Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 6:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 5:32pm
Flex wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 4:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 4:31pm
In the context of your argument yesterday that the board is dominated by 70s pop fans (rather than punk fans), I would have greatly appreciated your iconoclasm.
come back at me when someone puts up Anne Murray
You needed me?
Wikipedia says she's sold over 55M albums worldwide. I won't read a more depressing fact today, I'm sure.
Jesus. I only remember that one song cos it was high in the charts back in the day and my mother always turned the radio up when it came on.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 2 Vote - Round 3

Post by Heston »

I will deflect Flex's first point about the intro. It was deliberately done like that to simulate the feeling of just walking into a club and the record is already playing. Not to mention the fabulous piano glissando at the start. Then they come in with not the chorus but the second half of the chorus. A totally nifty move because then it all resolves to the home key as the verse starts and you immediately feel the tension dissipate.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 7:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 6:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

You needed me?
Wikipedia says she's sold over 55M albums worldwide. I won't read a more depressing fact today, I'm sure.
Jesus. I only remember that one song cos it was high in the charts back in the day and my mother always turned the radio up when it came on.
I suppose most people think about "Snowbird," but my immediate memory is of a Canadian PSA from the late 70s, early 80s about discrimination against handicapped people. Shots of people in wheelchairs who can't get on the bus or in buildings, while "What About Me" plays.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 7:17pm
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 7:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You needed me?
I suppose most people think about "Snowbird," but my immediate memory is of a Canadian PSA from the late 70s, early 80s about discrimination against handicapped people. Shots of people in wheelchairs who can't get on the bus or in buildings, while "What About Me" plays.
The only thing i knew about her was You Needed Me was a big hit here in late 70s, literally never gave her a second thought up till now. And depressingly I've just read Boyzone released a cover of it, if i only ask one thing it's that i reach the end of whatever purpose i have on this godforsaken planet without ever having to hear it.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In the context of your argument yesterday that the board is dominated by 70s pop fans (rather than punk fans), I would have greatly appreciated your iconoclasm.
You needed me?
Attachments
189F36A5-9020-428E-81AC-BC95301DCC96.jpeg
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 7:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

You needed me?
Tou-fucking-ché. :yuck:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 7:39pm
And depressingly I've just read Boyzone released a cover of it, if i only ask one thing it's that i reach the end of whatever purpose i have on this godforsaken planet without ever having to hear it.
What the fuck is it about young people resurrecting songs that deserve to be lost to the Party's memory hole? These shits could be discovering and hyping Magazine or Aztec Camera—just pulling two bands out of my head—but they champion Anne Murray and Toto?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 7:54pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You needed me?
However, if I'm being honest, I'd probably rather listen to Zamfir than Murray. In a crab juice sense.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
come back at me when someone puts up Take a Chance on Me
Now we're talking. DQ is such a bland song.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 8:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 7:54pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

You needed me?
However, if I'm being honest, I'd probably rather listen to Zamfir than Murray. In a crab juice sense.
It's distinct, so I guess it has that going for it.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 7:13pm
I will deflect Flex's first point about the intro. It was deliberately done like that to simulate the feeling of just walking into a club and the record is already playing. Not to mention the fabulous piano glissando at the start. Then they come in with not the chorus but the second half of the chorus. A totally nifty move because then it all resolves to the home key as the verse starts and you immediately feel the tension dissipate.
I think part of the problem is I don't want the tension to dissipate, I want it to ratchet up as good disco does. It should be turning into a thumping banger, not sort of riding along on cruise control.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
And depressingly I've just read Boyzone released a cover of it, if i only ask one thing it's that i reach the end of whatever purpose i have on this godforsaken planet without ever having to hear it.
What the fuck is it about young people resurrecting songs that deserve to be lost to the Party's memory hole? These shits could be discovering and hyping Magazine or Aztec Camera—just pulling two bands out of my head—but they champion Anne Murray and Toto?
On the upside you could argue the more hopeless dirges sent Ronan Keatings way, the less opportunity for that hopeless talent vacuum to butcher actual good songs like Fairytale of New York. Swings and roundabouts.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 8:11pm
Heston wrote:
I think part of the problem is I don't want the tension to dissipate, I want it to ratchet up as good disco does. It should be turning into a thumping banger, not sort of riding along on cruise control.
Word. And yeah, unless it's up against a monster song, I would strongly consider Take a Chance.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 8:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
On the upside you could argue the more hopeless dirges sent Ronan Keatings way, the less opportunity for that hopeless talent vacuum to butcher actual good songs like Fairytale of New York. Swings and roundabouts.
I suppose. I'd just as soon the wretched songs remain buried rather than get animated like zombies.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Heston wrote:
Hello,

I'm not sure if you mean tension in some musical structure sense, but tension is not something I sense when listening to Dancing Queen. I will admit to not being much of an ABBA fan but I really don't get any tension, suspense, or any other emotion really - the song's about dancing and that's about it. Enlighten me.