16%
The Supremes, "Come See About Me"
16%

Total votes: 19

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 5 Vote - Round 2

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The people continue to speak and it warms my heart. Now make it burn by winnowing this group of four.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: The Ultimate Women's Album - Side 1 Track 5 Vote - Round 2

Post by matedog »

This Althea and Donna track is interesting. I have never heard of it before (seems like it was a big hit in UK only) and the backstory is quite unique. It's good but certainly pales in comparison to pretty much every nominated track. Looks like it's going to win regardless, which is fine, since it's nice to have some reggae on a playlist.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 9:37am
This Althea and Donna track is interesting. I have never heard of it before (seems like it was a big hit in UK only) and the backstory is quite unique. It's good but certainly pales in comparison to pretty much every nominated track. Looks like it's going to win regardless, which is fine, since it's nice to have some reggae on a playlist.
I wouldn't say it pales in comparison. I voted for it because I think it's the best song there.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 10:01am
matedog wrote:
I wouldn't say it pales in comparison. I voted for it because I think it's the best song there.
Same. It's a definite grower, as well, I think the impact builds over the years.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 10:13am
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Same. It's a definite grower, as well, I think the impact builds over the years.
America never really caught on to reggae. I'm sure I read that somewhere.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Uptown Top Ranking for me. Great song. This was a tough round, I'd be okay with any of these nominations getting it (and a fair few from the first heat as well).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 11:30am
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Reggae?
Yeah there was that Eric Clapton song right?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
It's always been seen as novelty music around here, which is as nuts as nuts gets. Not as many Jamaican immigrants I suppose.

My vote is also for Uptown, as it was going to be my nomination before Olaf did it before me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:51pm
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
It's always been seen as novelty music around here, which is as nuts as nuts gets. Not as many Jamaican immigrants I suppose.

My vote is also for Uptown, as it was going to be my nomination before Olaf did it before me.
Yeah, reggae didn’t really make chart impact here in the 60s/early 70s because there really wasn’t a large immigrant population from the Caribbean to champion and import it. Like, there are millions of reggae fans in America now, but that’s down to the law of large numbers. Per capita, it’s a niche genre.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Wolter wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 1:27pm
Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:

Yeah, reggae didn’t really make chart impact here in the 60s/early 70s because there really wasn’t a large immigrant population from the Caribbean to champion and import it. Like, there are millions of reggae fans in America now, but that’s down to the law of large numbers. Per capita, it’s a niche genre.
Yes and many of those fans...

So there's the people that enjoy the music and there's the people who like to promote it as part of their Deadhead, Phish stoner vibe. Which is to say if there were no connection to pot in reggae, these people would have no connection to reggae, except maybe some token Bob Marley songs.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

Olaf is great an all but he's no Marky Dread. :rolleyes:

I hadn't noticed Olaf had picked it. But it's great love it.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 03 Aug 2020, 3:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
The Clash were huge fans. Had it on the jukebox in Rehearsal Rehearsals. As big an influence as Junior Muffin for contemporary sound.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Uptown Town for me easy choice.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Just listened to it like three times in a row and I just don't get it. Like I said, it's fine, the music is great and there is some charm to the vocals, but the melody isn't particularly strong and they aren't very good singers. I guess that's part of the charm, but this running away with this competition is baffling. Back to Black is seriously 10 times the song Uptown Top Ranking is in melody and performance. Lyrics are like the tenth thing I look at in a song and I'm just starting to look at UTR's. They do have a nice swagger and seem to be a strong feature. It's also hard to compare songs that are so lyrically different.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 5:50pm
Just listened to it like three times in a row and I just don't get it. Like I said, it's fine, the music is great and there is some charm to the vocals, but the melody isn't particularly strong and they aren't very good singers. I guess that's part of the charm, but this running away with this competition is baffling. Back to Black is seriously 10 times the song Uptown Top Ranking is in melody and performance. Lyrics are like the tenth thing I look at in a song and I'm just starting to look at UTR's. They do have a nice swagger and seem to be a strong feature. It's also hard to compare songs that are so lyrically different.
Does a song just rest on melody and lyrics though? Or is the whole vibe the thing that counts? That imperceptible thing which marks out a great record. There's thousands of songs with pretty, well-constructed melodies which I despise. Then there's songs which rant away on one note which are superb.