper glove(s)). I have no idea how little to caloric cost of typing 4 short words. Your time isn't worth that much - it's not costing you dollars in lost income by typing out a complete set of words. Those parts of a calorie won't make a difference.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Hello,

I don't care for the initial stuff. Writing out the words will take ~500 microseconds (less time than the average penalty kick takes to travel from foot to net - or goalkeeper glove(s)). I have no idea how little to caloric cost of typing 4 short words. Your time isn't worth that much - it's not costing you dollars in lost income by typing out a complete set of words. Those parts of a calorie won't make a difference.
Counterpoint: Western culture gravitates to two ends, laziness and efficiency. In this case, the initialism serves both. In essence, I wear the crown of the entire Enlightenment. :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WTF? FTW!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:17pm
WTF? FTW!
LOL (YMMV).

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:16pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Counterpoint: Western culture gravitates to two ends, laziness and efficiency. In this case, the initialism serves both. In essence, I wear the crown of the entire Enlightenment. :shifty:
Hello,

Isn't this based on the false assumption that one must gravitate without rational with the culture? Didn't the Clash represent drifting away from musical cultural domination? Okay, how about efficiency being defined as movement/expenditure economy at a lesser cost? I posit that the effort saved is not worth the potential loss of understanding - thus, true efficiency would require expressing your message in a manner with which complete understanding is possible for a greater mass (or masses - not sure which) - excess energy but providing complete understanding by a greater number and preventing/eliminating potential misunderstandings and misinterpretations - thus a greater yield. (Man, that might be the most pretentious thing I've ever written!)

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Dang, and I thought it was Greater Nashville Darting Association all those years.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Olaf wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Dang, and I thought it was Greater Nashville Darting Association all those years.
I don’t want to brag, but I’m a champion of both.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Hello,

Isn't this based on the false assumption that one must gravitate without rational with the culture? Didn't the Clash represent drifting away from musical cultural domination? Okay, how about efficiency being defined as movement/expenditure economy at a lesser cost? I posit that the effort saved is not worth the potential loss of understanding - thus, true efficiency would require expressing your message in a manner with which complete understanding is possible for a greater mass (or masses - not sure which) - excess energy but providing complete understanding by a greater number and preventing/eliminating potential misunderstandings and misinterpretations - thus a greater yield. (Man, that might be the most pretentious thing I've ever written!)
Well, yeah, it only works if both sides of the communication understand the shorthand. If both sides share the knowledge, the abbreviated version means you can get to the meat of the communication more efficiently. We do it all the time with concepts. Marxists don't spell out what, say, mode of production means every time they want to talk about the conditions of labour. They just use that short phrase and get on with their greater point. Sabermetricians don't explain the logic and formula behind WAR every time they assess a ballplayer's value. It's expected that all involved know what it means and it doesn't have to be restated each time. But it only works if both sides know what the phrase means. Communication is always an act of imprecision, even at the best of times, so we hope that using shorthand that is understand lets us to be clearer in the tougher stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:44pm
Olaf wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

I don’t want to brag, but I’m a champion of both.
Apparently you're unaware that Kraft sponsors the Greater Nashville Darting Association. It ain't the same since corporate sponsorship moved in.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Plus GNDA was just a fun silly in-joke here to cope with all the SRPs. And to ameliorate all the heady DCT.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:47pm
gkbill wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Well, yeah, it only works if both sides of the communication understand the shorthand. If both sides share the knowledge, the abbreviated version means you can get to the meat of the communication more efficiently. We do it all the time with concepts. Marxists don't spell out what, say, mode of production means every time they want to talk about the conditions of labour. They just use that short phrase and get on with their greater point. Sabermetricians don't explain the logic and formula behind WAR every time they assess a ballplayer's value. It's expected that all involved know what it means and it doesn't have to be restated each time. But it only works if both sides know what the phrase means. Communication is always an act of imprecision, even at the best of times, so we hope that using shorthand that is understand lets us to be clearer in the tougher stuff.
Hello,

Okay, great! Thanks for that. Going forward, please understand I do not understand any initials with the following exceptions: ASAP, and all major sport associations/leagues. What a great day!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 3:48pm
Plus GNDA was just a fun silly in-joke here to cope with all the SRPs. And to ameliorate all the heady DCT.
My memory may be fuzzy here, but I think I was christened as one of the original SRPs. :sad:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
13 Jul 2020, 4:01pm
Okay, great! Thanks for that. Going forward, please understand I do not understand any initials with the following exceptions: ASAP, and all major sport associations/leagues. What a great day!
10-4, roger, A-OK!